Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so silly ??? for yall but I have only had TJ's Yj's and Xj's and they were easy to dc the sway bar. I just got a 2017 trailhawk and was tinkering around and went to disconnect the swaybar and noticed it only really has a nut on one side. when I turn the nut the whole nut and threaded spindle turns. Like the bolt is turning too. at first for a turn or so when it broke free just the nut turned but now both turn. what am I doing wrong? tyty

·
Registered
731 Posts
Welcome!

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong; but as far as I know, the sway bar isn't supposed to be disconnected on Renegades with their independent suspensions (to include Trailhawks). Not like on "real" Jeeps with solid axles, where the sway bar can be disconnected for better off-road articulation...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the teraflex kit i think it is comes with quick disconnects. so that would lead me to believe that they are to be disconnected. I have also watched vid's and heard people talking about just removing them. i am not in that boat. i did that on a Yj and Tj. Not this one please don't flame. Learned that one already.

·
Registered
731 Posts
the teraflex kit i think it is comes with quick disconnects.
I took a quick look through their web site, and I didn't see any sway bars for the Renegade. I may have missed something...

I'm no expert on suspensions, but i think that even with the sway bar completely disconnected, it wouldn't give much advantage on a vehicle with independent suspension like the Renegade...

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Renegade, Latitude, 2.4L 4x4, black, 9 speed automatic, MySky
447 Posts
I can’t remember it’s been a while, but when I was installing my lift kit, I believe it has a bolt style with a threaded nut that requires a bit to be placed into the bolt top to stop it from spinning.

·
Registered
2015 Trailhawk
778 Posts
so silly ??? for yall but I have only had TJ's Yj's and Xj's and they were easy to dc the sway bar. I just got a 2017 trailhawk and was tinkering around and went to disconnect the swaybar and noticed it only really has a nut on one side. when I turn the nut the whole nut and threaded spindle turns. Like the bolt is turning too. at first for a turn or so when it broke free just the nut turned but now both turn. what am I doing wrong? tyty
As I recall, there's a Torx socket hole on the "bolt" head to keep it from turning while rotating the nut.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought that there might be a torx male input bolt head on the arm but when I checked it I found just plastic. I did read about other people talking about this. I was even thinking maybe the rubber fitting could be pushed back and a wrench put on it or something haven't tryed that yet. just got my 1.5 lift today after work. It comes with new non quick disconnnects. is daystar. I see where leaving it connected while wheeling would be better. but I could be wrong. First time with anything other then solid axles. but just what the sway does makes it bad for wheeling I would think, but still getting off topic of not being able to get the darn thing off LOL. need to be able to put new ones on for the lift. thank you again guys and gals.

·
Registered
2015 Trailhawk
778 Posts
I remember better now. I recall what a PITA it was because I had to turn the nyloc nut with something that also allowed me to access the center of the threads. Luckily I have ratcheting box wrenches.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I added a lift kit that has a quick disconnect feature. I'm not sure a stock trailhawk has that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Teraflex doesn't make the quick disconnect any longer and they don't put it in the lift kit since they stopped making it. I spoke with them about a month ago and they said disconnecting it wasn't worth it as the added travel is insignificant. And answer I found to be odd as every CM counts on the trail. I believe a trailhawk would get about 3" of extra travel by disconnecting the sway bar, this is according to a write up on toasterjeep.com and that is allot for us.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts