Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I had the opportunity to test drive a Latitude in Red at Arrigo Sawgrass in South Florida. Exactly the one I want, except missing Mysky (The waiting game starts)

When driving it, I felt the engine vibration was a bit harsh when in gear and foot on the brake. (Like at a light, or stop sign)

I noticed the same thing driving a sport a while back.

Currently I have a 2008 Scion XB with 80k miles, and the I felt the Renegade's vibration at idle was more than the XB!

Has anyone noticed that? Interested to hear your thoughts.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Haven't noticed the vibration too much

I haven't noticed the vibration issue you mention. I put about 600 miles on the trailhawk so far, and no vibration yet. I do notice the brakes are super sensitive though. Mostly when slowing and the engine is downshifting.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi all,

I had the opportunity to test drive a Latitude in Red at Arrigo Sawgrass in South Florida. Exactly the one I want, except missing Mysky (The waiting game starts)

When driving it, I felt the engine vibration was a bit harsh when in gear and foot on the brake. (Like at a light, or stop sign)

I noticed the same thing driving a sport a while back.

Currently I have a 2008 Scion XB with 80k miles, and the I felt the Renegade's vibration at idle was more than the XB!

Has anyone noticed that? Interested to hear your thoughts.

My Patriot developed the exact same symptoms but starting at around 80.000KM (50.000 Miles)

Dealer said it is a 4 Cyl thing but did not agree with him though...

Story short, small vibration might have been there in my patriot but got much more noticeable with age (i.e: after 4 years)...

·
Registered
42 Posts
In almost any review of that 2.4 engine in other FCA vehicles (assuming you drove the 2.4), it's described as a thrashy, crude, noisy engine. Not your most polished bit of engine engineering.

That's from professional reviewers, not me. On my test drive the engine seemed smooth enough for government work.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes, I have seen this issue many times. There is an excellent explanation as well. Break in period. If you drive a Renegade with under 30 or so miles (seems to be the sweet spot) that hasn't been warmed up and driven hard then it will vibrate like a paint shaker. I have test driven many of them that have almost suddenly smoothed out to a very smooth idle (for this 2.4L engine) They are a fairly rough running engine to begin with however if broken in properly (sorry folks not the old 500-2000 miles) they will vibrate. By about 50-60 miles these engine should be completely broken in and running as smooth as they are going to.

Hope this helps. :D

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
The 2.4L engine really smooths out as you approach 2,000 rpm. By 3,000 rpm it starts to get into its power band. Nice little engine for what it is.

For me to be satisfied with the little 2.4L four cylinder engine is something since I'm used to my other car that has a 6.4L, 485 hp eight cylinder engine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I have seen this issue many times. There is an excellent explanation as well. Break in period. If you drive a Renegade with under 30 or so miles (seems to be the sweet spot) that hasn't been warmed up and driven hard then it will vibrate like a paint shaker. I have test driven many of them that have almost suddenly smoothed out to a very smooth idle (for this 2.4L engine) They are a fairly rough running engine to begin with however if broken in properly (sorry folks not the old 500-2000 miles) they will vibrate. By about 50-60 miles these engine should be completely broken in and running as smooth as they are going to.

Hope this helps. :D
Interesting input. The one I drove had 30 miles on it, so that could be it. I just found it odd it was more harsh than my old box lol.

I wonder if the vibration at idle would get more harsh as the miles start to add up. I'm a little OCD when it comes to cars, but doubt it would be unbearable in my case.

Anywho, now I'm just waiting for MySky to make it down to Sunny South Florida! Dealer said about 2 months, but elsewhere is estimated much more than that. Time for the waiting game now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too have the vibration at idle in drive with the brake on at a stop light (2.4 engine/9 speed transmission). Mine is sensitive to ambient temp. At 85 degrees or less, the idle is smooth. As the ambient temp goes up the vibration and noise develops. At 95 degrees it is very annoying - not only does it vibrate, but it emits a coarse groaning noise as well. Overall, I like the car, but there is no reason for a new car with supposedly new technology to have this problem. I'm wondering if the hill assist system might create or make the problem worse. Think Jeep/Chrysler will do anything to solve the problem??

Harlan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.