Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is the stock uconnect sound system? Looking at getting a TH and want to know if I should pay up for premium sound systme or is stock good enough. I am not an audio-file but like to jam music from time to time.

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
my wife and I have also been looking at purchasing a trailhawk and specifically looked at the beats vs non beats. To us the stock system sounded sounded great and the beats premium audio really didn't seem to add that much in comparison for the extra $700 price tag.

·
Super Moderator
3,685 Posts
I got the premium audio when it was $495 list. At $700? I don't know. If you can bring your music with you, listen to both. Stock, it is lacking pretty badly IMO, but replace some of the speakers and it is worthwhile. As I've said in other threads, power aside, I think the amp is well matched to the head unit, gets pretty loud, and doesn't distort or clip in anything I've tried at max volume. However, at the very least the in dash 3.5" speakers have to go. They are painfully bad. The are very, VERY peaky at a certain range, and in my opinion (and a couple others) actually get painful to expose yourself to if you really crank things up.

So it's $700 for something you have to replace bits of and which is picky about what components work with it due to the impedances on everything but the dash speakers and sub. The sub however is in the land of rare sizes to begin with. You can make it much better for a couple hundred in parts and some labor.

However, to improve the stock system, you need amps, subs, new speakers, maybe a clean sweep type of device, and figure out how to graft that into the vehicle without screwing up the electric as a whole. Much more work.

At <$500, it was a no brainer as it got me a properly integrated amp I know I can work with, and I'd just be messing with speakers if possible. At $700, if you add on to that the cost of speakers and such, it's getting close to the costs to graft on an amplified system where you don't replace the head unit.

IMO, I wouldn't bother with replacing the head unit at this time due to the level of integration.

·
Registered
715 Posts
At <$500, it was a no brainer as it got me a properly integrated amp I know I can work with, and I'd just be messing with speakers if possible. At $700, if you add on to that the cost of speakers and such, it's getting close to the costs to graft on an amplified system where you don't replace the head
This is the exact reason I did the 9 speaker. Changing the 3.5s was about as easy as a battery replacement, just the clips on the speakers were a stubborn pair. So much better on the ears. So much. Almost the cheapest upgrade on my TH!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have the Beats Audio and here are my constructive thoughts, not gonna sugar coat it LOL :eek:

At first I was REALLY DISAPPOINTED, it wasn't enough bass. My favorite XM channels are 80s, chill, BPM, Rap, and comedy. I find the Beats system strangely tuned. It favors modern bass music like electronic and hip hop. 80s and comedy however... sound flat and hollow to me. Don't get me wrong this is an improvement to the stock 5.0 radio. I think the stock sound is really 'tinny'. If you listen to news or talk then the 5.0 is fine.

Now back to Beats audio... don't take my word for it. Take your favorite music and play it before you buy it. Really set the EQ to your preference.

About the volume... the rear speakers and sub woofer is really low volume. I swear I can barely hear it when fader is pushed back. Yes I open the hatch and stuck my ear next to the subwoofer grille to make sure it's working, it's barely audible.

BTW fun fact. I also have the tonneau cover and with rear seats upright, the subwoofer and cargo area is closed in. SO you'd think the sound is loss but I tried folding the seats down and there is only a slight difference LOL. Now I drive with rear seats upright but I put the arm rest down to let some 'sound' thru. THe tonneau cover stays LOL

Anyways it's been two weeks and I am warming up to the Beats Audio system. :x It's sounding better now, I am slowly setting the treble and mids to get it right. The sound is clear and fidelity is high I just wish it was more bass and surround sound feeling. Maybe it's the acoustics of the interior... who knows? But my Challenger has the 6 speaker Alpine and it sounds GOOD and deep.

I am seriously considering going to a dealer and testing other Beats systems to make sure mine is working properly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the Beats Audio and here are my constructive thoughts, not gonna sugar coat it LOL :eek:

At first I was REALLY DISAPPOINTED, it wasn't enough bass. My favorite XM channels are 80s, chill, BPM, Rap, and comedy. I find the Beats system strangely tuned. It favors modern bass music like electronic and hip hop. 80s and comedy however... sound flat and hollow to me. Don't get me wrong this is an improvement to the stock 5.0 radio. I think the stock sound is really 'tinny'. If you listen to news or talk then the 5.0 is fine.

Now back to Beats audio... don't take my word for it. Take your favorite music and play it before you buy it. Really set the EQ to your preference.

About the volume... the rear speakers and sub woofer is really low volume. I swear I can barely hear it when fader is pushed back. Yes I open the hatch and stuck my ear next to the subwoofer grille to make sure it's working, it's barely audible.

BTW fun fact. I also have the tonneau cover and with rear seats upright, the subwoofer and cargo area is closed in. SO you'd think the sound is loss but I tried folding the seats down and there is only a slight difference LOL. Now I drive with rear seats upright but I put the arm rest down to let some 'sound' thru. THe tonneau cover stays LOL

Anyways it's been two weeks and I am warming up to the Beats Audio system. :x It's sounding better now, I am slowly setting the treble and mids to get it right. The sound is clear and fidelity is high I just wish it was more bass and surround sound feeling. Maybe it's the acoustics of the interior... who knows? But my Challenger has the 6 speaker Alpine and it sounds GOOD and deep.

I am seriously considering going to a dealer and testing other Beats systems to make sure mine is working properly.
Mead funny you should mention the surrounding sound feeling. The first time my wife and I sat in a vehicle with the beats audio, all we could hear it seemed was the dash speaker leaving both of us like wtf....we thought there had to be something wrong so we tried another vehicle with the beats audio and noticed the same thing until we saw there is an option on the unconnect 6.5 screen to make it surround sound which made it much more enjoyable to listen to. It was interesting to see that one of the vehicles with the 6.5 unconnect had this surround sound feature while the other did not. I am not sure if this was part of a downloaded upgrade for the unconnect system or what.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Mead funny you should mention the surrounding sound feeling. The first time my wife and I sat in a vehicle with the beats audio, all we could hear it seemed was the dash speaker leaving both of us like wtf....we thought there had to be something wrong so we tried another vehicle with the beats audio and noticed the same thing until we saw there is an option on the unconnect 6.5 screen to make it surround sound which made it much more enjoyable to listen to. It was interesting to see that one of the vehicles with the 6.5 unconnect had this surround sound feature while the other did not. I am not sure if this was part of a downloaded upgrade for the unconnect system or what.
I don't have the 'Surround Sound' setting in my 6.5 Uconnect :eek: Do ou know where I can check if my Uconnect is the latest version? I'll snoop around some more.

EDIT...
I checked uconnect website https://www.driveuconnect.com/software-update/ and it said I have no updates for..."There are no updates available at this time for your 2016 equipped with the Uconnect 8.4AN AM/FM/BT/Access/NAV system."

Uconnect 8.4AN ???? LOL

·
Registered
715 Posts
The surround sound setting computerizes it, sounds kinda cool, but I prefer the normal settings with my own EQ settings :D oh and I tired 35 on the volume and MAN its loud. At 28 on the level, my phone app that measures dB levels, it was up to 91! Not so bad for factory speakers, and Kickers in the dash.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The surround sound setting computerizes it, sounds kinda cool, but I prefer the normal settings with my own EQ settings :D oh and I tired 35 on the volume and MAN its loud. At 28 on the level, my phone app that measures dB levels, it was up to 91! Not so bad for factory speakers, and Kickers in the dash.
Hi, sorry I am misunderstanding your sentence...

1.) Are you saying you have the 'Surround Sound' button in your Uconnect 6.5?

2.) And that even tho you have the SS button... it's function is to automatically adjust the the treble, mid and bass settings... within the EQ parameters?

3.) Surround Sound does not add any power or secret sauce to the system, only a factory preset?

If so, can you tell me what the treb, mid and bass settings are in 'Surround Sound' mode? :) I want to try it.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Hmm. I never thought to look at the EQ when I put surround on. It's an option while in audio settings, arrow down. It literally puts the sound to the middle. Like you're sitting 'in' the music. Feels like when I'm on the couch in my stupid home theater in my small condo ?

It doesn't have any more or less bass, and the highs definitely sound identical to normal setting. I'll look tomorrow and see if actual settings change on treb/mid/bass

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
my wife and I have also been looking at purchasing a trailhawk and specifically looked at the beats vs non beats. To us the stock system sounded sounded great and the beats premium audio really didn't seem to add that much in comparison for the extra $700 price tag.
Anyone else have any thoughts?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.