Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Renegade fans! I saw the 2015 Jeep Renegade at the Chicago International Auto Show last February and have been reading the topics here. The last time I visited a Jeep dealership in early March, they didn’t have any Renegades to test drive. I have a few questions before taking one out for a test drive. Thank you.

• The Trailhawk model has undercarriage skid plates. How much time does it take to remove the skid plates when service is needed like an oil change? Hours? Minutes?
  • Does the 2.4L Tigershark engine have a timing chain or a timing belt?
  • What is the 2.4L engine’s chain/belt change frequency?
  • Is the 2.4L engine an interference or a non-interference engine?
  • Does the 2.4L engine take regular or premium gas?

·
Registered
87 Posts
The 2.4 litre engine is chain driven so the frequency of changing the timing belt is not necessary nor are concerns regarding interference/non-interference engine. The engine runs on 87 octane fuel. Not sure about the question regading skid plates

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Yeah, that was my thread.

The front skid plate severely limits the access to the filter & drain plug. There are 10 bolts that hold the plate to the underframe, and 5 additional Torx screws that hold the lower bumper cover to the skid plate. I don't know how much it weighs, but figure about 10-15 pounds.

When I do my first oil change, I will consider cutting access holes in the skid plate if cutting doesn't ruin its structural integrity.

For those who may not know, only the Trailhawk has the skid plates.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Both the 1.4L and 2.4L that the US is getting utilize timing chains rather than belts. FCA switched back to timing chains when they added multi-air tech to their engines, however I'm not sure about the chains/belts of the engines that come on EU engines. Both the 1.4L and 2.4L ARE interference engines, however since they have a chain, and since they use the whole variable valve timing thing, it shouldn't matter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.