Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So out of the dozen or so times we've started up the Renegade since taking delivery on Tuesday, twice it has struggled to start. Foot on the brake, hit the start/stop button and it cranks/turns over for about 5 seconds before it starts. Anyone else experiencing this?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing yet. Have just over 600 miles on it, and it starts fine. Do you have the turbo or the 9 speed? Maybe post that to narrow your results? Good luck, hope it's nothing.
I have the 2.4 w/9 speed. It happened the first time to my fiancé, and she thought that her foot wasn't on the brake hard enough. It happened to me last night and my foot was certainly on the brake enough.

·
Registered
499 Posts
If it happens consistently, see if it changes if you turn the ignition on (don't start it though) for a few seconds for the fuel pump to prime. Then proceed to start.

Your fuel system may not be getting enough gas to combust immediately if so.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cold start or warm start? Ambient temp?
First time was a warm start, second time was a cold start. Ambient temp is around 85 F.

If it happens consistently, see if it changes if you turn the ignition on (don't start it though) for a few seconds for the fuel pump to prime. Then proceed to start.

Your fuel system may not be getting enough gas to combust immediately if so.
Will definitely try this the next few times I start it to see if it helps resolve.

Spoke to someone in service today and they suggested that the brake wasn't depressed enough -- maybe with my fiancé's case, but certainly not when it happened to me.

·
Registered
499 Posts
If the brake wasn't pressed enough, the starter wouldn't have even cranked. The fact that it cranks indicates that the brake was in.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
If the brake wasn't pressed enough, the starter wouldn't have even cranked. The fact that it cranks indicates that the brake was in.
.......^^^^^^^^^^^^
............This

It's not the brake pedal not being pressed enough.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
.......^^^^^^^^^^^^
............This

It's not the brake pedal not being pressed enough.
Didn't think so. I'll continue to try priming the pump before full ignition and will video doc ever start in the event it does it again so the dealer doesn't pull that "we can't recreate it stunt".

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just to update everyone, I have not experienced the hesitation again, and we ran errands in the Renegade all day yesterday in the 93 degree heat. I am priming the fuel pump before starting so I'm not sure if that was the solution, or just coincidental. I'll update again if anything changes.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Just to update everyone, I have not experienced the hesitation again, and we ran errands in the Renegade all day yesterday in the 93 degree heat. I am priming the fuel pump before starting so I'm not sure if that was the solution, or just coincidental. I'll update again if anything changes.
Sounds good - give it a few days without priming the fuel pump and see if it starts hesitating again. If so, I'd bring it in to the dealer to have them check the fuel system out. But don't do it until you can absolutely recreate the issue. If you can't, it's likely they won't be able to either and they'll just say it's working fine.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I noticed a few Renegades on the lot had difficulty getting going. They'd spin over, hit a few times, spin some more and finally light off. I just attributed it to them sitting for a while. I'll be keeping an eye on this.
Figured I'd respond again now that it's been a few months. To this date, I have not experienced the issue again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.