Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Exactly. A smaller spare is known as a space saver. I won't say common, but I have seen several vehicles in the UK using them.
My experience is more on the Cherokee side of our car port...

I know with the Cherokee, the options for spares are:

flat kit: default
small tubular spare: costs extra
full-sized spare (comes with Tow Package, and Trailhawk trim): costs extra extra

My Cherokee TH came with full-sized spare on a steel wheel, whereas my soon-to-be-wife's came with full-sized matched. I'm a bit jealous, because I don't want to end up with a lop-sided spare in the event I need to use it. I'd rather have 5 wheels to rotate through.

·
Registered
157 Posts
When you say "full-size spare," what exactly does that mean? Is it actually the same size wheel and tire as you have on your Renegade right now? Can you post a pic?
When I ordered my Latitude one of the options that I added was the full size spare. It is not the same tire but it is the same diameter but much thinner. My stock tires are 215/65r16 and the spare is 140/90r16, anything bigger and it wouldn't fit in the truck compartment.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thanks, folks. It's just odd to me to have something called "full-size" that's not actually "full-size." If it was actually full-size, it wouldn't be thinner. I'd like to get a spare at some point soon and wanna be sure I understand what I'm ordering.

Again, thanks for the input!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thanks, folks. It's just odd to me to have something called "full-size" that's not actually "full-size." If it was actually full-size, it wouldn't be thinner. I'd like to get a spare at some point soon and wanna be sure I understand what I'm ordering.

Again, thanks for the input!
A true full-sized spare, should be the same tire that's on all of your other wheels, on a steel (or matched) wheel.

·
Registered
108 Posts
A true full-sized spare, should be the same tire that's on all of your other wheels, on a steel (or matched) wheel.

Exactly my thought. But, I see lots of people calling the one that fits in the in the well under the cargo area a full-size spare even though it's not actually the same size. Seems like that's what Jeep is calling it as well. Just need to be clear, no matter where you get one, that you know exactly what it is you're getting. Make sure when you ask for an apple, you're clear that you're getting a McIntosh if you want McIntosh and not a Granny Smith, Golden Delicious, or Crabapple ;)

·
Registered
108 Posts
So riddle me this. How are the tire kits good for all models when some like the limited have larger wheels

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would probably say this ... because any wheel with the right bolt pattern that fits without spacers can be used as an emergency spare to get you to the nearest service station. The intent of that type of spare is for that type of limited distance and use, not as an actual replacement.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When you say "full-size spare," what exactly does that mean? Is it actually the same size wheel and tire as you have on your Renegade right now? Can you post a pic?
The tire is the same size on a steel rim but yes, it is thinner. It took a few minutes to actually figure out what I was getting. Chrysler/Jeep calls it their full size spare kit. You can get the exact tire and rim that comes on the Renegade but it is big bucks. I don't like the tire inflator considering there is a good chance of getting a non repairable flat offroad. This tire/rim combination is all I need to have a little piece of mind. The last flat I had was a sidewall puncture, the tire inflator won't be any good for that and without some kind of spare, even a doughnut, there's not much you can do. Also, being a thinner tire there is still room in the compartment to store stuff.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would probably say this ... because any wheel with the right bolt pattern that fits without spacers can be used as an emergency spare to get you to the nearest service station. The intent of that type of spare is for that type of limited distance and use, not as an actual replacement.
i was about to ask the same question on how tire kits are good for all models, but then i got what you pointed out. Tire kits cant really be actual replacements.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
That is all they are, get you home or to the nearest tyre outlet, emergency use only. The skinny space saver spare wheel has a maximum speed of around 80kmh/50mph.

Reactions: MetsFan

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the same issue when I ordered my Trailhawk at the dealership (In Reading, UK). I was given an option to add 'Space Saver Spare Wheel" at £150.00. The salesmen explained to me that it's a temporary use type with max speed of 50mph.

But I have myself chased them to why they did not offer me an option of full size spare wheel (which is also available at same cost £150). They did not get back with right answer and said they will offer that "full size spare tyre" as a dealer addition upon vehicle delivery in April 2016.

When I chased Jeep UK Social Care on twitter, they said... none of the Renegades have "space saver spare wheel" as an option but do have "full size spare wheel" as an option to add.

Believe me! we all as Renegade buyers have more knowledge than the dealers. They use their system to place order and don't even do proper power selling.

So I am going to wait for my TH to be delivered to see what's in the cargo area and then buy a Original 5th type/wheel 17inch. if I'm not able to store that in the given cargo area, will have it in boot when I go off road or long trips.

IMAGE of "Space Saver Spare Wheel" - http://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=19865&d=1442540430
IMAGE of actual "Full size Spare Wheel" in this article:
https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-reviews/2016-jeep-renegade-trailhawk-review/

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.