Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. So this is an interesting project I decided to work on. I did not want to have a switch to control my lights anymore. So I thought why not use an extra Shelly 1 that I have. It's a wifi controlled relay switch. I've got it all wired up to the lights and I had someone touch the power and ground to battery for a test before I wire it up for good, and it works perfectly!! So, I thought I was on to the next step when it dawned on me... where do I tap into auxiliary power in the engine bay!? A smart person would have STARTED from there first, solved THAT problem, and THEN wire up all the lights...

Anyways, on with the issue I'm here for. I need quick and easy way to tap into auxiliary power in the engine bay. I thought about "add a circuit" but I don't want to drill holes in the fuse box.

If...IF I can't tap into aux safely in the engine bay, then I may run power into the cabin. So any advice on this would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thank you all :)
JP

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Renegade, Latitude, 2.4L 4x4, black, 9 speed automatic, MySky
393 Posts
Hey everyone. So this is an interesting project I decided to work on. I did not want to have a switch to control my lights anymore. So I thought why not use an extra Shelly 1 that I have. It's a wifi controlled relay switch. I've got it all wired up to the lights and I had someone touch the power and ground to battery for a test before I wire it up for good, and it works perfectly!! So, I thought I was on to the next step when it dawned on me... where do I tap into auxiliary power in the engine bay!? A smart person would have STARTED from there first, solved THAT problem, and THEN wire up all the lights...

Anyways, on with the issue I'm here for. I need quick and easy way to tap into auxiliary power in the engine bay. I thought about "add a circuit" but I don't want to drill holes in the fuse box.

If...IF I can't tap into aux safely in the engine bay, then I may run power into the cabin. So any advice on this would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thank you all :)
JP
My auxiliary power is power directly from the battery, but activated on and off from a relay running from the cigarette lighter. A little laborious and I’m sure there’s another way to do it, but it was just the first thing that popped in my mind.

·
Super Moderator
3,442 Posts
This is for a light bar? Jeepatron's method is the old tride and true for something with more draw. Power off the battery with an in line fuse and use a relay of some sort to switch with something powered that already behaves the way you want.

But you are using a shelly 1, which is the relay, and the thing you want to switch with is the smart phone app. So taking that out of the equation, you just hang it off the battery with an inline fuse like you would for a big car amp.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your responses! I had come up with a solution and wanted to make sure it worked before I shared.

I bought a low voltage disconnect that kills the connection if the incoming voltage drops below a certain point. So I can safely connect to battery without worrying about draining it. And it worked! With the lights on, door open, and accessory power on, it took a couple of minutes for it to drop below 12.1 and it killed power to the Shelly. Once I started the engine, the Shelly came back online.

Next up is getting a micro wifi router for in vehicle network.

:love:

·
Registered
2017 Jeep Renegade Limited AWD 2.4L
697 Posts
Thank you for your responses! I had come up with a solution and wanted to make sure it worked before I shared.

I bought a low voltage disconnect that kills the connection if the incoming voltage drops below a certain point. So I can safely connect to battery without worrying about draining it. And it worked! With the lights on, door open, and accessory power on, it took a couple of minutes for it to drop below 12.1 and it killed power to the Shelly. Once I started the engine, the Shelly came back online.

Next up is getting a micro wifi router for in vehicle network.

:love:
I’m just curious how this Shelly thing works. I looked it up and still a bit confused what you are planning to do with it or how it works. A guess I have is that you’ll now be able to simply speak “Hey Google (or Alexa), turn headlights on.” Is this correct?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is one option, but there is also an app. I can control the lights from the app on my phone. It's not the greatest setup, since you can do the same with bluetooth. I think bluetooth makes more sense. Either way, the disconnect also draws power. The battery was dead this morning 😅 so I'll have to end up pulling power from an add a circuit to the rear fuse box. 🤷🏼‍♂️

1 - 6 of 6 Posts