Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 1.4T runs fine on the 93 octane (no 91 around). Getting an average 27.9 mpg.

But for the winter months in NE Ohio, Nov 1 to May 31, I'm going to try 87 octane. My calculation say I'll save about $450/year doing this. All I drive is 65 on a expressway.

Now I want to see how the engine does, any pinging, mpg, etc.

·
Registered
169 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Remember that on the user manual it states: "91 Octane Recommended, 87 Octane Acceptable, 0-15% Ethanol".
If 91 is available in the area, I would use the "recomended", instead of the "Acceptable".

Bruno

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Just sayin' the next 6 cold winter months, my jeep'll be idling in holiday traffic or on cruise control on the highways for work. Sure, premium 91 is best, but there's only 93 around. Don't have to use 93 in the cold for idling or cruising. If it was absolutely required, then absolutely, I'd use the 93, And I could use a 60 cent per gallon break for awhile. That is until spring comes around with some warm temps and clear roads. Then its back to 93 and some real driving.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Or, you could just switch to Regular 87 octane fuel permanently and enjoy the cost-savings year round. Let the discussion resume:

I have enjoyed the 60cent/gal savings.

Interestingly, while on 87 Tier 1 fuel, I had no knock issues. And after a 70k service and oil change, I've jumped from 29.5 to 32.5 mpg per tankful of 87 octane over the two tankfuls since service.

But it is now July 1. The cool rain has stopped and hot 90F muggy weather is here. I resuming the 93 octane diet for the summer. We'll see if 32.5 mpg hold true with 93.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We’ll, still doing 90% expressway driving. After the 70k service, used 2 tanks of 87 and got 32+ mpg. Then switched to 93 and got 1 tank at 29.5mpg and this last tank back to 32.5mpg. Go figure.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Can you please note when the transmission changes up?
(In theory you should need to press the GO pedal a fraction harder with 87)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts