Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've taken apart a lot of the trim/molding in my renegade to install various things and run wiring, but I prefer to have a reference beforehand, so that I dont end up breaking something.

I'm looking to do a 2 channel dash cam install. The second camera is meant to be attached to the tailgate glass.

Can anyone give me a reference as to how to disassemble the tailgate rear window molding? I want to run the wiring for the cam through the existing protective wiring sleeve on the tailgate.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hey guys, I've taken apart a lot of the trim/molding in my renegade to install various things and run wiring, but I prefer to have a reference beforehand, so that I dont end up breaking something.

I'm looking to do a 2 channel dash cam install. The second camera is meant to be attached to the tailgate glass.

Can anyone give me a reference as to how to disassemble the tailgate rear window molding? I want to run the wiring for the cam through the existing protective wiring sleeve on the tailgate.
Thanks in advance.
Remove the tailgate trim first very easy .. then remove 4 screws .. 2 only visible when the trail gate trim is removed ... the other two are the shelf cord holders ..

I have pictures if you want me to post them ... ?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Remove the tailgate trim first very easy .. them remove 4 screws .. 2 only visible when the trail gate trim is removed ... the other two are the shelf cord holders ..

I have pictures if you want me to post them ... ?
Awesome! If you could post the pictures I'd really appreciate it.
Tailgate trim just pops off clips, I'm assuming?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yes all clips but one screw ( tail gate handle ) .. then its using a plastic trim remover and pulling by hand .. some clips might stay in the tailgate .. just remove them and put them back on the trim .. be careful lots of connections on the glass ..

I will post pictures asap .. most trim come off easy on the Reny ... I'm do a thread on the UK forum on review Cam fitting ( wireless )

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tailgate trim removal .. remove screw in handle

Pull off Trim

Window trim removal .. remove 2 screws

Remove 2 screws for rear shelf cord ..
Thank you so much for the pics and the write up!
So the trim comes off in two pieces, the tailgate trim and the window trim?

Do you have a pic zoomed out a bit of the location of the "rear shelf cord" screws? I dont have the rear shelf (tonneau cover) on my renegade.

Thanks.

·
Registered
112 Posts

Do you have a pic zoomed out a bit of the location of the "rear shelf cord" screws? I dont have the rear shelf (tonneau cover) on my renegade.

Thanks.
Already posted the screw pic .. it's towards the top of the rear window trim..

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Thanks.
Is this one better ?
Much better thank you. I don't seem to have those.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Ok ..so take the bottom trim off first as told .. then two screws as pictures .. all held on with trim clips and they all come off very easy..

Is you trim in 2 parts or one .. can't tell from the picture .. my trims are UK so yours could be different .. ??

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok ..so take the bottom trim off first as told .. then two screws as pictures .. all held on with trim clips and they all come off very easy..

Is you trim in 2 parts or one .. can't tell from the picture .. my trims are UK so yours could be different .. ??
My trim comes apart in two pieces it appears. One for the tailgate and one window trim. The handle screw is there, just not the two side screws to connect the shelf cord. Should have my dashcam in a week (massdrop is slow) and then I'll give it a shot.

Awesome posts and I appreciate all the information you've provided. I'll be following your rear camera thread.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My trim comes apart in two pieces it appears. One for the tailgate and one window trim. The handle screw is there, just not the two side screws to connect the shelf cord. Should have my dashcam in a week (massdrop is slow) and then I'll give it a shot.

Awesome posts and I appreciate all the information you've provided. I'll be following your rear camera thread.
The bottom trim comes off easy .. I used a trim tool to start it off and then give it a good pull and it gets easier .. some clips might stay in the lid .. I used a trim clip remover and then placed them back onto the trim .. removal tools are available on Amazon .. you really need to use them so no damage is done to the trims ..

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The bottom trim comes off easy .. I used a trim tool to start it off and then give it a good pull and it gets easier .. some clips might stay in the lid .. I used a trim clip remover and then placed them back onto the trim .. removal tools are available on Amazon .. you really need to use them so no damage is done to the trims ..
Absolutely, I've already got the trim tools. I've taken apart much of the trim and doors already. Just was sketchy about the tailgate because I hadnt seen anyone else do it yet. :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks @Badger, I was able to remove the trim on my tailgate and get my rear camera installed without issue. (Well with a very slight issue, I wasnt able to get the middle clip on the upper trim to line up and clip in, but its not noticeable.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey @savante21 I am looking to do this same thing (thinkware f770) to my new Ren hopefully this weekend (if I get the camera in time), did you happen to do any step by step pics? Need to do a hardwire front and rear and would love guidance :)
Unfortunately the only pictures I seem to have are the ones I posted here.
Badgers direction and images are really what got me through this stuff.
Disassembly wasnt bad.

I can definitely try to answer some questions for guidance.

A few recommendations :
-Lubrication helps tremendously when removing the wiring grommet/sleeve to run the wire bundle through from the headliner to the tailgate glass.
-Having a flexible but somewhat rigid "wire" to fish the wires around the headliner/grommet areas is definitely helpful. Make sure its not sharp or it could do some damage to the rubber grommets/headliner.
- No other way to say it, putting the trim back on sucks and takes patience. I was never able to get one of the clips to snap back into place in the center below the glass. Also, have some spare clips as there is potential to break them when disassembling.

Wiring isnt too bad depending on where you decide to power it from.
I tapped an "always on" 12V open fuse connection in the rear cargo access panel and ran that into a relay.
I tapped off the rear cargo 12V accessory plug and fed that into the trigger of the relay.
From the relay I ran wire to the front, inside dash and installed a dual outlet 12V DC socket.
That oulet is where the dashcam and my gps are hard wired for power.
The coaxial cable for the rear camera was just tucked inside the headliner along the door trim to the front.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.