Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new 2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk about a month ago and I love it. However, as it started to get colder here in NH, I noticed a slight squeal in the steering wheel area when I first got in the car and turned the wheel. Last night was the coldest night yet and the squeal this morning was VERY loud, almost to the point of hurting the ears. Once the car moves, the squeal disappears. I've owned four other Jeeps and never had this problem. Any ideas? We're taking it to the dealer on Monday.

Thanks.

·
Registered
182 Posts
On a couple of occasions I have had a squeak from my steering wheel. The only time I have heard it is when I was stopped and I could move the wheel slightly or a lot and it would squeak until I stop turning the steering wheel. My squeak isn't very loud but loud enough for my passenger to hear it. I'm not concerned about it, yet.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I bought a new 2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk about a month ago and I love it. However, as it started to get colder here in NH, I noticed a slight squeal in the steering wheel area when I first got in the car and turned the wheel. Last night was the coldest night yet and the squeal this morning was VERY loud, almost to the point of hurting the ears. Once the car moves, the squeal disappears. I've owned four other Jeeps and never had this problem. Any ideas? We're taking it to the dealer on Monday.

Thanks.
"A squeal in the steering wheel area"? You mean you hear a noise emanating from somewhere along the steering column on the inside of the vehicle?

Most steering noises emanate from the rack and pinion and indicate some problem. With conventional hydraulic P/S systems you get in older cars "morning sickness," which are squalling noises from worn seals on sliding parts of the steering rack, and groaning noises come usually from low power steering fluid levels. Since the Renegade has electric P/S, the above does not apply here.

There are two kinds of electric P/S systems: Column-mounted and rack- mounted. I suppose some past may not be properly lubricated and here you hear a squeal.With a cow,m-mounted system you may here noises in the cabin. That is however not not normal. Does anybody know if the Renegade has column- or rack-mounted P/S?

With the engine running, have someone turn the steering wheel and stand next to the front of the car and listen to confirm whether the noise is audible on the inside of the cabin only, or if it is also audible from the outside.

Either way, take the car to the dealer. Abnormal noises are just that: abnormal and need to be eliminated before increased wear or component failure occurs.

·
Registered
580 Posts
On a couple of occasions I have had a squeak from my steering wheel. The only time I have heard it is when I was stopped and I could move the wheel slightly or a lot and it would squeak until I stop turning the steering wheel. My squeak isn't very loud but loud enough for my passenger to hear it. I'm not concerned about it, yet.
A squeal or squeak indicates abnormal friction and is definitely not normal. Excessive wear will occur. On components like steering column bearings a dampening type grease is usually used. This kind of grease makes for quiet and silky smooth sliding action with some resistance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.