Jeep Renegade Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
I don't have my Renegade yet either. But will post this Nov/Dec when I get it! lol

Under the cargo floor, there is a foam insert for the spare wheel well and it holds the fix-a-flat spray canister. When you get the spare, you just remove the foam insert and the spare fills up the space and the cargo floor goes on top.
Ah, I assumed that would be how it was set up, I just haven't seen it in person or pictures yet. When do you think your renegade will arrive? You ordered thru westgate right? What did they charge you for a deposit if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Ah, I assumed that would be how it was set up, I just haven't seen it in person or pictures yet. When do you think your renegade will arrive? You ordered thru westgate right? What did they charge you for a deposit if you don't mind me asking?
Last tracking gave ETA of Dec 20-26. But that was very early and in line with FCA's standard "4-month" quote - so I am hoping for Nov or early Dec. And yes, Westgate. Paid $1,000 deposit. They low-balled my truck for trade-in, so I told them they weren't getting it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
**Update**

October 27th should be the day my fabrication will be done. Very excited, ill add pics.
Modifications to it include: Making it 19 inches taller, adding a swing down hinge and stop, adding latches, shortening it 3 inches.
(he says it will double as a table when swung down)

·
Registered
610 Posts
:D
Perhaps we don't understand because it is a Jeep thing:D
It's an irrational thing is what it is. The under mount hitch will reduce exit angle. For someone who likes to off-road, that should be a immediate red flag. Plus, it would also shift weight balance to the rear and affecting handling. If you had a hitch mounted on the front, then I guess it would be compensated.

Mounting a fullsized spare on the roof in a basket is not ideal either. It can be a pain to access. More importantly, it will make the Renegade top-heavy.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I don't have my Renegade yet either. But will post this Nov/Dec when I get it! lol

Under the cargo floor, there is a foam insert for the spare wheel well and it holds the fix-a-flat spray canister. When you get the spare, you just remove the foam insert and the spare fills up the space and the cargo floor goes on top.
Does it block the camera, licence plate and tailgate if you put it there?
>:D

·
Registered
48 Posts
I mentioned the Tire-Gate a while back in June

and was also bummed out when it was pointed out about the rear camera being blocked, but
1- If I haven't had a use for a back up camera all these years, I'll probably wouldn't miss not being able to use it.
2- I guess one can get an aftermarket license plate rear camera and slice/hook it up to the OEM one.

TS
Would you mind uploading a profile view of your renegade with the tire mount? I'd like to see what it looks like from the side.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
I don't have a Rene yet. That photo is a Photoshop I did. I may do one if I find a photo of the tiregate from the side.

TS

·
Registered
204 Posts
I would love to have a tire that was mounted on the back of the Jeep. Sadly the space under my cargo area is filled with gear like my sleeping bag, emergency supply. Hammock, python straps etc. Although I need something that would not make me hate life since I am opening the tailgate a lot. And would prefer not to loose the back up camera. Although was thinking with it on the back may be able to use the day star cam cam on it.

thought about storing one on the roof although a few problems with that, one is I am short at 5'5 and my partner in crime is 5 even. The other is no room on the roof with the sup racks and well the sups that are on the roof most days.

I was thinking about one on the hood of the jeep like on my old d90 although a couple problems I am concerned about. The first is my lack of knowledge...is the jeep built well enough for this to be a possibility. Is their a kit for it? And would I be able to see anything if I did this. Unless I crank the seat up high I don't have the best view of the front of the vehicle....but then the arm rest is out of comfortable reach.

I also liked having a shovel and such on the hood.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
I would love to have a tire that was mounted on the back of the Jeep. Sadly the space under my cargo area is filled with gear like my sleeping bag, emergency supply. Hammock, python straps etc. Although I need something that would not make me hate life since I am opening the tailgate a lot. And would prefer not to loose the back up camera. Although was thinking with it on the back may be able to use the day star cam cam on it.

thought about storing one on the roof although a few problems with that, one is I am short at 5'5 and my partner in crime is 5 even. The other is no room on the roof with the sup racks and well the sups that are on the roof most days.

I was thinking about one on the hood of the jeep like on my old d90 although a couple problems I am concerned about. The first is my lack of knowledge...is the jeep built well enough for this to be a possibility. Is their a kit for it? And would I be able to see anything if I did this. Unless I crank the seat up high I don't have the best view of the front of the vehicle....but then the arm rest is out of comfortable reach.

I also liked having a shovel and such on the hood.
Unfortunately your height leaves you at a disadvantage for using the roof rack unless you have a step stool. I don't think the open bonnet will take the weight of a spare wheel. You will have to remove the wheel each time you want to check the screen washer fluid, oil etc. Same if you mount the spare on the tailgate. You will be removing the spare each time you open the tailgate. The roof mounted spare is probably the best option, but you come back to the height of it.

If someone knows how to modify the tailgate so it opens on the side instead of the top, problem solved.

·
Registered
476 Posts
It should have come with a spare on the back!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I guess the question most people are asking is "Why?"

If it's for the "look" there's nothing to really explain. You want a tire floating 12" away from your hatch.

If it's function...I'm not really understanding it. You're losing regular, easy access to the rear hatch, therefore you're not freeing up any realistically usable space where the spare is located now. (It's great space, but if you can't get to it easily, it's kind of a wash.) And, you're losing the rear-camera. This may not be a big deal because backing up isn't rocket science...backup cameras are still amazingly useful tools that will give you a view point your mirrors can't replicate. (Use them in unison, not against each other.) The other non-functional part, is you're permanantly taking over the hitch.

If you're going for "look," You probably still want to be functional. I'd recommend a roof-basket and toss the spare up there. You'll still have 100% use of your Renegade, and still garner that "off-road" style you're hunting.
It's an easy answer, storage space. The spare tire compartment is where I store my sleep system, tools, and other gear. I currently have my spare on my roof rack, but I want that space to store my geri cans, max Trax, tent, and awnings. I live out of my deserthawk, and I travel everywhere. I was just in Colorado and now, 2 days later, I'm in Indiana. Anything to maximize storage space, and the spare is one of those things that takes up space, isn't always used, but absolutely important to have. Having it on the back is more practical than on a roof rack. Thought about a hood mount for the spare, but I don't want to commit to drilling into the hood or anything. So, the back spare carrier seems to be the most viable option, so long as it doesn't impede on the function of the hatch. We had our spares on the back of our hummers in Iraq and those had a rear hatch. The tire was mounted to a swing arm that moved it to the side and allowed the hatch to open and be entered freely. Something like that would probably be most practical, but the only one I see is made by avid, and they are never in stock.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts