Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have them? The four speaker option seems pretty obvious. What about the six? Are the additional speakers just the two tweeters on top of the door sills up front? Do we get any additional wattage with the 6spkr system?

What about the 9spkr system? Speaker locations and brand? Subwoofer size and wattage? Any addtional wattage from the larger head unit?

If anyone could point me in the right direction, that'd be great! :ReneBlueWave:

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay so apparently the 9 speaker system includes a 6.5-inch subwoofer (lmao) and 506-watt amplifier (im sure). Still would like more details, surely some owns one of these by now?

· Registered
1,633 Posts
I have the 9 speaker system. There is a mid-woofer in each of the four doors. They might by 6x9 inch, but I don't know for sure. And there are two small speakers in the dash, one on each side, and two small speakers higher up in each rear door. The subwoofer is a 6.5-inch speaker mounted onto a rather large plastic enclosure giving the back of the speaker some air space.

I think it sounds fairly decent and has plenty of bass for me. I don't play my music at ear-splitting volumes o I can't tell you how loud it goes. If you're a true audiophile, I could see where you might not be totally satisfied but it if plenty good enough for me.

506 watts seems like a lot, but it is not a lot for a 9 speaker system. The loud, thumping audio systems have more than 4 times the power.

Reactions: Rebel

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a ton for the review, bwbike! I eneded up finding a bit of info in a thread buried deep in the general subforum, which is sadly where most of the forum content currently lies. From loooking at the door speaker on a test drive, I'm thinking they may be 5x7's, but until someone takes the grill off, we won't know for sure. Me laughing at the specs was more in their insinuation at the fact that a 6.5" driver could be considered a subwoofer, and assuming the "506 watt" rating is probably very generous, as is usually the case with car manufacturers and their premium audio systems.

Never the less, the ~$500 add-on seems like a great deal, even if you plan on upgrading. The line out for the stock sub can be used to feed a real sub, and a high-pass tuned to around 70hz can be applied to the stock sub, turning it into a mid-bass driver, something much more appropriate for a 6.5" woofer. This allows you to crossover you true sub at a lower hz, making your bass more musical, especially if you're going with a ported sub tuned low. On top of that you have all the extra factory locations to mount aftermarket speaker, if you so choose. The fact that the stock speakers are amplified by something other than the head unit likely means it will be enough for almost everyone, especially if high-pass filters are added to give even more clean headroom.

As far as the brand, they appear to be Alpine. If you or anyone else would be so kind as to remove the covers on the door speakers and subwoofer, and take a few pics and measurement, that'd be swell!

Thread with pertinent info here: http://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/fo...-general-discussion/10778-renegade-audio.html

· Registered
102 Posts
Hey man,

It's a digital subscription thing. I'm an indie mechanic and use Tech Authority. Without some sort of discount, it's quite expensive. You can probably call "Tech Authority" and maybe get some sort of discount or trial. To my knowledge, it will not be in print unless someone is clever enough to write a macro/program to go through and save everything :)

Regards,
A

· Registered
1,633 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I don't mind paying for a manual. I'm not sure about the subscription thing though. I'd much rather have a printed (legal) copy but I guess they are not available.

I guess what I have to do is when I do have a problem, subscribe for a short time and get the info I need.

Reactions: codev

· Premium Member
916 Posts
No kidding about it being expensive.
I just ordered a owners manual kit from them. Just $45 but after shipping taxes, fees etc it shot up to $75.

Oh well, it will keep me entertained for a while reading it, until I actually get a Rene. lol

I'll probably will order a service manual eventually once one comes out. I've always had one for each vehicle I've owned. I'm especially curious to see if there is a rear view image of the 6.5 inch UConnect in-dash display in the manual to see what connections it has.

TS

· Registered
102 Posts
No kidding about it being expensive.
I just ordered a owners manual kit from them. Just $45 but after shipping taxes, fees etc it shot up to $75.

Oh well, it will keep me entertained for a while reading it, until I actually get a Rene. lol

I'll probably will order a service manual eventually once one comes out. I've always had one for each vehicle I've owned. I'm especially curious to see if there is a rear view image of the 6.5 inch UConnect in-dash display in the manual to see what connections it has.

TS

Does this help you?

Vehicle Vehicle door Car

Text Line Font Paper product Parallel

/codev

· Premium Member
916 Posts
Whoa, I was not expecting that. lol wow
Thanks and yes it does help alot.

TS

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Codev, you da man!!! Very helpful. Things we've learned:

4spkr and 6spkr options have 30 watts per channel
Beats by Dre is the maker of the 9spkr package
6x9's in the doors (sweet)
3.5's in the dash (possibly coaxials)
1" tweets in the top of the rear doors

The main thing we still don't know is the breakdown of the wattage in the 9spkr package. I really worried that the speakers included in the 6spkr package see the same 30w per channel. I'm guessing the wattage breakdown goes like this: 30w x 6 for the original 6spkr package, and 30w x 2 for the rear door tweets. This would leave 266 watts for the 6.5" "subwoofer".

If so, then for those looking to upgrade, the 9spkr pakage doesn't look as attractive. Thirty watts just isn't enough to keep up with a decent sub at higher volumes, unless you cross them over at a really high frequency, leaving a gap in your midbass.

Thoughts?

· Registered
14 Posts
codev,

seems that you are a pro and have special sources for your information;-) - please let me ask some questions:
- do you have an idea how to remove the side panel in the trunk?
- regarding the 9 speaker system: do you think the amp has enough power for “small” sub - e.g. 10"

- I do have an active subwoofer (ETAON USB 8) – do you see a chance to connect that woofer to the system without a lot off new wiring and adapters?

thanx!

Attachments

· Registered
102 Posts
Trix,

I would love to be a pro at audio, but I'm really a powertrain guru that dabbles in other things. @Rebel is probably an audio fiend, I'm sure he'll chime in.

On the other hand, I can definitely check into removing the rear trunk paneling for you. Give me a little bit and will get back to this.

/codev

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.