Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
2016 Trailhawk
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see these snorkels being installed, but given the fording depth of the Trailhawk is 19 inches and the snorkels connect well above that, they don't really improve anything do they?

... Not sure.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

· Super Moderator
2,565 Posts
I wouldn't wade over the top of the rims, in which case a snorkel would be overkill.

Although the actual intake should have been put higher up nearer the back of the engine bay, if you ask me.

· Registered
2015 Trailhawk
995 Posts
Really, if you need a vehicle with a fording capability that requires the air intake to be at the roofline, you need something other than the Renegade.

Reactions: Tom Imm

· Super Moderator
2,565 Posts
Looking at the door seals I wouldn't be under any illusion that you'll at least get some H₂O in the Renegade's cabin
if you go much deeper than sill height water.

As opposed to a Land/Range Rover which have triple door seals that are checked and cleaned
as part of the service schedule.

· Registered
116 Posts
Putting a twist on stupidity huh?
Next thing you know, FIAT hooks up the snorkel inside the car so it will not suck in dusts.
Yeah, it doesn't matter if you have a "snorkel" if the rest of your vehicle can't ford more water...... Most snorkels say on the instructions that they are for getting clean air in dusty conditions including the one from Avid. The Renegade is just not that vehicle & people insist on trying to make it into what it isn't just because the grill says "Jeep".

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

· Registered
681 Posts
The Renegade is just not that vehicle & people insist on trying to make it into what it isn't just because the grill says "Jeep".

This I agree.
...But they might put the air intake nozzle from inside the car so it will not suck dust from the outside. That is when FIAT gets the "edge" amongst the water forders.

· Super Moderator
3,715 Posts
The Renegade is just not that vehicle & people insist on trying to make it into what it isn't just because the grill says "Jeep".

ROBINSONMAC

Yet again, you are proven right by this video.
So you are saying that the snorkels make sense on wranglers with their 30" water fording depth?

snorkels could make sense for water fording back before lots of electronics and airbags. On relatively modern cars, you are rolling the dice after a certain depth, a snorkel jest lets you take hydrolocking the engine from the intake side out of the question.

· Registered
681 Posts
So you are saying that the snorkels make sense on wranglers with their 30" water fording depth?

snorkels could make sense for water fording back before lots of electronics and airbags. On relatively modern cars, you are rolling the dice after a certain depth, a snorkel jest lets you take hydrolocking the engine from the intake side out of the question.
No what i'm saying is I was wrong all along, did not realize they are for dusty roads.

· Registered
116 Posts
https://youtu.be/MKhBEio_Ia8

When they made that video, I think they said they had to move a sensor up an inch or so (air bag crash sensor?) to protect it. That was supposedly the only modification made for that demonstration. Of course, closed course, controlled conditions, but still interesting to see.
Also you can see in the video that the water is not that deep. That man made white water course was only 12" - 18" deep on the section they drove on. They turned around at the deeper section.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.