Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Sport didnt come with the rails! The options were so limited and i thought no biggie! Now i keep bumping into the same issue ans when i try to find the rails, only racks come up! Obviously without rails I can't mount racks or cross bars!!! Please heeeelp! Any after market solutions????
Tx

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Yakima (and likely others) make attachments for their cross bars that do not need factory rails.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Something like the Flush Bar from Whispbar (Yakima) can fit onto a roof without rails. It will come with the type of attachment feet to mate with the car you have. You likely don't even need the factory rails.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I looked for Rocky Road and they r looking for vehicles to experiment with cause they don't know them well enough yet! If they didn't live across the country I would love that! They don't have a single product for Renegade!
I will look at those yakima bars u r mentioning! If that would work I would be beyond thrilled! Thanks :)

·
Registered
370 Posts
My Sport didnt come with the rails! The options were so limited and i thought no biggie! Now i keep bumping into the same issue ans when i try to find the rails, only racks come up! Obviously without rails I can't mount racks or cross bars!!! Please heeeelp! Any after market solutions????
Tx
I just had to have my Fiat 500L towed in to my Fiat dealership as the check engine light came on. While there I looked closely at a Renegade Sport and all other models that have roof rails. As you may know the Sport model is the only one that does not have roof rails. They're standard on all other models. If you look at all models you will see that there is a black plastic strip that runs front to rear on both sides of the roof. On the models with the roof rails the rails are put right on top of the black strips and they are then screwed down in place. I can't help but wonder if there's screw holes under those strips on your Sport model. Check it out from the rear end. Looks like they are very easy to pull up. I suggest you get a tape measure, go to a Jeep dealer and measure where all of the holes go. You will see screw covers on the tops of the rails. If you find screw holes in the same places under one of the strips then you should be able to order a pair of factory rails and some screws from your dealerships parts department. And bingo would be in great shape. Let everyone know what you find under the strips and yes post pictures.

And to answer your question, no they did not send me home in a Renegade loaner. I tried for that. They sent me home in a Fiat 500 2 door.

·
Registered
40 Posts
SPORT Model Roof rails

So the dealership finaly got the roof rails in for my car. I was just going to pick them up an put them on myself thinking that it was just going to hook into the 6 bolts that are under the plastic strips... but i got lazy and figured if they were going to put them in for free just to let them. 30 mins after they took my car into the shop they came an said that they were going to have to take my car to a body shop to have them put in!!! I asked why and they just said that they had to. So has anyone messed with the stock roof racks? Ted to take them off or anything to so why they would need to send my car to a body shop to have these put on?

·
Registered
27 Posts
So the dealership finaly got the roof rails in for my car. I was just going to pick them up an put them on myself thinking that it was just going to hook into the 6 bolts that are under the plastic strips... but i got lazy and figured if they were going to put them in for free just to let them. 30 mins after they took my car into the shop they came an said that they were going to have to take my car to a body shop to have them put in!!! I asked why and they just said that they had to. So has anyone messed with the stock roof racks? Ted to take them off or anything to so why they would need to send my car to a body shop to have these put on?
How much did you pay for them?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I wonder if they are original equipment rails or aftermarket.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I looked at the black strips that run front to rear on a base Sport model and I also looked closely on the same strip that runs under the roof rails of all other models. If you look at the top of where the roof rails sit on the roof you will see little plugs that cover up the screws that attach the roof rails to the roof. The fifty million dollar question is, are there holes for the screws to just screw into located on the roof, just under those black strips on Sport models? The only way to know for sure is to carefully remove one of those strips and see if there's pre-drilled threaded holes under those black strips. I looked at them closely from the rear of the Sport models and they look like they come up rather easily. So hey peel one off very carefully and post pictures for everyone showing what's under them, either pre-drilled holes or none there. If they are there then tell the dealer thanks for the offer and mount them yourself. I trust you have a drill to make holes in the black strips. Standing by for your pictures and for your report.

·
Registered
40 Posts
JPerez:
according to mopar.com/shop they are as follows;
Roof Rails - CAP, Rail Part Number 5VY00TZZAA Suggested Qty: 6 $6.75
Roof Rails - SCREW,SCREW Part Number: 06511611AA Suggested Qty: 8 $2.10!
Roof Rails - SIDE RAIL, Roof Rack Part Number: 5VX99LS1AA Part Info: Right Suggested Qty: 1 $420.00
Roof Rails - SIDE RAIL, Roof Rack Part Number: 5VY03LS1AA Part Info: Left Suggested Qty: 1 $420.00
which in parts should equal out to 897.30$ in parts. but i had all this added to the price of my car so i have no idea what it would be after the fact with installation. ( im already trying to take the dealership o court for charging me to much for the car)

bwbike:
all this equipment is from mopar so im assuming it is all original equipment. i don't know of any aftermarket roof rails out there right now.

Hmmm!!!:
i have taken off the plastic strips a few weeks ago. which is why i thought this was going to be a fairly easy process. ill take them off again tomorrow and take a picture. but that does get me thinking they may have to reuse those plastic strips that are already on the car and they have to be cut to fit where the roof rails would have to go? and they classify that as bodywork and don't have the tools to do that in the car shop? i don't know im going to go back up there and ask a few more questions tomorrow

·
Registered
370 Posts
Look closer for somewhat good news. Those black strips run under the roof rails. They sit on top of the black strips. I think you just have to drill holes through to strips and then screw the screws into the screw holes, that is IF they are already under those strips. Unfortunately IF can sometimes be a big word.

I saw a Sport model this past weekend on a dealers lot that had the manual My Sky panels. And that one also had the roof rails. So I'd be almost willing to bet money that there's threaded holes under the strips for the roof rails to be secured to. Let everyone know.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i know it was extremely expensive all and all with everything for the entire roof rack system it came out to a bit over 1100$ but i had doubts that someone was going to make aftermarket roof rails before snowboarding season starts and i ride a 162 board that barley fits in the car so as long as i could finance it with the rest of the car i bit the bullet on that one.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.