Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I hate the lack of cubbies, holders, and places to put things in the Renegade. From a hipster driving to Starbucks to a outdoorsman that this car is targeted for, there is a lack of places to put stuff. One of my biggest issue is the lack of a sunglasses holder. There is so much head room and available space to add one of these cubbies around the sun visors.

I looked into adding something aftermarket and found these flip open cubbies that replaces the overhead grab handle. Since I never use it on the driver side and the driver of all people would need to use some sunglasses, I decided to replace the driver side overhead grab handle with one of these. I didn't like any of those clip on sun visor ones. With the Renegade being a new car you can't find anything that is made for it. So I did some measurements and ordered one that was close to the size I needed. This is how it looks on the Renegade.

On Ebay there are 3 different types of these sunglasses holders. The type of mounts makes them different. From what I can remember, there is one that replaces the screw on type grab handles. Then there is one that is almost the same but is considered universal because they give you a mounting plate you are suppose to slide in behind the headliner. The last one is the one I purchased. This was is specially made for Toyotas. Using the Toyota push in clip type fasteners. These are screwless. After removing the Renegades grad handles, I took a gamble hoping that Jeep and Toyota used similar push in style clips.

I was wrong.

Another thing to note is that all of these Chinese Ebay sunglasses holders are the same size. Try to look for one that shows the actual sizing. Just to make sure. Some of the auctions don't give you any information on the sizing at all.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/33165085062...49&var=540789154162&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

You don't need to get this exact one. Get anyone you want with whatever mounting styles you want. I ended up removing the mounting feet and replaced them with the ones from the Renegade's grab handle. You can probably get the screw on type one and make a bracket to screw it onto the car. Instead of buying a new one, I figured I could try and make the one I bought work. And I did.

Be warned that I cut and trimmed the Renegade feet mounts. So if I ever put the grab handle back on, it would look ugly or I would have to buy new ones.

Here is some comparisons of the two pieces. The colors aren't exactly the same, but it looks fine on the car. You can see the grab handle mounting feet are a bit wider apart.

Here are the 2 pins comparisons. The completely smooth pin is the Renegade grab handle pin. It's slightly larger in diameter. The pin with the teeth on one end is the sunglasses holder pin. The teeth on the pin are on the outside of the hole, so you insert the non-teeth side in first.

To remove the pins on the holder I used a needle nose pliers or wire cutter pliers. Reach in where ever you can and wedge it out. Once it's out a bit, I could grab the bit that is coming out and pull the rest of it out.

To remove the pins from the grab handle I used a small screw driver or punch and push them out from the inside. They almost seem tapered. If I tried to push them out from the outside, it wouldn't work. Use a hammer if you need to. I didn't need too, but had one in case.

Here is the 2 mounting feet comparison on the holder. The left is the holder feet. The right is the grab handle installed on the holder.

And both of the grab handle feet are installed on the holder. I used the holder's pins to hold the grab handle feet onto the holder. The spring is only used on one of the feet. I used the spring from the grab handle with the grab handle's feet. The position of the feet when mounted will push the spring against the feet, but it's fine.

I didn't use the grab handle pins because they are a bit larger than the holder's holes. So I would have to file the holes larger, which I did not want to do. The spring feet is loose on the smaller pin, but the spring tension keeps it from rattling. The other feet though, will freely move and rattle. This is not an issue when the holder is mounted onto the car. The spring will add pressure/tension to both feet, preventing any rattling.

My first attempt to mount the holder with the swapped out feet didn't work. The holder's mounting points are just a bit short. You can make them fit, but the spring will not work properly and the many contact points will prevent the holder from working properly.

This is when I had to cut and trim the mounting feet and the holder to make everything fit better. The mounting feet having to be trimmed down so that they sit as far apart from each other as possible. Push them as far as you can to the outside of the holder while still on the pins.

I ended up trim more off of the picture above.

Trim anything in the way on the feet so that it will swing open without contact as well. I also trim a bit off the corners of the sunglasses holder that was making contact as well.

Once both feet are cut down the same and the corners of the holder have been trimmed, the feet will fit into the mounting holes a lot easier. The clearance will also allow the holder to open with no major friction and the spring will be allowed to automatically close the holder back up.
Here you can see the finally mod done and mounted.

Here are my glasses and sunglasses. My glasses have a smaller profile and fits just fine in any position. The sunglasses are wrap around styles and have a large bow profile. This makes it fit not so well.

With the lens facing the inside of the car the holder is cracked open.

With lens facing the outside of the car, it fits better, but not all the way.

*A special thing to note is the tension of the spring. It is a bit lite for my liking. I used the spring from the Renegade's grab handle. The spring works fine right now, but I feel it will weaken over time. I'm also worried about rattling when going over bumps or all the time when I'm on the trail. I will have to come back with an update once I do some testing. Maybe swap the springs out or find a new spring all together.

· Registered
39 Posts
WOW! You're awesome.

I found this thread with my search, "Lack of cubbies and cup holders". LOL

I am really going to have to get used to the lack of compartments. I just left an Odyssey with multiple cup holders way up front and cubbies for glasses, etc. galore. grrrr.....
I also can't figure out where to put my purse lol.

FWWGP (First World White Girl Problems....but darn frustrating nonetheless! ;))

· Registered
1 Posts
WOW! You're awesome.

I found this thread with my search, "Lack of cubbies and cup holders". LOL

I am really going to have to get used to the lack of compartments. I just left an Odyssey with multiple cup holders way up front and cubbies for glasses, etc. galore. grrrr.....
I also can't figure out where to put my purse lol.

FWWGP (First World White Girl Problems....but darn frustrating nonetheless! ;))
I found this post by googling "How to remove Oh **** Handles on a..." tahahaha

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.