Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,685 Posts
I'm getting a stale smell from the A/C when I first turn on my Renegade. It happens when I first turn on the vehicle then it goes away. Anyone else having this problem?
Not having that problem, but those symptoms usually mean one of two things.

1) The AC drain hose/hole/whatever is in place on said vehicle is clogged and not draining.

2) Condensation is building up someplace in the duct work other than the lowest point where it is supposed to drain for some reason.

Oh yeah, I forgot the third possibility, which is something got into your ductwork and died, and you only really notice the stink until the AC moves enough air past the corpse turning to jerky in your ducting to make the smell fade for the moment.

It is almost always #1 though.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
This is the first I've heard of a stale A/C smell with a Renegade. I would recommend bringing your vehicle to an FCA dealership for a formal diagnosis. If you would like assistance in scheduling an appointment, please feel free to reach out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a similar issue with my '14 Grand Cherokee when it was new; just at start up. It went away after about 3000 miles. Must have been a solvent or a glue used in manufacturing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.