Jeep Renegade Forum banner

Sky Roof Issue / Won't Open

29K views 42 replies 11 participants last post by  Nev 
#1 ·
I have a 2016 Renegade Limited. When I push the button to open the sky roof it doesn't open. There is still the noise it normally makes when opening but nothing happens. I have never had any issues with the sky roof before. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
What were the previous conditions like over the last 7 days?

Wind and sand driving into your sky roof? Were you just lazy and never lubricated the sky roof? A genuine fault has occurred?

I can generate many scenarios to replicate your issues but only you can assist by informing us all what your sun-roof was like prior to your fault.

Please dont think I am being overly attentive but I always believe that the more information that is available then the quicker and easier it may be to find you a resolution to your issue. :D:D:D

#38 ·
We now have this exact same problem
The sky roof is hardly ever used because it’s usually too hot and sunny
But we have had a lot of torrential rain over the past few weeks
I have tried spraying WD40 spray lubricant on the tracks but no luck
The car was to be sold today but the roof wouldn’t work as they were paying deposit!!!

#3 ·
So the weather conditions here have been normal. I live in Pennsylvania so no sand or anything like that. I haven't been driving it much due to the stay at home orders.

I have never lubricated the sky roof. I didn't know that was needed or required.

I have taken the front panel off and on multiple times thinking something wasn't lined up properly but I keep getting the same result. It makes the noise but nothing happens.

Thanks

#4 ·
You could have your clips broken that connect the sunroof panel frame to the motorized guides. I had this issue on one side. You can verify that by removing the sunroof panel frame with a few screws.

You need to take out the front MySky roof panel. Then, there’s two screws you need to remove, one on each side, that hold down the wind buffer. Then, remove the 4 screws, 2 on each side, that hold the frame to the brackets. These are on the forward end of the frame.

Now manipulate the frame up and out of the way. It’ll still be hinged at the back, but you can work around that. From there, you got a view of the mechanism and can begin diagnosing the issue. If it is that piece that broke, I do have a solution, but I’ll only tell you if you verify that’s what’s wrong because I don’t wanna waste your time ;)

Good luck sir

#10 ·
I just did what you said and it was the clip that broke off like in the guys picture above. I have the piece because it fell out 2 days ago and I was wondering where it came from.

Jeepatron - what is your solution to fix for this and how do I do it exactly?

Thanks!

#12 ·
I just did what you said and it was the clip that broke off like in the guys picture above. I have the piece because it fell out 2 days ago and I was wondering where it came from.

Jeepatron - what is your solution to fix for this and how do I do it exactly?

Thanks!
I used JB Weld PlasticWeld to connect the broken bracket to the motorized post. It’s basically a putty that solidifies very well with plastics. It holds up great. I put a link to it above.

Unfortuatley, they don’t sell the part individually. I did plenty of research and visited many dealerships and the only way to get that single, $5 piece, is to purchase the entire MySky roof, which was a $4500 estimate. It wasn’t worth it to me. I wish they sold that piece alone because it seems to be the weak point and breaks on many Renegades with MySkys.

Good luck on your fix! If you get that JB Weld stuff, let me know and I’ll give you a step by step tutorial on how I applied and formed it.

#18 · (Edited)
Sanding and filing the surface area can be readily achieved. Take a small nail file that a female (then again :unsure::p) might use for her nails and use that.

A better way is to use a couple of dabs of superglue around a very small screwdriver or similar item and then run a small strip of medium grit sandpaper around the screwdriver. Once bonded you now have a circular sander to get into the smaller crevices.

You may be fortunate and own a small Dremmel type crafting tool which will prove invaluable for cutting out and sanding any parts of your hardened filler to recreate the exact shape that you require.

I once used a similar substance to recreate a new screwtop of my very small petrol tank on an extremely small outboard.

The world is your oyster when imagining what different tools you can use to sculpt the correct shape. (y)(y)(y)

I have just noticed what could be 2 additional cracks. Hopefully I am wrong 😢

Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part

#26 ·
Thank you for the step by step guide of how to do it. I will wait for the pictures so I have a better idea of what to do.

Thanks again!
No probelm! I actually posted some pictures already in a few replies above this one that you could look at. They’re probably the best that I can do because I already have everything done and set with my sunroof, so I can’t take any pictures of the progress.

#27 ·
No luck. Even after letting the putty cure over night it still just ripped right off. Im also noticing this morning that the putty is still malleable enough for me to rip with my hands. Not really sure what I’m doing wrong or if I have the wrong JB plastic weld. Im about to try again and just leave it for a few days without trying to open it but if you have any other advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Attachments

#32 ·
[QUOTE = "Smalofiy, gönderi: 913143, üye: 102489"]
2016 Renegade Limited'im var. Gökyüzü çatısını açmak için düğmeye bastığımda açılmıyor. Hala açarken normalde çıkardığı gürültü var ama hiçbir şey olmuyor. Daha önce gökyüzü çatısıyla ilgili hiç bir sorun yaşamadım. Herhangi bir öneri?
[/ALINTI]
Sıvı gres ile rayları yağlayın düzelir

#35 ·
Well I have been told its a lube issue mine was working fine until one day it stuck on open and with the help of youtube and muscle I got it closed... been told it needs a servicing and a re-lube so good luck if it works let us all know hope you have put in a K&N filter to save on both gas and getting extra jump power... from stops also check messages if you have sun-visor clip issues...Tito Sam

#36 ·
Great job to come up with a fix that Jeep/Chrysler should have come up with a fix for. This is BS!!!! 1st mine wasn't working the day I bought it, which was later fixed with the lube. Now for want of a plastic clip that Jeep can't seem to have a solution for, we're forming JB Weld to create a part that may or may not work until I get it right. At least I have hope that it will work again vs the $3,600 my Jeep dealership told me replacing the unit, plus labor would cost.

#39 ·
The car was to be sold today but the roof wouldn’t work as they were paying deposit!!!

#40 ·
Try a different lubricant, I use white lithium grease in a spray can. Be sure you’re messing with the rear tracks, as those are the ones that get dry quickly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.