Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a set of 18" 5x110 40mm black, boring, steel, hubs. I want them for winter driving.

I can get 17" for $65 at discount tire.
I can get 18" for $245 at a Jeep dealer.

Did I do something wrong while pricing cuz ****, $180 for an inch difference?

I'm looking to pay $240 to $300 for 5 hubs. I do not want pretty, I want plain, boring, black, steel for winter driving.

Anyone know anything about this?

·
Registered
753 Posts
You might be better off with a 16" or 17" setup for a winter configuration.

http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=126

It'll certainly be a lot more cost-friendly.

My Renny-Lat came with the 17" wheels, running 215/60/R17 Continentals (basically a sport-car tire, IMHO).

For winter I'll likely go with 16" wheels running 215/65/R16. If I were to buy them right now, Tirerack.com has tires for about $90 a piece, and plain black steel wheels for about $85 a piece. Apparently if I wait until Sept. they'll have another plain black steel wheel for $60 a piece. So I'm going to wait a bit.

I'll also probably end up replacing the 215/60/R17 Continentals with 215/65/R17s. Not sure what brand yet. More meaty tread-setup, that's for sure. But that'll give me roughly another 1/2-inch of sidewall height, increasing the diameter by a mere +0.85 inches. I'm thinking that setup should fit no-problem. I've got plenty of open space under Lil'Red's fenders, :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I'm concerned about clearing the break calipers. Are the breaks the same on the TrailHawk and Latitude? If I get 17" could I then get a snow tire with a "meatier" tread (extra tread depth) because there's extra room? That question make sense?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Hrm.. You might be onto something there. I failed to realize you owned a Trailhawk until I checked your public-profile page.

The Trailhawk ships with 17's and a full-sized spare. So either it ships with a full-sized spare because of it's Trail-Rated status, or it ships with a full-sized spare because it runs beefier brake hardware.

I will bow to others who own a Trailhawk for that argument, :)

However, sticking with a set of 17-inch wheels+tires for winter should still be cheaper than moving up to an 18-inch setup.

And you should be able to bump up the sidewall no problem. The Trailhawks have an extra 0.8" of lift I think.

Here's a tire-sizing calculator I found, which I've found extremely useful: https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.