Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did the upgrade (Beats 9 speaker) kinda in reverse due to sourcing the dash speaker wiring adaptors. This is a summary of my upgrade plus comment on what difference it made at each stage.

1) Replaced front door 6*9's with Kicker 41KSC694's using Metra 72-6514 adaptors with the wires switched round to make them 71-050's.
A little more bass but not much...slightly underwhelmed
2) Replaced the rear door 6*9's with Kicker 40CS54's 5.25 inch plus a 6*9 to 5.25 Scosche adaptor and Metra 72-6514's with the wires switched round to make them 71-050's (I didn't touch the rear door tweeters)
No noticeable difference
3) Replaced factor sub with Kicker 40 CWRT672 6.75inch...the reason it fits is because its actually 6.5 inch not 6.75inch. (see 'will a 6.75inch sub fit' thread for fitting details)
Much improved bass, but lacking the full bass frequency range I'd expect - pesky beats audio frequency crossover set-up.....so sound sounding better but rock music still sounds 'empty'
4) Replaced dash speakers with Kicker 41KSC354's using Metra 71-039C's.
WOW..WHAT A DIFFERENCE. There is still the frequency crossover issue but much improved, filling out more mids and base that were missing before. So not perfect but I will be able to start listening to music without my ears hurting.

So if I were making a recommendation for someone distressed at how horrid the expensive Beats audio sounds, based on 'bang for your buck' I'd do it in the following order if you wanted to spread the cost.
1) Dash Speakers
2) Sub
3) Front Door Speakers
4) Rear Door Speakers (I might not even bother changing them)

I still hope they come out with some sort of update to sort out the frequency
crossover issue (and any Beats EQ meddling) and recommend people keep giving appropriate feedback to Jeep.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Okay, so my experience differs in a couple ways. I don't have the Beats, I have the 6 speaker system in my trailhawk- so I don't have a subwoofer.
I also swapped out the dash and the front door speakers and in my 6 speaker system, both made significant improvement (Kickers, I suspect the same model as you). One of the reasons I can say this with confidence is that I did it in steps. One evening, I swapped the dash speakers out (so easy) and really liked the improvement, but felt like those small speakers didn't improve the bass at all. When I swapped the front door 6x9s, I got the bass boast I was hoping for AND improved sensitivity, so my system now plays louder at the same numeric volume setting as before.
I suspect the door speaker swap was a bigger improvement for me, since the Beat system apparently sends almost no bass to those speakers anyway, which make no sense, but I digress...

Anyway, thanks for the update and I hope you people with the Beats system find a solution. Dr Dre is laughing all the way to the bank...

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah....the oddest thing in the beats is the minimal use of the 6*9 front door speakers. No idea what they were thinking about.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Full range signal to the 3.5 in dash speaker, which isn't capable of a note below 100hz and midbass only to a 6x9, which could go down to 60-70 hz...nothing wrong there (Sarcasm alert- EVERYTHING wrong there)!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Okay, so my experience differs in a couple ways. I don't have the Beats, I have the 6 speaker system in my trailhawk- so I don't have a subwoofer.
I also swapped out the dash and the front door speakers and in my 6 speaker system, both made significant improvement (Kickers, I suspect the same model as you). One of the reasons I can say this with confidence is that I did it in steps. One evening, I swapped the dash speakers out (so easy) and really liked the improvement, but felt like those small speakers didn't improve the bass at all. When I swapped the front door 6x9s, I got the bass boast I was hoping for AND improved sensitivity, so my system now plays louder at the same numeric volume setting as before.
Any chance you could link me the kicker speakers you use for the front doors and what adapters you required on it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.