Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a dead battery on my 2015 Renegade and called AAA to start it. The man told me the battery was 5 yrs old and should be replaced soon. The next week my trunk was not closed all the way and the battery was dead again. A few minutes later it started without a jump. We let it run 1/2 hour before turning it off. When we tried it early before work, it started right up. 1 hr later when I had to leave for work it was dead. Called AAA and asked for a jump and a replacement battery. The tech told me about 20 mins but he took an hour and apologized. The car was running when he packed up and left. I waved goodbye and he drove away. That is when I realized that the car was stuck in park. I turned it off and restarted it. It scrolled through all the warning light and settled with the check engine and service transmission. The odometer was flashing. I quick called AAA back. I was told 1 hr and they were going to have to tow it. I told them how it was fine at 10 pm and 7 am with no lights etc. Their was no signs of transmission problems. Even when I waited for a jump, almost everything worked and their were no transmission lights. This began after they checked alternator and replaced the battery. The tow arrived 1 hr later and he had no idea how to get it on the truck since he could not get it out of park. He said he had never seen this happen before. Finally he managed to get it on the truck and it had been 4 hrs since my first call. I had it towed to the local Jeep dealer who could not look at it for 2 days. Today they called and said there was a short in the solenoid for the transmission. I explained how there had not been an issue prior to this and asked if the electrical needed to be reset. He said, no, I needed a $1235 solenoid repair due to a short. This is outrageous considering it was fine before the battery. The 2 are absolutely connected. I have no idea what else to say to them. I know I need my car and can't really afford over a $1000 repair.

·
Registered
811 Posts
You could've tried the Gear Selector Override to see if you could get it into neutral, then start your Jeep and see if it would go into Drive. It's in your Owners Manual on the steps to take.

Also, your post isn't too clear as to how AAA jump started your Jeep. Chances are they used a battery pack, the safest procedure with these vehicles, jump starting "car to car" is not recommended; it can play havoc with all the electronics..

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I had a dead battery on my 2015 Renegade and called AAA to start it. The man told me the battery was 5 yrs old and should be replaced soon. The next week my trunk was not closed all the way and the battery was dead again. A few minutes later it started without a jump. We let it run 1/2 hour before turning it off. When we tried it early before work, it started right up. 1 hr later when I had to leave for work it was dead. Called AAA and asked for a jump and a replacement battery. The tech told me about 20 mins but he took an hour and apologized. The car was running when he packed up and left. I waved goodbye and he drove away. That is when I realized that the car was stuck in park. I turned it off and restarted it. It scrolled through all the warning light and settled with the check engine and service transmission. The odometer was flashing. I quick called AAA back. I was told 1 hr and they were going to have to tow it. I told them how it was fine at 10 pm and 7 am with no lights etc. Their was no signs of transmission problems. Even when I waited for a jump, almost everything worked and their were no transmission lights. This began after they checked alternator and replaced the battery. The tow arrived 1 hr later and he had no idea how to get it on the truck since he could not get it out of park. He said he had never seen this happen before. Finally he managed to get it on the truck and it had been 4 hrs since my first call. I had it towed to the local Jeep dealer who could not look at it for 2 days. Today they called and said there was a short in the solenoid for the transmission. I explained how there had not been an issue prior to this and asked if the electrical needed to be reset. He said, no, I needed a $1235 solenoid repair due to a short. This is outrageous considering it was fine before the battery. The 2 are absolutely connected. I have no idea what else to say to them. I know I need my car and can't really afford over a $1000 repair.

Hi Annie,
We certainly are sorry to hear about the trouble your are having with your Renegade. If you would like our additional support while working with your dealer, feel free to send us a private message with your VIN.

Kathryn
JeepCares

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
W E L C O M E ! ! ! to the forum.

If you can get anything more than 3 years out of stock a battery on a Renegade, you have been very fortunate.

Once the battery is charged enough, disconnect the battery for a few minutes and reconnect. This should correct the park brake issue.

Our "Computer Controlled" Renegade's are very power sensitive. Once the battery starts to fail you will see all kinds of strange issues arise.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Hi Annie, sorry to hear of your problems. You could use my guide to releasing the electronic parking brake with a flat battery.(Copied straight from my Jeep manual :p) I need to find the link.

But off the top of my head it goes something like this.

• Insert ignition key and turn to the MAR position (the bit before the engine starting)
  • insert drivers seatbelt to its holder
  • engage neutral
  • press down on footbrake and hold (slight movement will be felt as brake disengages)
  • press down on electronic brake lever
Thats the car now in free wheel mode.

If it is a totally dead battery then attach jump leads from another vehicle or battery but do not start any of the vehicles engines as it can blow the electrics. leave for a few minutes to allow some power to transfer from the good battery to the dead one. Just a little power is needed to disengage the brake.

Job done (y)(y)(y)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am currently having the same problem with my Jeep Renegade 2015... Stuck on Park after a car to car boost. The reason for my battery to be dead has been a chronic issue and I changed the battery twice and seems like I still have issues.

·
Registered
2017 Jeep Renegade Limited AWD 2.4L
697 Posts
I am currently having the same problem with my Jeep Renegade 2015... Stuck on Park after a car to car boost. The reason for my battery to be dead has been a chronic issue and I changed the battery twice and seems like I still have issues.
Sounds like you have the dreaded “parasitic draw.” Do you have a multimeter handy? Here’s how to test for parasitic draw....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Annie,
We certainly are sorry to hear about the trouble your are having with your Renegade. If you would like our additional support while working with your dealer, feel free to send us a private message with your VIN.

Kathryn
JeepCares
Same problem with my 2015 jeep renegade.. it's at the dealer now. They want 1000 dollars to replace a shifter... Not happy

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Stuck on Park after a car to car boost.
Therein above could lie your fault. Your Jeep doesn't like getting a jump start as it's can fry the electronic brain that controls your vehicle if incorrectly applied.

Have you tried the procedure for Automatic Transmission Gear lever Unlocking? Briefly its a quick job of stopping the engine and removing the gear selector trim and gaitor, press and hold down the brake, insert a long thin rod ie screwdriver into a hole in the front right corner and adjusting the release lever. Now place gear stick into neutral, refit the panel and gaitor. Start the engine.

A single picture is available on page 152 of your manual which is where I have searched and taken this description from. Jumpstarting is on page 150-151.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Same problem with my 2015 jeep renegade.. it's at the dealer now. They want 1000 dollars to replace a shifter... Not happy
Hi Mindy,

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing similar concerns. Please feel free to message Jeep Cares privately with your VIN if you would like additional support from our team!

Hannah
Jeep Cares

1 - 10 of 10 Posts