Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd heard everything. My Trailhawk with 4000 miles on the clock was into the dealer yesterday for the replacement of a faulty Tire Pressure Sensor. The worksheet also listed that the tech replaced five "swollen" lugnuts. It didn't cost me anything so I guess I can't complain but I'd never heard of this before.

Has anyone else had trouble getting their lugnuts off because they were "Swollen"?

·
Registered
715 Posts
There are some lug studs out there that have caps. Typical Jeep (dodge) problem. I have the hollow lug studs, but I've seen lots of pics with the capped lug studs.

·
Registered
104 Posts
How can metal "swell"?

·
Super Moderator
3,630 Posts
How can metal "swell"?
Well with an actual lug nut, lets say you over tightened it and rather than split or tear the stud off the car, it stretched. I might call that swollen.

However, given that the dudes over-tightening it usually use an air tool to do so, it almost always ends up just ripping the stud off, which the renegade doesn't have anyway.

Only thing I can think of is that bam-bam #1 at the factory or during PDI tightened the snot out of the stud, and bam-bam #2 performing service turned it up to 11 to get it off, and the result was peening the corners of the lug bolt head and they call it swelling.

Or perhaps it just had the mumps.

Ok, with enough googling, it can be due to junk lug nuts with a fake crhome cap. Rusting causes the cap to swell and it doesn't fit right.

The renegade doesn't come with capped lug bolts. So....

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The dealer did swap out the tires at 1500 miles. I don't know what they did to the lug "bolts" at that time.

We're in the middle of a blizzard here in Michigan so after things settle down I'll go inspect all the bolts and see if I can figure out what's going on. I may also ask the dealer's tech to explain......

·
Registered
104 Posts
Well with an actual lug nut, lets say you over tightened it and rather than split or tear the stud off the car, it stretched. I might call that swollen.

However, given that the dudes over-tightening it usually use an air tool to do so, it almost always ends up just ripping the stud off, which the renegade doesn't have anyway.

Only thing I can think of is that bam-bam #1 at the factory or during PDI tightened the snot out of the stud, and bam-bam #2 performing service turned it up to 11 to get it off, and the result was peening the corners of the lug bolt head and they call it swelling.

Or perhaps it just had the mumps.

Ok, with enough googling, it can be due to junk lug nuts with a fake crhome cap. Rusting causes the cap to swell and it doesn't fit right.

The renegade doesn't come with capped lug bolts. So....
I pretty much knew all that - metal just can't "swell" on it own. I guess I'll have to turn on my sarcasm switch the next time.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Same thing happened to my Focus lugs. The lug is actually a steel nut that is capped with a very thin piece of cosmetic chrome. Salt and water gets under and in between the actual nut and the cap, freezes, thaws and rusts.. this makes that cap get just large enough that no size socket fits it and you need to hammer it the H-E-double hockey sticks on. This really doesn't have anything to do with over tightening.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Same thing happened to my Focus lugs. The lug is actually a steel nut that is capped with a very thin piece of cosmetic chrome. Salt and water gets under and in between the actual nut and the cap, freezes, thaws and rusts.. this makes that cap get just large enough that no size socket fits it and you need to hammer it the H-E-double hockey sticks on. This really doesn't have anything to do with over tightening.
It EVENTUALLY happens to most capped lug nuts. I see it all the time on older fords, some GMs, lots and lots of mopars, my old XJ included. Typically a 19-21mm socket is the norm, just shove a 22-23 on it and it'll work. And then replace all of them

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
My Challenger has these type of lug nuts but have not had any problems with damage of the cosmetic cap (or my previous 2009 Challenger).

But as far as I can tell, my Renegade's lug bolts are not capped in any way.

·
Registered
104 Posts
It still doesn't say that the base material got "larger" only that the overall size got bigger because of contamination. Strip off the cosmetic piece.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just returned from my dealership and free oil change. I attempted to have them rotate my tires at the same time and they told me my lug bolts were swollen as well.

They would not attempt to remove them, and wanted $141 to replace all 20. I grumbled and left.

Never in my life have i heard about swollen lug bolts. I have a 2016 TH and my lugs are capped.

I picked up a set of these today, test fit one. I will rotate the wheel in the morning to ensure I have brake clearance.
Gorilla Automotive 17125SDBC-20 Black 12mm x 1.25 Thread Size Chrome Finish Small Diameter Lug Bolt, (Set of 20)

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SF8EY6A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just got back from Dealer same problem, need to replace wheel bolts. Is anyone making a aftermarket set? No need to replace with the same problem.

There are lots of sets for aftermarket wheels, but I don think the bolt seats are the same angle....can any one shed light on this?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts