Jeep Renegade Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Noisy brakes when off reading

I get the "Pebbles in my brakes" issue every time I off road with my Trailhawk. I have tried squirting a hose directly on my rotors near the pads, and while this has sometimes helped, it doesn't always solve the problem. I have had to remove the rotor and actually use a small file to get the debris off the brake pads. The pebbles were imbedded in the brake pads.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
When I was in the trade, I came across this before, but not as many cases for one vehicle.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Might also be the difference in the TH tires and the other brands on other models that don't pick up the stones as much.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a 2016 jeep renegade in Dec I have had 2 stones between the back plate and the rotor..... And I believe I have one again there right now. I have less then 3,500 miles on it. and this will be the third stone. I have to pull the wheel today and find out. However this is the same noise as last 2 times. frustrating . since its winter here in Pa . Penndot use chips I with there salt ..... so Will this be weekly or daily thing ........ little frustrated. :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
I too have had this problem with rocks getting stuck in back brake. It's a pain as this has happened 4 times in 6000kms. I can only hope that Jeep comes up with a fix. I'm getting annoyed having to take my tire off to fix it.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I think the "gap" between the pad and the rotor is "out of spec".

There should be "Gap" no more than 1/32" to maintain a slide fit at all times.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i just started having this problem. It seems to get worst and worst once the first pebble/stone finds its way in. The noise is completely gone at highway speeds, but at low speeds or in traffic, the sound is defeaning. Anyone have a suggestion for removing the rocks? I drive 25 miles on very poorly maintained dirt roads each day. The roads were the reason I got this vehicle. I had a Mazda CX-5 that never had this issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the exact problem happen today, this is the first time and I've only owned my Renegade 2 weeks. The screech is so load, I thought my wheels would going to pop off.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Drive about 3 miles on gravelled road daily. Have had this problem quite often with other makes (Toyota, Kia, BMW, Opel etc).
Not yet with the renegade !;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Me too ....

So this has just happened to me (2015 Jeep Cherokee Limited) in the UK. Metallic scraping sounded awful, it was late at night so left it until the next day. Reversed a few metres in the morning and still scraping. Did a three point turn to take it to the garage and the noise went. This was he first time with this jeep, HOWEVER...
our previous car was a Jeep Patriot (about 2010) and we took it to France a couple of years ago, same thing happened on he motorway, however the jeep's breakes were NEVER the same again - we endured juddering, especially when going downhill etc, our mechanic could never really get to the bottom of it.
Hopefully the same won't happen again but it does seem to be a Jeep centric issue, unless - as someone else said - it happens regularly to all cars.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've had it happen... crazy trails, washes, 100+ miles of dirt and sand - nothing. One quiet afternoon on a smooth, damp forest road outside of Flagstaff... SQUEEEE! Crawling around like a yahoo, found nothing and then I realised I had a pebble trapped against the front passenger disc - backed her up, pulled foreward squeaky gone.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I had a rock get in the back of the rim, behind the metal shield which I assume is there to prevent such things. So the Rick wasn't on the rotor but it did make a hideous noise.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a trailhawk with 35k on it and I drive very little gravel. I have had numerous stones stuck in all 4 brakes/rotors. Up till now the dealer didn’t charge me to fix it until today. Today they handed me a bill for $84 for a half hour in the shop. They stated that they don’t get paid warranty for rocks. I refused to pay it and said I would write up a letter to the local paper and phone Chrysler disputes. After a little back and forth they sucked it up and said free this time but never again. I really hope a fix is found for this issue as it is annoying as H-LL. Especially for a vehicle that’s made for off road.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised that the aftermarket will soon come up with a stone guard for Trailhawks, hopefully inexpensive. This is definitely a design flaw, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Jeep/Fiat to offer a solution. There are other more serious issues and the best response Jeep/Fiat comes up with is, "Suck it up, Buttercup".

People say how low the TSBs and recalls are for this vehicle. Yep. If the manufacturer never acknowledges complaints, on paper they don't exist.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So this is the forth car I've owned and have never come across or experienced this previously but during the past month I've had to experience on numerous occasions a horrible loud screeching noise which can only be described as metal grinding against metal.. horrid!
The first time I had to call assist out as I didn't have a clue what was going on and now I do... basically stones keep getting caught between the disc and brake pad and hence the loud scary noise. I know how to get them out now - even though I look like muppet driving back and forth slamming the brakes on to dislodge it (advise given to me by Jeep assist).
So, my question is if any one else has experienced this? As I'm surprised that with a car that's meant to be for off roading (I have a trailhawk) that this thing keeps happening? The whole purpose I bought the car was because of where I live... theres rocks & stones everywhere! and its the only car that I've had to do this! Sounds like a design flaw!
I have it booked in with Jeep in a weeks time for them to have a look at the wheels.... and some other problems.....sigh maybe I just have extremely bad luck with cars :(
Could the modern brake designs with brake rotors exposed to view add to the means in which stones impair braking.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So this is the forth car I've owned and have never come across or experienced this previously but during the past month I've had to experience on numerous occasions a horrible loud screeching noise which can only be described as metal grinding against metal.. horrid!
The first time I had to call assist out as I didn't have a clue what was going on and now I do... basically stones keep getting caught between the disc and brake pad and hence the loud scary noise. I know how to get them out now - even though I look like muppet driving back and forth slamming the brakes on to dislodge it (advise given to me by Jeep assist).
So, my question is if any one else has experienced this? As I'm surprised that with a car that's meant to be for off roading (I have a trailhawk) that this thing keeps happening? The whole purpose I bought the car was because of where I live... theres rocks & stones everywhere! and its the only car that I've had to do this! Sounds like a design flaw!
I have it booked in with Jeep in a weeks time for them to have a look at the wheels.... and some other problems.....sigh maybe I just have extremely bad luck with cars :(
It's not just you I have the same problem in my 2015 Jeep Renegade.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts