Jeep Renegade Forum banner

Stock Tires worn out with only 9,000 miles on them

16K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  Doublex 
#1 ·
I have a 2015 Jeep Renegade that I took delivery of a year ago today. It has 16,800 miles on it, and I had studded snow tires on it for 5 1/2 months. So it has about 9,000 miles on the stock tires in my estimation, as we drive about the same amount all year round. It came with the Continental Cross Contact Sport LX tires in 215/65R16 size.

So today I had the winter tires put back on, and the tire guy comes out and asks me if they should throw the old tires away! I hadn't looked that closely at them as they don't have a lot of tread depth to begin with, and also why check them when they only have 9K on them? I brought the tires home with me and wondering if warranty will cover part of the replacement costs. Does anyone know or have you had experience with this?

#3 ·
Hmmm. In my experience, Continentals are great tires and I've had some last up to 40,000 miles on a sedan. I'm sorry yours wore down so quickly.
I'm afraid I'll be facing the same issue with mine. My stock tires are Kumhos. And they're truly terrible. Found some pretty sweet Yokohama A/T that will actually fit my odd 225/55/r18 tire size. Just waiting for these **** Kumhos to bite the dust first.

#7 ·
9k on ANY tire is not good. Unless you're driving a Viper ACR or something with similar torque #s . And at that point, only the drive axles tires would be shot.

If you're showing metal on your tires, alignment is a big issue, or you're running under inflated too long.

The worst continentals I've seen are called 4x4 contact, typically see about 25-35k.

#8 ·
Just registered 26,000 miles today on our Continentals, 215/60/17. They show some wear but I hope to get to 40k with them. This is my third vehicle with Continentals and although I've always managed around 40k with all of them they usually get very noisy around 25k. These are the quietest I have had but I am not really impressed with Continental's. I would not go out and buy them. Cooper and Michelin have been the best for me but I am planning on going with Yokohama's when the time to replace arrives. 9K really seems low. Have you had your alignment checked? My dealer says the Renegade is the worst of the Jeep models as far as alignment goes. Mine needed alignment around 17k miles. You might want to have the alignment checked when you get new tires if you haven't already done so.

#10 ·
I'll have to get the alignment checked, but I have had it in for service several times for routine maintenance and also to switch tires 3 times so far. The winter tires look normal for the amount of wear - they are the Cooper Weather Master ST2's with studs. I've never had tires go so fast as this set of Continentals. I'm going to go with the Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10 Off-Road Tire - 225/70R16 when winter is over. I have these Hankooks on my Toyota FJ Cruiser and am really happy with them.

#19 ·
I took off the stock tires(Conti CrossContact LX Sport) at ~11000 miles, and they were pretty well done. Technically, they aren't done yet(between 5 &7 32nds tread left), but for that few miles driven, I'm disappointed. Hopefully, my new Nokian Rotiivas will hold up better.

Karl

#20 ·
I just got my BF Goodrich 225/70/16's on my 1.4 Lat with stock rims and they look awesome! It was time to get them because when I went to get my car inspection done, the guy told me the tires were too bald to pass. 17,000 miles and they were almost bald! I will say that while the new tires fit perfect with no rubbing, the car feels a bit more sluggish. In addition, today in the rain, the new BFG's slid a little on a corner when the Continentals never did. Maybe it is because they are so new. Those Continentals really don't last and certainly have no traction at all off road.

#21 ·
So, just to be clear... this conversation is because a tire shop tech asked you if they should throw them away, right? Not that you've actually scrutinized them yourself?

the tech probably just wants to resell them as used tires which they acquired for free.

#22 ·
My OEM Continentals on my Sport were below 2/32 before I hit 15k miles and about 9 months of commuting. I ended up getting a 50% comp on a replacement set at my dealer because I wasn't going to accept having to buy a new set of tires so soon. It's another set of Continentals, so I won't be too shocked if they don't last better than the previous set, but they were inexpensive. Under $400 mounted and balanced and put on.

Definitely not getting another set of Continental at any discount rate above 100% off if they wear that fast again.

#25 ·
Here we only get Continental Tur(d)anzas
They are Bridgestone, not Continental. :nerd:

I don't know exactly what tread they have new but having just checked mine with a gauge all four are wearing the outside more and I reckon the fronts will only be good for 12-15k miles. Not a lot more for the backs in fact which is odd for a FWD car. There's no obvious feathering or suchlike to suggest the geometry is much wrong, so from all the reports in this thread I'd conclude this car is just hard on the rubber (or FCA buy really soft/cheap stuff for OEM fit).

#24 ·
The stock continentals are pretty bad for wear. I had hoped to get 40k on them but barely made 30k. The continentals that came on mine were Conti Cross Contact LX Sport. They are not a cheap tire, about $160 each, but they have a ZERO mileage warranty. Like you the dealer comped me but I had to get more continentals, they have a deal with a local tire dealer. These are 90k tires and are doing good on wear. This will be my last set of continentals however. I never really liked them on previous cars I have owned over the years, wear problems and they can get very noisy.