Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 Jeep Renegade that I took delivery of a year ago today. It has 16,800 miles on it, and I had studded snow tires on it for 5 1/2 months. So it has about 9,000 miles on the stock tires in my estimation, as we drive about the same amount all year round. It came with the Continental Cross Contact Sport LX tires in 215/65R16 size.

So today I had the winter tires put back on, and the tire guy comes out and asks me if they should throw the old tires away! I hadn't looked that closely at them as they don't have a lot of tread depth to begin with, and also why check them when they only have 9K on them? I brought the tires home with me and wondering if warranty will cover part of the replacement costs. Does anyone know or have you had experience with this?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Actually I have had my Jeep for 13 months rather than 12 months as I picked it up 9/14 not 10/14, but still the tires must have at max 9-10K on them

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hmmm. In my experience, Continentals are great tires and I've had some last up to 40,000 miles on a sedan. I'm sorry yours wore down so quickly.
I'm afraid I'll be facing the same issue with mine. My stock tires are Kumhos. And they're truly terrible. Found some pretty sweet Yokohama A/T that will actually fit my odd 225/55/r18 tire size. Just waiting for these **** Kumhos to bite the dust first.

·
Registered
715 Posts
9k on ANY tire is not good. Unless you're driving a Viper ACR or something with similar torque #s . And at that point, only the drive axles tires would be shot.

If you're showing metal on your tires, alignment is a big issue, or you're running under inflated too long.

The worst continentals I've seen are called 4x4 contact, typically see about 25-35k.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Just registered 26,000 miles today on our Continentals, 215/60/17. They show some wear but I hope to get to 40k with them. This is my third vehicle with Continentals and although I've always managed around 40k with all of them they usually get very noisy around 25k. These are the quietest I have had but I am not really impressed with Continental's. I would not go out and buy them. Cooper and Michelin have been the best for me but I am planning on going with Yokohama's when the time to replace arrives. 9K really seems low. Have you had your alignment checked? My dealer says the Renegade is the worst of the Jeep models as far as alignment goes. Mine needed alignment around 17k miles. You might want to have the alignment checked when you get new tires if you haven't already done so.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll have to get the alignment checked, but I have had it in for service several times for routine maintenance and also to switch tires 3 times so far. The winter tires look normal for the amount of wear - they are the Cooper Weather Master ST2's with studs. I've never had tires go so fast as this set of Continentals. I'm going to go with the Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10 Off-Road Tire - 225/70R16 when winter is over. I have these Hankooks on my Toyota FJ Cruiser and am really happy with them.

·
Registered
715 Posts
My 2015 TH has original Goodyeay Wrangler AT S tires with 20.4K on them. They show some wear but look like they will deliver 40K.
You sure you got ATS Goodyears?? Sra GY was the stock tire typically. ATS is a much more durable tire than the SRA. Also more capable. The SRAs are rated for 50k. ATS are not rated.

·
Registered
715 Posts
im with you on this opus , i want mine to wear , this way i can get nice new smelly tires, and dont have to explain to the wife why hahahaha
My girl barely noticed when I put my Yokohama ATS on at 2700 miles. Really didn't notice the KO2s at 13k LOL. Even with all the new road noise. But she'll notice as soon as I get a new Xbox game ?

·
Registered
604 Posts
I replaced two of my Continentals with Dunlops at about 25k. I know the alignment isn't quite right but so far the dealer has been unable to align it because their machine hasn't been updated for the Renegade. I'll have to check back with them, and check some other places, too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I took off the stock tires(Conti CrossContact LX Sport) at ~11000 miles, and they were pretty well done. Technically, they aren't done yet(between 5 &7 32nds tread left), but for that few miles driven, I'm disappointed. Hopefully, my new Nokian Rotiivas will hold up better.

Karl

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just got my BF Goodrich 225/70/16's on my 1.4 Lat with stock rims and they look awesome! It was time to get them because when I went to get my car inspection done, the guy told me the tires were too bald to pass. 17,000 miles and they were almost bald! I will say that while the new tires fit perfect with no rubbing, the car feels a bit more sluggish. In addition, today in the rain, the new BFG's slid a little on a corner when the Continentals never did. Maybe it is because they are so new. Those Continentals really don't last and certainly have no traction at all off road.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.