Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my Trailhawk stuck in 24 inches of water on the front drivers side. It is stock height. Was there about 15 minutes before we got everything set up to pull it out. I know the intake was fine but should I be worried about getting water into the transmission breather at that depth? Passenger side was only a couple inches down and rear was still out of water so Im not worried about the differential breather, only the trans and possibly some electronics? Anyone know of any sensitive areas I should check?

·
Super Moderator
3,029 Posts
If you did not relocate the trans breather I would e checking that first. When we put our snorkel on I relocated the trans & rear diff breathers.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Guys may I be so silly as to ask what pipes in the engine compartment need to always be clear of water and where they are located.

I understand some of you use a "Snorkel" but what intake is that diverting?

Please keep in mind that I am not a mechanic but as Nik was stuck in 24" of water I often wonder what is the greatest depth of water I can negotiate without blowing up the engine as well.

Nik, many thanks for making me think. (y)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you did not relocate the trans breather I would e checking that first. When we put our snorkel on I relocated the trans & rear diff breathers.
I have not relocated either. Do you think you could give me some info on how you did the relocation or if there are specific aftermarket breather tubes? I suppose I will check the trans fluid just to be safe. From a quick forum search it seems like I am in for a time as people say there isnt a dipstick. Lol

Guys may I be so silly as to ask what pipes in the engine compartment need to always be clear of water and where they are located.

I understand some of you use a "Snorkel" but what intake is that diverting?

Please keep in mind that I am not a mechanic but as Nik was stuck in 24" of water I often wonder what is the greatest depth of water I can negotiate without blowing up the engine as well.

Nik, many thanks for making me think. (y)

I believe the official answer is 11 inches on a Renegade, 18 on a Trailhawk. But that is fording depth, not sitting for an extended time and Id imagine a few extra inches of clearance either way for safe tolerances.

Ultimately it all depends on how deep you can go without sucking water into the intake, or a breather (crankcase, transmission, and differential.) And also of course, without sinking electronics. My understanding is that the greater fording depth of the trailhawk is largely due to relocation of electronics.

·
Super Moderator
3,029 Posts
I just ran trans line from the nipple on the trans and put it up in a small coil under the hood with the old cap on the new line. I don't have a photo of it but this is a photo from my JK front diff,trans & t case. Pulled out so it can be seen. It is tucked in nice and clean but hard to see that way in a photo.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just ran trans line from the nipple on the trans and put it up in a small coil under the hood with the old cap on the new line. I don't have a photo of it but this is a photo from my JK front diff,trans & t case. Pulled out so it can be seen. It is tucked in nice and clean but hard to see that way in a photo.
Awesome. Thanks for the info. Do you happen to remember which side of the trans the breather is located on? Hope my TH is built similar to yours by the time Im done.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I believe the official answer is 11 inches on a Renegade, 18 on a Trailhawk. But that is fording depth, not sitting for an extended time and Id imagine a few extra inches of clearance either way for safe tolerances.

Ultimately it all depends on how deep you can go without sucking water into the intake, or a breather (crankcase, transmission, and differential.) And also of course, without sinking electronics. My understanding is that the greater fording depth of the trailhawk is largely due to relocation of electronics.
Nik, 11" on the Renegade is just likely below sill height. I've gone through deeper puddles in a Ford Mondeo hatchback.

Does that mean if I try to cross a puddle on the road that's recently flooded at 11" that it's too deep?

I've had the sea on the launching beach (flat calm) sitting about 1" below my door seals and nothing happened. I believed now naievely that the engine air intake pipe sits high on the engine and that exhaust outlet has no pressure upon it when underwater than you and I blowing through a straw in a cup of water.

Please tell me I have just been really lucky as the car passed it's MOT last month with flying colours.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nik, 11" on the Renegade is just likely below sill height. I've gone through deeper puddles in a Ford Mondeo hatchback.

Does that mean if I try to cross a puddle on the road that's recently flooded at 11" that it's too deep?

I've had the sea on the launching beach (flat calm) sitting about 1" below my door seals and nothing happened. I believed now naievely that the engine air intake pipe sits high on the engine and that exhaust outlet has no pressure upon it when underwater than you and I blowing through a straw in a cup of water.

Please tell me I have just been really lucky as the car passed it's MOT last month with flying colours.

Id imagine you are fine and so am I. If you are worried about it then I'd suggest checking trans fluid and the gear oil in your diff.

·
Registered
346 Posts
When I see some of the roads turned to rivers that some UK residents experienced and traversed a few weeks ago in cars smaller than ours I feel relieved knowing our Jeeps can do it in style.

For me the benefit of a diesel was the engine being at an internal positive pressure that repels water as opposed to a petrol engine that sucks in water as they are at low pressure.

I'm relieved (y):D

·
Super Moderator
1,399 Posts
DERVs are actually more prone to catastrophic engine failure, due to water getting sucked in via the air intake, than a petrol engine.

I don't think the Renegade's stock air intake is well positioned. It should be at bonnet level.

Wading rule of thumb is: No higher than the top of the wheels (Not tyres) if you want to be safe.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Nev I like your laymans description.

If my Renny went any higher than the top of the wheel then I need to find a new Mod for the car.

Does Jeep do "water-wings" with an outboard engine as an attachment? 🤣

If I need to go that deep to launch my boat then I think I have upgraded my boat to a Luxury Liner 😂😛

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was out the other day and hit a puddle no more then a foot deep at around 15mph when I started getting warning codes, ESC, Hill assist, ABS, ect. Afterwards I couldn't use any other modes besides Auto. I turned off the ignition and restarted but it didn't clear immediately, then suddenly while trying to head for home about 30 minutes later, everything cleared.
Not sure what got wet but once it dried out the codes cleared. A bit worrisome at the time.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Naches, years ago while driving my 2.0L diesel automatic Ford Mondeo I hit a mirror glass like puddle at the bottom of a dip in the road below a small hill on a country road. So flat the puddle was, that it looked just like the road.

That was until I came to an almost sudden stop.

Like you it was a puddle of around 1ft deep and thankfully the car couldn't or didn't stall being an automatic. Oh I suffered sorely as the seat belt kicked in (didn't actuate the pre tensioners) thankfully. I managed to crawl out of that puddle and carry on but no warning lights. :oops:

last week I was in play mode. On a country road in a little village that I pass through weekly had a massive puddle that the lorries were driving around but not me. :p

Into 4 wheel drive automatic with a flick of the dial and at 20mph I entered that puddle and floored it in 2nd gear and I ploughed through that puddle easily. A massive bow wave of water is getting pushed away at the front of the car which lowered the height of the water dramatically but immediately in front of me. 2ft in front was different as the wave height builds up but keeps getting moved away with forward momentum. The wave height drops at the wheels and doesnt even reach the top of the door sill. The enormous swash of the wave went way above the height of the car and landed in someones garden. The woman behind me stopped dead in the road and watched. It was 5 minutes later before she caught up with me. :LOL:

I was having fun and I understand the severity of what can happen had the air intake hose sucked up water. Can someone enlighten me on where exactly the intake sits and if I can change it's height to sit at the top of the engine? :unsure:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts