Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
I dunno but an ITG 7x16" alloy wheel weighs 4.5 kg, but some alloy wheels in that size can weigh as much as 12-14 kg. Some steel rims are lighter than some cheap alloys. Or they can be here in the UK.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd have thought they were a lot heaver as well but looking around online they appear to be about 25 pounds(a bit over 11kg for our metric friends) for the steel and about 23 for the alloy. Just wondering if anyone had the actual numbers.....

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Without stating the obvious, take two Renegade wheels, one steel and one alloy both identical sizes and weigh them. I will have a look at the Renegade tech in the press releases and see if there is any info in there that might help, although I doubt it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah I'd have to get an alloy :>) to do that! lol
I've been thinking about getting an extra set for for larger tires for a little bit of off roading and was just wondering about offsetting the extra weight of the larger tire with an alloy rim but if its only a few pounds difference......
BTW I'm just going by what places have as the shipping weght for them.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Where are you? I ask as in the UK we have a 16" alloy wheel on the fwd Sport model. The alloy is 17" on the Longitude and Trailhawk models, different designs. In the USA the 16" steel wheel is standard on the Sport. The Latitude has the same pattern as the Longitude but it is 16", not 17" same as the UK. So providing the 16" steel and 16" alloy are the same width the two are comparable for weight.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
The two wheels that you need for direct comparison are the 16x6.5 black steel wheel and the 16x6.5 alloy wheel from the Latitude US model. The other Renegade alloys available are 17x7.0 18x7.0 and all these figures are from April 16 2014 press info.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
East Oklahoma,
I have the steel 16 6.5 and was looking at getting some used OEM alloy that are 16 6.5 and maybe something like a 225 75 16 tire. Something to give me a bit more clearance. But if there's not a real weight difference I'd stick with getting another steel set and save a bit of cash.

·
Registered
607 Posts
East Oklahoma,
I have the steel 16 6.5 and was looking at getting some used OEM alloy that are 16 6.5 and maybe something like a 225 75 16 tire. Something to give me a bit more clearance. But if there's not a real weight difference I'd stick with getting another steel set and save a bit of cash.

225/75/16 will rub the liner at full lock, go with 225/70/16.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As you are in the US, it is 16" rims all round. Literally!

As stock steel wheels go, I actually like the Renegade ones.
yes I'm in the midwest.
There are some car part recyclers around here and one has gotten in a few totaled Latitudes that have the oem alloys in 16" and 17". I think I like the looks of the 16s better as well.

·
Registered
607 Posts
yes I'm in the midwest.
There are some car part recyclers around here and one has gotten in a few totaled Latitudes that have the oem alloys in 16" and 17". I think I like the looks of the 16s better as well.
I wish there was some totaled latitudes around here that I could get the 16" alloy wheels off of, I want a spare set!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.