Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm going to test drive a petrol 1.4 Multiair Longitude tomorrow locally. I was due to get a brand new 1.6 diesel Longitude however I found a 'nearly new' one that I've put a refundable deposit down on pending the test drive tomorrow.

My only worry is that the 1.4 won't have enough power. I guess I'll only know tomorrow after the test drive. Has anyone got a 1.4 Multiair petrol themselves or driven one and can give me advice on their experience?

Also, what does the 'Multiair' actually mean?

Thanks,
Liam

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi Mase - how did you find the 1.4 ?

I only tested the diesels - 1.6 Fwd and 2.0 4wd - and found the 1.6 easily handled the size - the 2.0 was no faster (to my untrained eye) but was thirstier - so I went for the smaller engine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Mase - how did you find the 1.4 ?

I only tested the diesels - 1.6 Fwd and 2.0 4wd - and found the 1.6 easily handled the size - the 2.0 was no faster (to my untrained eye) but was thirstier - so I went for the smaller engine.
Hi Julian. It was fine to be fair. The guy explained the MultiAir system to me - most of it was over my head but I got the jist of what he meant.
I googled the engine before I went and saw it had won awards so wasn't too worried. He said that it's pretty much got the same power as 2.0 diesel, not sure how honest he was being but it was fine.
Excited to pick it up!

·
Registered
52 Posts
We've got the 1.4, seems to have enough power, we came from a 1.8 150hp Toyota, ours is connected to the DCCT auto, so you do get a little lag when hitting the throttle, how much of that is the gearbox and how much is the turbo its hard to say, but its certainly no where near the lag you used to get a few years ago with turbo cars. Fuel economy wise we seem to get about 30mpg with normal commute and 40's is easy on a run.

·
Registered
153 Posts
My Renegade is being delivered tomorrow :)

I have a couple of long drives planned for the first week, looking forward to see how it goes!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have 1.4 MultiAir Opening Edition got it last March, they are great engines and really quiet quick, last July I drove from Bristol to Glentress in Scotland with my mate both or mountain bikes on the back rack and a boot full up averaged 32.6MPG.

One word of warning do not put any other oil in to top up the engine, than the one supplied by the dealer even if it is the same grade, if you read up on the failures on the multiair engines it is linked to not using the right oil and blows up the multiair unit.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have 1.4 MultiAir Opening Edition got it last March, they are great engines and really quiet quick, last July I drove from Bristol to Glentress in Scotland with my mate both or mountain bikes on the back rack and a boot full up averaged 32.6MPG.

One word of warning do not put any other oil in to top up the engine, than the one supplied by the dealer even if it is the same grade, if you read up on the failures on the multiair engines it is linked to not using the right oil and blows up the multiair unit.

That's very good to know, do you know what oil the dealer uses?, and is the engine known for using oil? Our last car (Toyota) didn't seem to use any oil, so I've gotten into the habit of not checking. Years ago (15) I was chatting to a pug mechanic and they had a car at the time that could burn more oil than max to off the dipstick between services and as people often don't check the dipstick on new cars they were getting engine failures caused by low oil levels.

That seems quite low mpg on a run, were you driving quite 'spirited', often on a run we've got a full boot and get into the 40's, last decent run we did with a top box on, although as we'd borrowed a set of 'universal' bars that I had zero confidence in I did drive fairly sedately, only just hitting m'way speed limits (indicated). That's on a 1.4 multiair with the auto box.

·
Registered
105 Posts
That's very good to know, do you know what oil the dealer uses?, and is the engine known for using oil? Our last car (Toyota) didn't seem to use any oil, so I've gotten into the habit of not checking. Years ago (15) I was chatting to a pug mechanic and they had a car at the time that could burn more oil than max to off the dipstick between services and as people often don't check the dipstick on new cars they were getting engine failures caused by low oil levels.

That seems quite low mpg on a run, were you driving quite 'spirited', often on a run we've got a full boot and get into the 40's, last decent run we did with a top box on, although as we'd borrowed a set of 'universal' bars that I had zero confidence in I did drive fairly sedately, only just hitting m'way speed limits (indicated). That's on a 1.4 multiair with the auto box.
The 1.4MA is not known to use oil, my Renegade has done 5000 miles & the oil level is still on the MAX. mark. My Giuiletta has the same engine but the 170 version & it did not use any oil between services.

There has been at least 3 versions of MA unit over the years, I had it fail on my 2010 Giulietta, you get a very lumpy tickover. Above 1000 rpm at ran fine. The car won't breakdown or do any permanent damage.

The MA can return good fuel consumption, my best so far is 44.7mpg. 20 mile daily commute down country raods is 37-38mpg. With this current cold weather it's dropped down to 34mpg.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I picked it up this morning and from the drive home from Oldham to Wigan I absolutely love it!! The 1.4 MultiAir has enough 'go' for me. I was driving a Cooper S before so was worried that the change from a nippy car like that would take some getting used to but it's fine.

Love all the features inside it as well :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
The 1.4MA is not known to use oil, my Renegade has done 5000 miles & the oil level is still on the MAX. mark. My Giuiletta has the same engine but the 170 version & it did not use any oil between services.

There has been at least 3 versions of MA unit over the years, I had it fail on my 2010 Giulietta, you get a very lumpy tickover. Above 1000 rpm at ran fine. The car won't breakdown or do any permanent damage.

The MA can return good fuel consumption, my best so far is 44.7mpg. 20 mile daily commute down country raods is 37-38mpg. With this current cold weather it's dropped down to 34mpg.
The fuel economy of the Multi Air engine seems much worse than the 2.0l Diesel. I have done nearly 4,000 miles in mine now & average 46.9mpg, on long runs I manage over 50mpg.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.