Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've just realized that the brake lights do not function with the car completely off. With every car I've ever had before I could press the brake pedal even with the ignition off/no keys and the brake lights would illuminate. Not so with my Renegade TH. Does anyone else think this is kind of weird and possibly dangerous?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I've just realized that the brake lights do not function with the car completely off. With every car I've ever had before I could press the brake pedal even with the ignition off/no keys and the brake lights would illuminate. Not so with my Renegade TH. Does anyone else think this is kind of weird and possibly dangerous?
I don't think any of my cars brake lights ever worked with the ignition off.
A European thing perhaps?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Hm. I think all the cars I've had would light the brake lights with the ignition off. They were mostly Japanese makes.

To specify, the engine doesn't have to actually be running to light the lights, right? It just has to have the key in the ON position? I say that because if you were in a situation where the engine stalled while in motion, and you were in neutral and braking to a stop, you would want the brake lights to work.

I can't see a situation where it would be necessary for the lights to work with the ignition totally off, though.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Not a big deal. If you're on the side of the road and stopped, you SHOULD have hazards on anyway even if you've not broken down.

I've seen far too many idiots stopped on the side of highways for no good reason (to text) with only brake lights on... only to be nearly clobbered by other idiots texting behind the wheel instead of minding the bend in the road.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.