Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My passenger side back speaker has a loud crackle to it. Started off subtle from day 1 and getting worse. I have about 8000 miles on the TH. I fear I may have waited to long to address with the dealer. Its def not blown because I am careful with the volume because it annoys the ever living %^$# out of me. Anyone have this issue? Suggestions?

· Registered
161 Posts
Improper grounding is the biggest (but not the only) cause of speaker noise. Crackle also indicates possible voice coil failure, which can happen once in awhile even with good speakers right out of the box. Doesn't happen often, but does happen. I'd just take it to the dealer, you paid a lot for a warrantied vehicle, let them find & solve the problem.

· Registered
41 Posts
I don't think it is a wiring/grounding problem. I have same issue currently. I strongly suspect it is the paper cone, that extends out from the center of the main cone, bouncing/tapping against the speaker grill/cover. I am swapping out my speakers in a few weeks and hope this issue will be resolved.

Quark

· Registered
953 Posts
I wouldn't expect the paper cone to make such a noticeable crackle. I would suspect the wiring, or at some point the speaker was blown, even if it was at some point before you actually gained ownership of the vehicle.

Take it to the dealer though because I guarantee you that it won't get fixed by pressing a few buttons or something like that. You'll probably have to open her up and look inside to see what's going on.

· Registered
1,635 Posts
I would just call then tell your dealer that you have a bad speaker and to order you one. When it comes in, have them call you to bring the car in and let them change it. The car has a warranty for just this type of thing.

And I would make sure they know that you don't listen to your music loudly (I don't either).

Reactions: NHDon

· Registered
100 Posts
Just had my drivers side rear speaker replaced. The cone was bad. At dealer for about 1.5 hrs and fixed it under warranty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.