Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had the vehicle at the dealership last night to have them replace the door panel and center the steering wheel. They replaced the door panel and attempted to center the steering wheel. That is when they realized two things. One, they discovered not only is the steering wheel off center, but the front end is out of alignment. Two, they need a special tool to do the job. Now I sit and wait while they try to get the special tool the Renegade needs to be alligned. The service manager said the alignment was not to far off, but he will "monitor" the tires for wear from last nights visit to the next visit for the actual alignment and then make a determination of what to to with the tires. If the alignment isn't that far off why put the concern of the tires in our minds? Slowly I am becoming very frustrated with this dealership. They don't notice the steering wheel was off during prep after at least 4 different employees drove it before before us purchasing it. Then they don't have the tools to work on it and have no idea when the tool might come in. I can't wait to see how the rear end growl issue plays out...

·
Super Moderator
4,682 Posts
That is BS what special tool? I just had ours at Tires plus to have the tires rotated and balanced and the alignment checked. There is no special tool. Ask them what the tool is.

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
Perhaps the tool is to permit them to adjust the electric power steering to get the steering wheel offset right? Dunno. Unless they are talking chassis alignment, then they might need the bits that let you attach the chassis to the machine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They were able to check the alignment enough to tell me that the actual alignment was off and it wasn't just the steering wheel off centered, so I am guessing it has something to do with the electric steering. That is only a guess though.

·
Registered
302 Posts
You are correct that somebody should have noticed - especially the way steering wheels are now loaded with buttons and switches. They have a responsibility to make it right.

Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
The electric power steering is just a motor under the dash that connects to the steering shaft. It has no affect on alignment.
It does seem to have some sort of self centering thing though. Try starting the engine with the steering on full lock. It will tear the wheel out of your hand if you are holding it loosely.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just got off the phone with the service manager and he said the special tool is at the dealership and it is for resetting the sensors on the steering sensors. Now he is waiting on the specs for the alignment machine so he can enter them for the Renegade. Now wait a minute! The other night they told us that the vehicle is out of alignment spec, but how can they tell that if the are waiting on the alignment specs?! I may have been born at night, but it wasn't last nigh. Someone is blowing smoke where the sun doesn't shine and I think it is time to start looking for a new dealership.

Reactions: syzygy

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got tired of the run around and contacted a different dealer down here on the Coast and they said bring it right in, so it is going in tomorrow night for the alignment. they said they have done a couple Renegades already that have been in accidents, so they have what they need to do the job. I will ask them the questions you have had about the system and post them up here. I'd like to know about this new to me steering system as well.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Long story short, I went to a different dealer last night because they said they could get me right away and do the alignment and I didn't feel like I was getting the run around like at the purchasing dealership. That all changed once they got the car in the bay. No alignment and no answers to the questions I had. The technician was rude to the point that one of the other employees went and got the GM of the dealership. He was cool about everything, but I won't be driving 30 minutes one way to go through that again. Supposedly it will get aligned next week at the purchasing dealership and I will try to get the questions answered. :rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.