Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, took delivery last Tuesday and today a strange thing happened, advice needed.

We popped to shops and halfway there I noticed the logo on dash (auto start/stop A in orange with exclamation mark), then when I got to shop there was a very strong smell of burning.

Restarted engine after 15 mins, warning light disappeared but start/stop (activated button) no longer works!!

Anyone else have this problem? 2.0 4x4 diesel manual.

Cheers, Andy

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I would take it to the dealer as soon as possible. The loss of stop start is not an immediate problem, but a burning smell could be a safety issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does seem to be a niggling issue - my new Renegade auto stop/start sometimes stops sometimes doesn't, on one occasion it stopped but then flashed the 'auto stop/start not available' - great when you've got traffic behind - and needed restarting with the key. Even when it does work it seems more trouble than it's worth to me really.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've noticed it wont work when the engine is cold, or with max AC (cold) selected. I've also noticed on a hill you roll back quite a bit before the engine has started (we've an auto, so engine cuts off with brake applied, and back on when you release the brake, not sure how the manual version works??) it does tend to mean the car behind leaves a decent gap at the next set of lights though!!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I've noticed it wont work when the engine is cold, or with max AC (cold) selected. I've also noticed on a hill you roll back quite a bit before the engine has started (we've an auto, so engine cuts off with brake applied, and back on when you release the brake, not sure how the manual version works??) it does tend to mean the car behind leaves a decent gap at the next set of lights though!!

Are you engaging the electric hand brake?

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
I got stop/start activated on mine. Come to a stop with foot on brake pedal. Gearstick in neutral. Release clutch pedal. Engine stops. I tend to use electronic parking brake. Release brake pedal. Waiting for traffic lights to go green. Depress clutch pedal. Drive off and electronic automatically disconnects. Jeep never rolled forwards or backwards. So no problems with mine.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Even if I don't use the electronic parking brake, my Renegade has never rolled. You have a couple of seconds after taking your foot off the brake pedal to get the revs on. Never had a problem with mine.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
At a guess I would say it is how the car is programmed. My Scenic was exactly the same. I haven't played with vehicles for the past few years due to disability, so I am not 100%. I do know cars with a normal handbrake don't do this, the electronic parking equipped do, so that is why I am going for how the software is progammed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got stop/start activated on mine. Come to a stop with foot on brake pedal. Gearstick in neutral. Release clutch pedal. Engine stops. I tend to use electronic parking brake. Release brake pedal. Waiting for traffic lights to go green. Depress clutch pedal. Drive off and electronic automatically disconnects. Jeep never rolled forwards or backwards. So no problems with mine.

Mine won't allow the electronic handbrake to release without having your foot on the brake, yours sounds different. So I can't just depress the clutch pedal to restart the engine and go, you need to be braking first for that !

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Mine won't allow the electronic handbrake to release without having your foot on the brake, yours sounds different. So I can't just depress the clutch pedal to restart the engine and go, you need to be braking first for that !
Wonder why that is? Strange.

·
Registered
52 Posts

The initial handbrake off needs the footbrake on to release it, but after that it seems touching the throttle takes it off on ours.

Kevin, my runabout is a skoda, and it has hill start and a normal handbrake.

Syzygy, whilst stopping and starting in traffic up a hill, having to put the handbrake on every stop will definitely get tiresome, I may as well switch the engine off myself!!

I do wonder if i'm being too quick off the footbrake and onto the throttle, if it does have hill start, the Skoda turns the brake off when you touch the throttle, so if its the same on the Jeep then i'm hitting the throttle and turning the brake off before the engines started. I need to find a quiet hill!!

ps, ours is an auto, so stop/start cuts the engine with the footbrake on, and then restarts with the brake off. If you stop/engine off then you can put it into park (which puts the handbrake on), and it restarts when you put it back into drive.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
The initial handbrake off needs the footbrake on to release it, but after that it seems touching the throttle takes it off on ours.

Kevin, my runabout is a skoda, and it has hill start and a normal handbrake.

Syzygy, whilst stopping and starting in traffic up a hill, having to put the handbrake on every stop will definitely get tiresome, I may as well switch the engine off myself!!

I do wonder if i'm being too quick off the footbrake and onto the throttle, if it does have hill start, the Skoda turns the brake off when you touch the throttle, so if its the same on the Jeep then i'm hitting the throttle and turning the brake off before the engines started. I need to find a quiet hill!!

ps, ours is an auto, so stop/start cuts the engine with the footbrake on, and then restarts with the brake off. If you stop/engine off then you can put it into park (which puts the handbrake on), and it restarts when you put it back into drive.
When you stop on a hill you have to use a brake of some kind. With an automatic you have no clutch to balance as you release the foot brake. I think that is how they work. I have never owned one before though, but have driven a few on mainland Europe.

·
Registered
52 Posts
When you stop on a hill you have to use a brake of some kind. With an automatic you have no clutch to balance as you release the foot brake. I think that is how they work. I have never owned one before though, but have driven a few on mainland Europe.

Obviously you need a brake, but if you're quick from the brake to throttle you don't roll back, especially with creep, unless the engine has turned itself off!!

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Low battery voltage will disable start/stop in most cars with start stop. If it didn't, many driving situations would leave you stranded due to a dead battery.
I found that out in mine. I wondered why it worked before it went in to Jeep for the updates and didn't when I drove it home.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.