Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 Trailhawk with mysky, electric push button opening for front. I can't close the sunroof, it starts to close very slowly then reverses and starts to open, Ive tried everything pulling it as hard as I can.. and it seems go a little bit then reverse again... I have 35,700 miles on it, but just passed the 3 year mark end of January.
Any have experience with his? Any advice appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If you search the forum for "My Sky won't close" you will find some threads that might help you. I don't have the My Sky so I am not able to personally help you. Check out the search and also there are some very knowledgeable members here that might pop in to help. Good luck.

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Renegade, Latitude, 2.4L 4x4, black, 9 speed automatic, MySky
463 Posts
You could look at the drive mechanism for it, theres a common problem of some clips breaking off. I had this issue and it eventually lead to another piece shattering while trying to move it.

There is a emergency manual closing option, however. Above the middle seat in the rear on the headliner is a little plastic button that you can remove to expose a slot for an Allen key. You can put that wrench in the hole and manually open or close the sunroof. If it still resists closing pretty good, don’t force it. You’ll break the mechanism and cause a lot of headaches.

I’d move it all the way forward manually and see if it starts working again after. If not, you may need to take it apart and have a look around in the mechanism. Please, let me know if you find anything. I have learned a lot from repairing my own MySky sunroof and want to give out as much info and tips as possible.

Good luck Kimberlee!

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
W E L C O M E ! ! ! to the forum.

Owners manual has a how to manually close the MySky.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've been having the same issue. Mine has been having difficulty opening or closing at random, it would grind open/close then stop and reset. I cleaned and greased the tracks. I tried to open mine today and a loud popping noise occured. It sounded like snapping plastic. My sunroof is now dead and I had to manually close it.

Can ya'll post a link to a breakdown thread on how to tear this thing apart?

Not to mention all the sunroof gaskets have come off as they were only glued on.(n)

·
Registered
40 Posts
A little update... I looked around the tracks and found this piece of plastic snapped off on the passenger side track.

I took the MySky panel off and used the button to open close the MySky. Only the driver's side rail/track has movement. The passenger side track/trail/mechanism doesn't move. I'm guessing the passenger side died and the force from the driver's side snapped the piece of plastic off the immobile passenger side rail?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I've been having the same issue. Mine has been having difficulty opening or closing at random, it would grind open/close then stop and reset. I cleaned and greased the tracks. I tried to open mine today and a loud popping noise occured. It sounded like snapping plastic. My sunroof is now dead and I had to manually close it.

Can ya'll post a link to a breakdown thread on how to tear this thing apart?

Not to mention all the sunroof gaskets have come off as they were only glued on.(n)
The entire roof has to be replaced to repair the sunroof... not kidding.

... in short, if you take it to the dealer for repair, the dealer will usually subcontract it out to a body for replacement.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The entire roof has to be replaced to repair the sunroof... not kidding.

... in short, if you take it to the dealer for repair, the dealer will usually subcontract it out to a body for replacement.
I was not aware they would subcontract it out. I was looking at buying the entire roof set myself and attempt to replace it.

I'll probably trade my Renegade in if I can fix it. All the MySky roof gaskets have come off and are sagging into their channels. The panels up there have warped too. Not a quality design.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I was not aware they would subcontract it out. I was looking at buying the entire roof set myself and attempt to replace it.

I'll probably trade my Renegade in if I can fix it. All the MySky roof gaskets have come off and are sagging into their channels. The panels up there have warped too. Not a quality design.
I’ve had some success with a fix for that part as I’ve had the same issue. However, some others said that the fix didn’t work out for them. I would offer perhaps trying a thick CA glue with a spray cure applied over it. That creates a surprisingly good bond.

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Look at this thread. I managed to fix it but it’s a lengthy description so I haven’t wrote it yet. Let me know when the new clips come in and I’ll write up instructions.
Very interesting discussions. I'm trying to troubleshoot my roof that suddenly wont close, 2016 Latitude. Can anyone tell me if I can operate the system with the roof panel removed. Thanks

·
Registered
463 Posts
Very interesting discussions. I'm trying to troubleshoot my roof that suddenly wont close, 2016 Latitude. Can anyone tell me if I can operate the system with the roof panel removed. Thanks
The manual says it won’t move if you remove the panel.

DO THIS BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELSE.
Trying to shut it before I knew what I was doing was how I broke it.

What the problem is a lack of lubrication somewhere on the tracks, most likely the rear ones. Get some white lithium grease and grease up the system. I used a spray can version and hasn’t had issues since. I got it at autozone. It’s important to grease the rear tracks first before you fix anything so you can have the guides run over the grease when you’re closing it.

In the rear seat above the middle seat on the headliner is a small cap. Pop that out. With the car off, use a 5mm Allen key and stick it into the hole. Now wind the sunroof to the fully closed position.

You’ll now have to reset the sunroof position since it thinks it’s still open. The procedure follows:

move the ignition device to MAR;
press button A: fig. 39 in "closing"
position;
press the button for at least
10 seconds, then you should hear the
mechanical stop of the roof motor;
press the button A in the "closing"
position again within 5 seconds;
hold down button A: in this position,
the roof will perform an automatic
opening and closing cycle. Otherwise,
repeat the operations starting from the
beginning;
hold down button A until the roof is
completely closed: the initialisation
procedure has ended.

After all this, it should be back to working order. Please message if you have any questions, I don’t want someone to have another broken sunroof.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2016 Trailhawk with mysky, electric push button opening for front. I can't close the sunroof, it starts to close very slowly then reverses and starts to open, Ive tried everything pulling it as hard as I can.. and it seems go a little bit then reverse again... I have 35,700 miles on it, but just passed the 3 year mark end of January.
Omg I'm havg the same issue on my Jeep Renegade Latitude 2016 also my Basic warranty did expire. I have two months left on the powertrain. The dealer Mgr told me since time has passed after the first couple of times servicing the vehicle and supposedly fixing the issue twice(NOT) meaning they forced it closed. Now I have to get a diagnostic done and have to pay and ha e to find means of transportation too. I'm about to get legal assistance on this issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I want to write this to make you aware that you can find this part on aliexpress for about 40 dollars. No need to spend so much money on replacing the whole thing
1pc for Jeep Renegade sunproof Clip Slideway Bracket bucklet Cable Original Genuine 77368445 77368446 |Sunroof, Convertible & Hardtop| - AliExpress
Hello 2017 Jeep Renegade owners. This site listed above has the parts to fix the sunroof!!!!! It costs about $50-usd total for both sides. You do need to take down the headliner. On a scale of 1-10, its about a 5-6 on the difficult scale. Keep all screws in a ziplock bag :) . It was so worth it. The two parts were delivered quickly. Exact fit. You need to take out the screws under the slide track. This allows you to take out the old broken part and install the new part. Total time spent on this repair was about 2-3 hours. The headliner and side panels all held up great and returned to the original position. The sunroof works like new!!!!!!!!!!!! No need to buy a new sun roof as mentioned before. Have the dealer order these parts and pay for a few hour of labor, to have a working sunroof.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Omg I'm havg the same issue on my Jeep Renegade Latitude 2016 also my Basic warranty did expire. I have two months left on the powertrain. The dealer Mgr told me since time has passed after the first couple of times servicing the vehicle and supposedly fixing the issue twice(NOT) meaning they forced it closed. Now I have to get a diagnostic done and have to pay and ha e to find means of transportation too. I'm about to get legal assistance on this issue.
Folks, I found a reset procedure for the Jeep Renegade, 2017 sunroof. Simply pull down the forward/reverse button for at least 30 seconds. This should reset the positioning. The sunroof will close and then should operate normally. I believe your problem is occuring because the sunroof has lost track of its position. The sunroof does not know where the starting position is. Good luck, simple fix.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Any tips for installing these clips? Both sides of ours are broken.
You need to drop the headliner. Then you will see the tracks on each side of the ceiling close to each front door. You need to remove the screws (5 or 6) under the track that hold the track in place. With these screws removed, you can easily remove the track and the old broken part and install the new part. Assemble in reverse, be patient with the headliner. It went back into the original position without damage. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts

1 - 20 of 29 Posts