Jeep Renegade Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Have had my Rene since new 2016. I avoided driving it in snow because it would slide when going down a steep hill or coming to a stop in the snow. I actually used my cobolt to go back and forth to work, no issues. So now I have bought different tires and they are the same I had on another vehicle. I thought this would fix the issue. well it still wants to lock up and slide even at a low speed when going down the hill on just a small amount of snow. Just had it inspected, everything is good. Brakes and rotors were replaced about 6 months ago because they would not retract the whole way when released and had worn the rotors ( 2nd time). They also had a huge build up of rust. I am debating to trade it in but no I do like the vehicle in all other circumstances. Any suggestions, we live at the bottom of the hill.
I must tell you I am shocked as my 2017 renegade is the best vehicle we have had in the snow. Had other 4 wheel drives, jeep Cherokee, Blazer and several othe front wheel- 4 wheel drive. I would put renegade against ‘em all. Fantastic in snow.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I was just reading this thread after experiencing record snowfall in TN a few days ago. I had taken my 2020 TH to snow several times in CA and was amazed at how well it handled. I was warned about the ice here in TN being the real danger but I have to say Renaldo did not disappoint. As the snow started to accumulate heavily I was the first to blaze the trail on my neighborhood road. In snow mode it handled great. After a night of single digit temps the road was solid ice, I set it in snow mode and it was like driving on dry black top no slippage at all. I do use care in braking and moderate speed in these conditions. I would agree with those who mention GOOD braking. When it comes to tires the stock Falcons preformed far better than I expected but after going up a size and switching to BFG KO2s I choose my Renegade TH over any other vehicle.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I was just reading this thread after experiencing record snowfall in TN a few days ago. I had taken my 2020 TH to snow several times in CA and was amazed at how well it handled. I was warned about the ice here in TN being the real danger but I have to say Renaldo did not disappoint. As the snow started to accumulate heavily I was the first to blaze the trail on my neighborhood road. In snow mode it handled great. After a night of single digit temps the road was solid ice, I set it in snow mode and it was like driving on dry black top no slippage at all. I do use care in braking and moderate speed in these conditions. I would agree with those who mention GOOD braking. When it comes to tires the stock Falcons preformed far better than I expected but after going up a size and switching to BFG KO2s I choose my Renegade TH over any other vehicle.
I think the OP has a unique circumstance where their home is located at the bottom of a hill. The incline with icy conditions is going to be a real trick to slow down and make the turn into the drive regardless of vehicle. The only real way to address this would be to get legit winter tires. Standard All-Season, even with winter ratings, are not going to perform the same as a true winter tire. Ice doesn't care if you're in 4wd when you're trying to brake going downhill....

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
They are probably referring to the fact that ABS has longer stopping distances in the snow vs. proper braking.
Yup. I know we're preaching to each others' choirs... By definition, ABS very quickly applies and releases the brakes when the system senses skidding (that is, the wheel rotation locking up). The purpose isn't necessarily to decelerate the vehicle more (though in many cases it does that, compared to full lock-up on a slick surface). The main reason is to keep the vehicle going in the direction it's being steered, which is impossible when all wheels just lock up.

It's very concerning, though, to feel the ABS pulsing, and that the car isn't stopping as fast as you'd expect on dry pavement. The trick is to steer around hazards, which it definitely allows you to do.

I generally hate to have ABS engage, and try to threshold-brake and modulate (i.e., "proper braking") whenever possible.

But that's not always possible. Last time ABS saved me was a few years ago with a rental car on an icy street in Breckenridge, Colorado. I glanced away for a second looking for street signs, and didn't see the SUV in front of me suddenly stop. I slammed on the brakes, and the ABS kicked in. Pulsing the way it was, it wasn't going to stop me going straight before I rear-ended the SUV. Fortunately I was able to steer to the left and just miss him. And fortunately there was no one coming the other way...

·
Registered
353 Posts
Do you have hill descent? I am wondering how it would handle in that situation? I have only used it once in off road steep dirt mixed with rock. Just curious if any one has tried it in snow or ice?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Do you have hill descent? I am wondering how it would handle in that situation?
Doubt that would work well; since you have to have the Renegade in 4WD Low and you'd be just crawling down the hill.

It's meant for offroad trails, to relieve you from staying on the brakes all the time. It wouldn't do anything to help with downhill traction on an icy road...

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
Here's the problem with pretty much all tire reviews: They test new tires.

For example you will see me having posted reviews of the prielli scoprion ATP tires and saying they are very quiet. Which they are when new, and for about half of their lifespan..

I fail to see the connection to a tyre in the snow that is not gripping

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
On a similar note.

I went down a small hill in the snow after a white (workmans van) pulled out in front of me.

ABS pulsed all the way down a gentle gradient. No way was the car stopping on a hill with increasing speed.
I hit a single decker bus whilst trying to steer around it.

Literally 8 inches (200mm) was the difference between slowing on level ground before a main road, traffic light controlled and hitting the bus.

Try as I may, I hit that bus.

That, people was in a normal car and not a Jeep.

We in the UK have had some snow. Throughout that period I have taken the Jeep for a spin, naturally to charge its battery. No issues whatsoever with tyres. I was one of the few vehicles traversing the road safely.

Yokohama Geolander SUV tyres as they call them in the UK.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts