Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

So call me crazy, but I have been eying Rene Trailhawk's (RTH) since they came out. I currently drive a loaded 14' Grand Cherokee Overland V8, and besides the all around savings (fuel, maintenance, etc) I actually find the RTH pretty darn cool!

I bit the bullet and stopped by my dealership tonight and test drove a 15' RTH and I will say, I was pleasantly surprised. It was peppy, had a great amount of interior space, and the overall package was well put together. Minus all the cheesy "look I am an Italian Jeep" easter eggs.

There is absolutely no comparing a vehicle that costs half of what I am currently driving, but the sales guy sure tried to. I kept trying to explain to him that I over the whole premium SUV thing. I am a young professional, so I am looking for something respectful if I need to take a client around town, and being in the midwest I just wanted something that could hold it own in the winter time on country roads and job sites.

So at the dealership we went over the order website and I am looking at a fully loaded RTH landing some time early next year for around 30k. With the equity in my JGC and the fact that the trade-in will offset the purchase, so I will not even have to pay any tax. Its all around a good deal for me, I stand to save a great deal of money.

I have been lurking around the forums, watching youtube videos, and my dealership has even offered me a full day test drive. I'd like to hear from those that drove something in a completely different class, day to day life with the RTH, and the annoyances I won't see until down the line.

All feedback welcome... Thanks!

~Jb

·
Registered
113 Posts
If you feel you made a mistake with your current ride and you would be happier with a Renegade then go ahead. But you would probably end up with effectively the most expensive Renegade on the forum.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Don't buy it for carrying around more than 1 person. Unless your rear seat passengers don't mind tight leg room. I have yet to carry anything more than tires in the trunk area. But coming from a Grand Cherokee to this, it's a drastic cargo loss. Not why I bought it tho. I love jeeps, and I wanted better mileage. 4x4 is obvious, but I didn't want a Rubicon JK. Too much $. But (almost) fully loaded feels terrific. This is my 1st with all options, but I can't stop grinning while driving it. Can't drive it slow to save my life, and the 22mpg hill I have yet to crest (as an average) but so much cheaper to fill up!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I think that will be mine.
What I meant is that the OP will effectively end up with a Renegade for the price of a high end Grand Cherokee. I wouldn't do it, even though I love my Renny.

To the OP: it's human nature to value what you don't have more than what you do have. Before making the move, make sure it's what you really want instead of what you think you want.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yes you win. Mine is only 43000 euros:)
!!!! :eek:

That's twice what I'll be paying. That's nuts. Funny how Americans complain about taxes so much.

·
Registered
378 Posts
A Grand Cherokee is a different class of vehicle than a Renegade and it costs twice as much. If you are going to trade in a Grand Cherokee for a Renegade you have some issues. Think long and hard about why you want to do this.

·
Registered
2015 Trailhawk
404 Posts
I drove a 1996 Honda Civic before buying my TH. I had previously owned a Jeep Wrangler, and wanted to get back into something that would help me get through deep snow. I could not be happier with my TH so far, and look forward to putting it to the test this winter.

Reactions: syzygy

·
Registered
221 Posts
I personally traded a Honda Pilot touring fully loaded for my limited renegade. Haven't regretted once. I was looking for something smaller and fun. That's what I got. That being said one of my pet peeves is when someone wants people to talk them into something. I volunteer at a tech site and people all the time want me to talk them into an iPhone. Bottom line- it's a great vehicle. If you like it then pull the trigger. If you are looking to be talked into it then you're not ready.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I enjoy my jeep, it's a daily driver for work and I did not buy it as a people mover.
If you think you will miss the space stick to your current auto!, I like the fuel economy.
My old auto was a 1995 F150 with over 200000 and a 2001 Cadaliac Devil with 135000.
Unless I need to carry a loasd or move people I don't miss them! Take it for a extended spin before you make up your mind, I drove my Renegade at least 3 times before I purchased it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
A Grand Cherokee is a different class of vehicle than a Renegade and it costs twice as much. If you are going to trade in a Grand Cherokee for a Renegade you have some issues. Think long and hard about why you want to do this.
I have to say I'm driving a luxury vehicle in a completely different class to the Renegade. Luxury vehicles, though, come with a whole bunch of "problems" you don't have in a "non-luxury" vehicle.

I came from a Jeep Wrangler to a high end, brand new Alfa Romeo. Suddenly I'm worrying about where I'm parking, I'm worrying about scratches, I'm worrying about mess in the car, I can't have my dogs in it, and so on. The Wrangler, while I took good care of it, the dogs could go in it, I didn't really think about where I parked it, and I considered any minor scratches etc "battle scars".

At one point we also drove a Grand Cherokee. Great car, but they're lacking personality. Cars are just so very personal, and if you don't absolutely love what you drive, it doesn't matter what class it is. As a car person, if you don't get in your car and love it, then what's the point?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.