Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently noticed that the leather has been flaking off my 2016 Renegade Trailhawk (see picture below)

This flaking is at the 12 o clock mark on my steering wheel. I never have my hands there.

I showed this to my dealer and they said this would not be covered under my Max Care Lifetime warranty.

I have not called Max Care directly yet about this issue, I will tomorrow.
Wouldn't this be covered because it states in my warranty (see website below bottom link is a simplified version of the top) that the Steering Wheel is covered.
The only thing related to steering wheel that would maybe make it not covered is the: (Body and paint items, including soft trim), which is listed in items that are not covered.

In second image it shows you where it says Steering Wheel is covered.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,595 Posts
They did not cover it on my wrangler. I just put a cover over it.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I'm not being sarcastic, so please don't take it that way, but it seems you have a lot of leather issues in your Jeep. Could it be related to your choice of leather conditioner/cleanser and the frequency of application ? In all my other vehicles with leather (my Latitude has fabric seats), I only cleaned the leather once maybe twice a year and have never had issues with cracking, splitting, pulling, bubbling, etc.. Just curious.

·
Registered
417 Posts
That's a tough call. In my experience, a lot of the extended warranties cover mechanical items, or the function of an item, but not appearance. That might be considered wear. When it lists the steering wheel, that may be referring to it's functionality, like the switches for cruise control, radio, etc. I hope they do take care of it for you.

·
Super Moderator
3,382 Posts
Your warranty doesn't cover paint damage, body damage, or soft trim, but it does cover the steering wheel. That means that should the wheel lose structural integrity, they will cover repair. If the soft trim on it fails, they don't.

The flaking won't be covered.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not being sarcastic, so please don't take it that way, but it seems you have a lot of leather issues in your Jeep. Could it be related to your choice of leather conditioner/cleanser and the frequency of application ? In all my other vehicles with leather (my Latitude has fabric seats), I only cleaned the leather once maybe twice a year and have never had issues with cracking, splitting, pulling, bubbling, etc.. Just curious.
Ive only ever used leather cleaner specifically Meguires Gold Class on my steering wheel and seats on rare occasions and have had great results.

The dealer said the bubbling of the doors and the flaking of the steering wheel is from the heat and humidity since we live in Florida. I guess...

Oh well. I have a leather repair kit ill see if that helps.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Same happened to me, I bought a jeep cover from Walmart. It's a bear to put on, real tight. I love it

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts