Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought I'd start a thread for all of us to come up with a "road tool kit." I've set up an arbitrary limit (Craftsman 14" tool box). So heres what I have in it..
8mm to 19mm combo wrenches (boxend one side, open end the other)
8 to 19mm socket sets (both deep and standard)
P1, P2, F1, F2 (phillips and flatblade screwdrivers)
gloves
1/4 and 3/8 socket wrenches
Long torx wrenches

What should I add/subtract?

· Registered
119 Posts
The flashlight in the cargo area is novel. I would not want to use it for much though. It is pitifully dim. I carry a headlamp and spare batteries. If you offroad, I would add a tow strap. Nothing is more embarrassing (or dangerous) than being caught stuck without the most basic of recovery equipment.

· Registered
105 Posts
and perhaps a small emergency flask or similar calming vice ;-)

In my little tool box, I also have a folding utility knife, a small roll of electrical tape, several 10-12 inch zip ties, a small wet-wipe packet and some needle-nose pliers
Are you repairing or kidnapping?
Lol... Now rereading that, it does sound a little nafarrious. Rest assured, it's all legit :)

· Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Still a n00b

The flashlight in the cargo area is novel. I would not want to use it for much though. It is pitifully dim. I carry a headlamp and spare batteries. If you offroad, I would add a tow strap. Nothing is more embarrassing (or dangerous) than being caught stuck without the most basic of recovery equipment.
I think I know the answer, just making sure. The tow strap is for someone to pull you out, not self rescue, correct?

· Registered
119 Posts
Correct. I encountered a Toyota Tundra stuck to his frame in a sandy wash about 2 months ago. Neither of us had a tow strap. After an hour trying to help him get unstuck, the encounter ended with a phone call to the ONLY tow company willing to come winch him out. Minimum charge? $400. Paid up-front by cc before they would even depart. I felt so bad for the guy (and his very angry wife holding their infant daughter). On the way home that day, I stopped at Wally World and bought a Reese tow strap and have kept it in my car ever since. As soon as someone offers a bullbar that will allow fitting a winch, I'll be adding that as well.

· Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I removed the foam plug next to my tire under the board. I have filled the spot with jumper cables, a tow strap, a flashlight and 12 volt powered tire inflator. On the other side I have a shovel and axe, spare tire kit and an additional tool kit.

Does this sound like a decent start for accomodating self rescue?

· Registered
181 Posts
Since my TrailHawk is Orange, I thought I should add some Hunters Orange Duct Tape.
YES! DUCT TAPE!!
I also want to add the knife and a vice-grip or some other clamping device.
I also always bring a 1/2 breaker bar with the appropriate socket for the lug nuts.

Generally, after you work on it a few times, you'll know what to pack.

· Premium Member
916 Posts
Don't forget your First Aid Kits!!!! ;)
First Aid Kit? pffrt We don't need no sticking First Aid Kit. We are Renegades, Duct tape will suffice and hold everything in place, even organs.

>:D

All joking aside, Good topic. I figure with all the suggestions made, it can probably be broken down into 3 necessary groups. Minor, average and hard core.
Disclaimer: These are what I think the 3 groups could be, YMMV.

Minor
  • Water bottle (or liquor) and a deck of cards to past the time until help comes when all else fails
  • Rain poncho or umbrella
  • small flashlight (other than the one provided in the Renegade, one that clamps)
  • First Aid Kit
  • Duct Tape
  • Emergency Hammer Escape Tool
  • Non-perishable snacks

Average (All of above,, plus..)
  • Folding utility knife
  • Bungee cords
  • Roll of electrical tape
  • Small wet-wipe packet
  • 10-12 inch zip ties
  • Jumper Cables (or portable Jump Starter/compressor)
  • Gloves
  • Windshield ice scrapper

Hard core (All of above plus...)

• Craftsman 14" tool box with contents of
  • 8mm to 19mm combo wrenches (boxend one side, open end the other)
  • 8 to 19mm socket sets (both deep and standard)
  • P1, P2, F1, F2 (phillips and flatblade screwdrivers)
  • gloves
  • 1/4 and 3/8 socket wrenches
  • Long torx wrenches
  • Needle-nose pliers
  • Mag light (with 4 d cells)
  • Tow strap
  • Moving Blanket
  • Ratcheting tie downs
  • 3 Reflective Warning Triangle
  • WD-40
  • Fire Extinguisher

I guess one would have to choose what they want the most since putting every one of these items will result in no cargo space afterwards. lol

TS

· Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Actually it fits really well...

First Aid Kit? pffrt We don't need no sticking First Aid Kit. We are Renegades, Duct tape will suffice and hold everything in place, even organs.

>:D

All joking aside, Good topic. I figure with all the suggestions made, it can probably be broken down into 3 necessary groups. Minor, average and hard core.
Disclaimer: These are what I think the 3 groups could be, YMMV.

Minor
  • Water bottle (or liquor) and a deck of cards to past the time until help comes when all else fails
  • Rain poncho or umbrella
  • small flashlight (other than the one provided in the Renegade, one that clamps)
  • First Aid Kit
  • Duct Tape
  • Emergency Hammer Escape Tool
  • Non-perishable snacks

Average (All of above,, plus..)
  • Folding utility knife
  • Bungee cords
  • Roll of electrical tape
  • Small wet-wipe packet
  • 10-12 inch zip ties
  • Jumper Cables (or portable Jump Starter/compressor)
  • Gloves
  • Windshield ice scrapper

Hard core (All of above plus...)

• Craftsman 14" tool box with contents of
  • 8mm to 19mm combo wrenches (boxend one side, open end the other)
  • 8 to 19mm socket sets (both deep and standard)
  • P1, P2, F1, F2 (phillips and flatblade screwdrivers)
  • gloves
  • 1/4 and 3/8 socket wrenches
  • Long torx wrenches
  • Needle-nose pliers
  • Mag light (with 4 d cells)
  • Tow strap
  • Moving Blanket
  • Ratcheting tie downs
  • 3 Reflective Warning Triangle
  • WD-40
  • Fire Extinguisher

I guess one would have to choose what they want the most since putting every one of these items will result in no cargo space afterwards. lol

TS
I have most of the above plus an axe (full size, cold steel) and shovel (cold steel as well) under my floor board in the back packed around and on the spare.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.