Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Renegade Trailhawk
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. New Member/Poster but I have been lurking for a while. There's a lot of great information here and you all are great for having shared it.

Recently (April 2020) purchased a 2016 BU Trailhawk and we have been everywhere! I've badges in three states and going for more soon! But before I do, I have to fix some whoopsies that happened at my recent trip to Anza Borrego. Excellent area to tool around on sand mode :cool:

The very last thing we did (of course) I believe I blew out my front driver strut. Oil was everywhere but everything was still drive-able. Or did I just spill the fluid everywhere and everything is fine? I caused some other damage but that's a different story for another time. My questions and hopefully you all can give some suggestions, would the Bilstein b8 5100 be worth it or should I stick with the KONI OEM replacements? I have novice experience with repairs and diagnosis. I have EXCELLENT friends with that knowledge who helped me with my upgrades and installs. Between us, id say its Advanced to Army technical levels lol. But im the only one with Renny in the group

I have the 1.5 Teraflex lift kit and Eibach coil springs which added a good amount of height. I've read people taking off the front sway bar links off to get rid of the stiffness.

I have plenty of fun stories about this jeep so far. Love her and the times we have!

·
Registered
146 Posts
"My questions and hopefully you all can give some suggestions, would the Bilstein b8 5100 be worth it or should I stick with the KONI OEM replacements?"

Speaking strictly from my own experience, my driver side front blew as well and it was not from out having any fun like you. Most of my driving is regular in town and highway. In addition the strut mount and bearing was bad. I replaced my stocks with the Bilstein B6 and couldn't be happier. To be honest, I've never had stock struts fail as early as the stock Renegade one's and for that reason would never put those back in the Jeep. Bilstein has always been a great replacement for all of my vehicles and I wouldn't hesitate to use them. Replacement isn't that difficult technically speaking. If you do it yourself, check and replace as necessary the mounts, bearings and spring isolators (in fact, just get the spring isolators anyway; they're cheap). Whether you do it yourself or have it done at a shop, "is it worth it?" Yes; just my two cents.

·
Super Moderator
3,737 Posts
welcomegroup

and enjoy the forum!

I moved your post to a section you should get more answers from!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hey all. New Member/Poster but I have been lurking for a while. There's a lot of great information here and you all are great for having shared it.

Recently (April 2020) purchased a 2016 BU Trailhawk and we have been everywhere! I've badges in three states and going for more soon! But before I do, I have to fix some whoopsies that happened at my recent trip to Anza Borrego. Excellent area to tool around on sand mode :cool:

The very last thing we did (of course) I believe I blew out my front driver strut. Oil was everywhere but everything was still drive-able. Or did I just spill the fluid everywhere and everything is fine? I caused some other damage but that's a different story for another time. My questions and hopefully you all can give some suggestions, would the Bilstein b8 5100 be worth it or should I stick with the KONI OEM replacements? I have novice experience with repairs and diagnosis. I have EXCELLENT friends with that knowledge who helped me with my upgrades and installs. Between us, id say its Advanced to Army technical levels lol. But im the only one with Renny in the group

I have the 1.5 Teraflex lift kit and Eibach coil springs which added a good amount of height. I've read people taking off the front sway bar links off to get rid of the stiffness.

I have plenty of fun stories about this jeep so far. Love her and the times we have!
View attachment 2396349494
How many miles are on your jeep? At one time i would do wverything you can imagine to my jeeps to make them better change engines inrease horsepower change diffs, the list goes on and on but the bottom line was........Nothing was really better but doing the mods were fun and expensive. Back then I thought i was smarter and knew more than the professional engineers with lifetimes of experiance behind them that designd and built my jeeps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts