Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Late last week we speculated if Jeep was considering building a Trackhawk Renegade before the Hellcat powered Grand Cherokee. This week our ramblings were validated by Motor Authority who report the Renegade Trakhawk has been green lit internally.

Granted, take the news with a grain of salt as FCA refused to confirm, although there was no explicit denial. MA's source suggests that despite what the PR minions say the Renegade Trackhawk has been given the go ahead and should be expected for the 2018 model year (summer 2017).

As for motivation the rumors suggest a twin turbo 2.4L 4 cylinder, capable of some 300 horsepower (differing our speculation on the 1.75T from the Alfa 4C.) AWD would be standard, but which gearbox?

"We don't comment on future products." Got it...

·
Super Moderator
3,630 Posts
Not buying the 2.4l twin turbo. I don't think there's enough room to put a sequential twin turbo setup in there. Going full rally car 1 &3 routed into one and 2-4 routed into another (or equivalent) would require an after burner setup or whatever it is called to keep the turbos spooled, and 300 hp would be a pretty low end target to hit with that setup.

Twin scroll turbo on the other hand, totally buy it as possible. They say the new hurricane engines should be able to put out 275+, so...

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
I'm curious, maybe I'm not up to date with my terminology but I actually had to look up what is a Trackhawk. When I first read it I thought they misspelled Trailhawk, but apparently such a thing exists.

Speaking of which, the article mentions Renegade Trackhawk and to a certain extent that forum shows a Renegade in the thread but no where does their thread mention Renegade. Confused?

Someone care to elaborate.

Now if true, it will probably be expensive as heck. But if they can put in a 300HP engine in there, it will be sweet.

TS

·
Registered
499 Posts
What other vehicles would something like this compete against though? It kinda seems like it is a pretty unique vehicle compared to what is out there.
Could compete against the Subaru STI for rally events.

For regular old street driving on the other hand, not sure it would really compete with anything - not too many subcompact SUV's out there with lowered suspensions, AWD, and 300HP.

·
Super Moderator
3,630 Posts
What other vehicles would something like this compete against though? It kinda seems like it is a pretty unique vehicle compared to what is out there.
Stats wise, Ford focus RS, Subaru WRX STI (although, more honestly competed when that had a wagon and/or hatch variant), Forester STI (not us market), land rover evoque (270hp), Mistu EVO (although that's going away), Golf R (hot hatch, 292hp, awd), Audi S3 variants, Porsche Macan (although more of a cherokee size).

All of the above are turbo chaged, 275hp+ CUV/hot hatch type of vehicles out there. All go at about $32k+

It's far from a totally alien concept to the market, it is pretty niche though.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If it does want to compete in an expanding niche market the design will have to be streamlined a bit because it looks like someone slapped on a bit of extra armor in their garage.

·
Registered
831 Posts
If it does want to compete in an expanding niche market the design will have to be streamlined a bit because it looks like someone slapped on a bit of extra armor in their garage.
Looks like fender flares more then anything... I wouldn't bet against a wider track for the Trackhawk renegade... totally welcome if they intend on actually baking in performance capabilities..

·
Registered
604 Posts
Here are the drag coefficients listed for the Renegade on Allpar:

0.350 (FWD)
0.360 (AWD)
0.370 (Trailhawk)

For reference, the Tesla Model S has a drag coefficient of 0.24, and a Hummer H2 is 0.57.

Other cars in the 0.35-0.37 range include the BMW Z3 coupe (0.37), Suburu WRX (0.36) and the original Dodge Viper GTS (0.35).

So apparently looks can be deceiving. A Mini Cooper, Nissan Cube and Toyota MR2 all come in at 0.35 according to Wikipedia.

This data also suggests that ride height has a major effect on drag, hence the difference between Renegade models. A lowered Trackhawk version should be even better, drag-wise.

·
Super Moderator
3,630 Posts
all par has info on the hurricane... potentially in 2.0 and 2.4 flavours, the twin turbos are likely to be of the two stage variety

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/fours/hurricane.html
Actually it says that despite Chrysler having tested a two stage once some time ago, it was unlikely to be used.

They suggested a twin scroll was likely. That's not a two stage setup.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.