Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just ordered A trailer hitch spare tire carrier! i will post picture when it comes in and ill link the accessories in this thread:) I've done about 6 hours of research over the past 3 days and i'm almost positive this setup will work. I do realize that these accessories will stop me from opening my trunk (i have a fabricator who can add a hinge typed system to fold the tire carrier down when i need to open the trunk) and i also realize that my back up camera will more then likely be blocked (I've been capable of reversing without it for the past 5 years lol)

Hitch-
http://www.carid.com/curt/class-3-e...er-hitch-with-receiver-opening-mpn-13231.html

Tire Carrier-
http://www.carid.com/curt/spare-tire-mount-for-2-receivers-mpn-31006.html

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
What is wrong with where it is under the floor?. If you fold it down you will have very restricted access to the trunk area.
I open my tailgate several times every day and that would drive me mad(der).

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I've just ordered A trailer hitch spare tire carrier! i will post picture when it comes in and ill link the accessories in this thread:) I've done about 6 hours of research over the past 3 days and i'm almost positive this setup will work. I do realize that these accessories will stop me from opening my trunk (i have a fabricator who can add a hinge typed system to fold the tire carrier down when i need to open the trunk) and i also realize that my back up camera will more then likely be blocked (I've been capable of reversing without it for the past 5 years lol)

Hitch-
http://www.carid.com/curt/class-3-e...er-hitch-with-receiver-opening-mpn-13231.html

Tire Carrier-

There are many folding / swing away / hinged carriers on the market, saves you from fabing your own:
https://www.google.com/search?q=swing+away+trailer+hitch+spare+tire+carrier&newwindow=1&biw=1280&bih=629&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAmoVChMI9rHV7b-syAIVCpSICh26zgXx#imgrc=sy1-PKUqQ90q5M%3A

Also, have you considered the factory hitch kit from Renegade Ready:
http://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/fo...25874-renegade-ready-hitch-kit-installed.html

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have looked at the factory hitch kit, the one that stays inside the plastic bumper, i thought it was too expensive. plus the tire carrier is 24 inches tall and with the CURT hitch kit being lower i will be able to see a little more out my back window. the tire gate you linked looks very nice. if i hadn't already purchased these i would look into them more but i don't want to suffer through buyers remorse :p

·
Registered
246 Posts
i have looked at the factory hitch kit, the one that stays inside the plastic bumper, i thought it was too expensive. plus the tire carrier is 24 inches tall and with the CURT hitch kit being lower i will be able to see a little more out my back window. the tire gate you linked looks very nice. if i hadn't already purchased these i would look into them more but i don't want to suffer through buyers remorse :p
It's a nifty idea and I briefly thought of doing something similar to create more room in the cargo area, but I am fine with keeping my spare under the cargo floor.

But I think you'll hit buyer's remorse the first time you have to open your hatch back and have to pull the tire carrier out of the hitch. It's easier to cancel an order and get your money back now and order a swinging or folding carrier versus having to send it back after receipt or just eating the cost and living with something you find out later wasn't as great as you hoped.

·
Registered
122 Posts

Hitch-

Tire Carrier-
I guess the question most people are asking is "Why?"

If it's for the "look" there's nothing to really explain. You want a tire floating 12" away from your hatch.

If it's function...I'm not really understanding it. You're losing regular, easy access to the rear hatch, therefore you're not freeing up any realistically usable space where the spare is located now. (It's great space, but if you can't get to it easily, it's kind of a wash.) And, you're losing the rear-camera. This may not be a big deal because backing up isn't rocket science...backup cameras are still amazingly useful tools that will give you a view point your mirrors can't replicate. (Use them in unison, not against each other.) The other non-functional part, is you're permanantly taking over the hitch.

If you're going for "look," You probably still want to be functional. I'd recommend a roof-basket and toss the spare up there. You'll still have 100% use of your Renegade, and still garner that "off-road" style you're hunting.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
:D
I guess the question most people are asking is "Why?"

If it's for the "look" there's nothing to really explain. You want a tire floating 12" away from your hatch.

If it's function...I'm not really understanding it. You're losing regular, easy access to the rear hatch, therefore you're not freeing up any realistically usable space where the spare is located now. (It's great space, but if you can't get to it easily, it's kind of a wash.) And, you're losing the rear-camera. This may not be a big deal because backing up isn't rocket science...backup cameras are still amazingly useful tools that will give you a view point your mirrors can't replicate. (Use them in unison, not against each other.) The other non-functional part, is you're permanantly taking over the hitch.

If you're going for "look," You probably still want to be functional. I'd recommend a roof-basket and toss the spare up there. You'll still have 100% use of your Renegade, and still garner that "off-road" style you're hunting.

Perhaps we don't understand because it is a Jeep thing:D

·
Registered
122 Posts
:D

Perhaps we don't understand because it is a Jeep thing:D
Well, I ordered a $1600 roof rack for my Cherokee, and one of it's primary purposes is tossing the Spare up there to free up the sub-floor for storage.

So, I do get it. Because I like the style of the exposed spare, but style only goes so far, I like to mix the style and still keep my vehicle 100% functional.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gravitywell)
WHY?! great question, and you are correct, its for looks i think it will make Reginald (my renegades name) look a bit more "rugged." At least i'm hoping it will...:p

B440)
I did not think of that... i will look into it and post a pic of how i made that work.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright Update on he parts! i got them both in, threw them on and the actual hitch mounted spare tire carrier was only 24 inches tall.... i do not recommend to buy that but the receiver went on perfectly just a little shaving of some caulk and it fits great! i'm going to have he spare tire mount fabricated to get the hinge on it and to make it taller because don't like returning stuff lol. i'll post that pic when its done.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
I mentioned the Tire-Gate a while back in June

and was also bummed out when it was pointed out about the rear camera being blocked, but
1- If I haven't had a use for a back up camera all these years, I'll probably wouldn't miss not being able to use it.
2- I guess one can get an aftermarket license plate rear camera and slice/hook it up to the OEM one.

TS

Reactions: LittleRedJeep

·
Registered
83 Posts
Welp! its On, i have to go back to my fabricator to have a hinge thrown on and to lower the height a little but ill attach a picture of how it looks:)
Because of how high the tire sits in that setup right now, is the backup camera useful at all? Can you still see the bumper etc? I'm presuming when the tire is lower, the backup camera would be completely useless, just curious.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You cant see behind you but you can see down and if you were reversing into a parking spot, you can see when to stop before you back into a wall or curb. when it gets lowered i probably wont get much use of it... although because my bumper was really shiny i was able to see reflections and i was able to see some students walking behind me lol..

·
Registered
607 Posts
It's a nifty idea and I briefly thought of doing something similar to create more room in the cargo area, but I am fine with keeping my spare under the cargo floor.

But I think you'll hit buyer's remorse the first time you have to open your hatch back and have to pull the tire carrier out of the hitch. It's easier to cancel an order and get your money back now and order a swinging or folding carrier versus having to send it back after receipt or just eating the cost and living with something you find out later wasn't as great as you hoped.
Can you post pics of what the factory spare tire and wheel looks like for your latitude? I ordered my 2016 with it and I don't even know what its going to look like, LOL!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Can you post pics of what the factory spare tire and wheel looks like for your latitude? I ordered my 2016 with it and I don't even know what its going to look like, LOL!
I don't have my Renegade yet either. But will post this Nov/Dec when I get it! lol

Under the cargo floor, there is a foam insert for the spare wheel well and it holds the fix-a-flat spray canister. When you get the spare, you just remove the foam insert and the spare fills up the space and the cargo floor goes on top.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts