Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't posted in a while. When I bought my Jeep the dealer added the bug deflector.

Ive never had one before so I didn't know what to expect. Well I thought it was suppose to deflect bugs. Didn't really, but it looked cool on my Jeep.

Move on to Canadian winters with a bug deflector. The thing cracked and I could see it from the drivers side flapping on the way home.

I pulled over and saw that it had come undone on the drivers side. I snapped it back into place (got my handy Philips screw driver that come with the jeep) and secured it.

When I got home and saw it was all cracked I decided to take it off.

This is when I almost started to cry. (I love my jeep and if anyone is going to scratch it or ding it or anything it better be me!).

At every location where the bug deflectorctor was attached to my cheep now has scratch marks!

DH told me to mention it to the dealer next time I'm in. Doubt they'll do anything.

So think twice if you're going to get the bug deflector.

·
Registered
210 Posts
DO take the story and info to your dealer.

MY mopar bug guard came off in the car wash. No damage, but I returned it. They refunded install labor AND the part. (bought and installed at the dealership.) I told them not to sell any of these to anyone else. Maybe if I send them this thread, they'll understand I was not alone in the "issue".

This is another failed effort at quick marketing where Renegade is concerned.
So sorry it happened to you. Been there, Done that.

My local dealer has been WONDERFUL, and right now, my Jeep sits waiting for a fix for bad "brain" issues with Uconnect (the larger one of the two) and is in 'vehicle down' status.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Thanks guys. I was sitting in a McDonald's drive through in a neighboring town in my black Jeep Renegade Trailhawk anda Red Jeep Renegade Trailhawk with a bug deflector pulled up right behind. I thought about getting one. I had one my Chevy truck for years with no problems. Sorry hear about your problems with them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Bug deflector design is definitely terrible, was very skeptical when I installed it, and low and behold just like you @I1430radio it came flying off at the car wash. I was actually going to post a DIY for installing it, but after that I felt the same, no one should buy them. The design is terrible. I am waiting for an aftermarket piece with some real thought put into it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for posting this information. I was looking into getting the bug deflector because I have had an enormous problem with bug splatter. I don't know if it's because the Renegade's aerodynamics encourage ungodly numbers of bugs to meet their demise, or if it's the same amount of splatter I experienced in prior cars and I just didn't notice because I didn't really care about those cars, or if this is a crazy year for bugs. I'd really like to keep all these stupid bugs off my Renegade! Sounds like I'll have to wait for a better option to come to market.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello. I have the Mopar bug guard. Actually on my 3rd one. . Came of in car wash dryer 3x. Dealer bought and installed. I told them it was a known issue and to contact mopar. My renegade is at dealer geating a new cluster (Crack in glass). Before I dropped it off I had to do so they could take a pic. At r that time they reached it and it came of (they were already replacing because of a Crack). So they caked me to update. It's reinstalled. I asked what about the car wash and she did oh we will hand wash it. I said ok great.. what about for me.. can you test it and see if it comes again. Dummies.. I love the look and how it works... always had them. .so hopefully they can find a fix...

·
Registered
98 Posts
It's great at protecting the hood but not so great at flinging bugs. Maybe if it was just a bit bigger? I still like it, though. And why in the world are you guys taking a brand new vehicle to an automated car wash? I wouldn't put my XJ through one, and it doesn't even have any clear coat left.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thanks for posting this information. I was looking into getting the bug deflector because I have had an enormous problem with bug splatter. I don't know if it's because the Renegade's aerodynamics encourage ungodly numbers of bugs to meet their demise, or if it's the same amount of splatter I experienced in prior cars and I just didn't notice because I didn't really care about those cars, or if this is a crazy year for bugs. I'd really like to keep all these stupid bugs off my Renegade! Sounds like I'll have to wait for a better option to come to market.
I am observing the same bug problem with my Renegade. This never happened on the Jag. I assumed it was because that car was barely a little more than a meter tall. I have never had a bug deflector. I always assumed that Mopar sold a wind deflector instead of a bug deflector.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also HAD one of these. Came off during first car wash (actually the dryer) clips and all. :-(
Never bothered to reinstall it and it cracked in half during the winter.

I had a WeatherTech deflector for my 2010 Jeep Commander. It was GREAT!! Bolted to the underside of the hood. Simple and quick install. It never budged.

Come on WetherTech...make one for us!

·
Registered
44 Posts
And why in the world are you guys taking a brand new vehicle to an automated car wash?
For the same reason I take an old vehicle to the automatic car wash - to get the bugs off the windshield, of course.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I really would like a Deflector for my Rene but I have been hesitant from reviews and just my own judgment. I don't live in Canada and our seasons here are never really too "extreme" but our bug seasons lean more toward the extreme side and that little indent between the windshield and the roof catches plenty of bugs and its a little difficult to get the mess out of. I would hope the deflector would help alleviate the issue, but i'm also worried about it breaking or popping off and scratching my Rene.
As of now I have not seen another Renegade with a deflector to compare too but the interest is still there to add a deflector. I know people who have had them on their vehicles now for many years with no problems but I just don't want to be the exception for a problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.