Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Been lurking on this forum for the past few weeks doing research on the Renegade. Today I finally test drove a 2015 Trailhawk as well as the other car I am considering the Hyundai Tucson.

My heart says that I like the Renegade but my mind says that the Tucson is more practical and refined. There were two major issues I had with the Renegade: The limited interior space for kids and trunk room. And the feel of some of the interior. The center console seemed pretty flimsy, the coating on the inside door handle was peeling off, and the trunk speaker grills were barely held on. They wiggled back and forth easy. Just overall, the fit and finish seemed on the so-so side.

So just wanted to know how everyone's interior was holding up. I really like the Renegade, but there are a few things I was not happy about. Add to that the low ratings it is getting from the consumer testing magazines, and post on here. Everything tells me to pass and get the Tucson, but I really like the Renegade.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
You asked, so I will answer. My Trailhawk has been a great vehicle so far. I've owned it since early April and have about 4,500 miles on it.

I like the smallish size and the interior is excellent. I have the cloth seats (don't like leather at all). I can't think of anything that I don't like about the Renegade.

And the looks of the Renegade are head and shoulders above anything else out there. It looks like no other small SUV and certainly looks like a Jeep.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My Anvil Trailhawk arrived about two weeks ago and it has 1700 miles on it (I commute 100 miles everyday for work). I absolutely love it! The interior on mine has held up great so far! I also do not see it wearing out any time soon. One thing I would like to mention is that I opted to keep the cloth seats. To me, they are a more rugged cloth, and leather over time, cracks and becomes worn. In my renegade, I have the cold weather package, upgraded sound system, navigation, and tow hitch receiver. Additionally, I would compare the motor in both vehicles. The 2.4 L 4 cylinder in the renegade can be a little slow when merging onto highways. I used to have an in-line 6 in my old jeep cherokee, and that thing was awesome! Anyways, in regards to your interior questions, I have not found it to be flimsy; however, I can see it being smaller than what you are looking for. I hope this helps! Feel free to ask anything else!

·
Registered
113 Posts
One thing I am very pleased with in my Renegade is that the fit and finish are impeccable, both inside and outside, especially for what is a very reasonably priced vehicle. Maybe there is sample variation and you were looking at a bad one.

I like that the exterior dimensions are compact but the boxy shape maximizes interior space. If you need more space then you have to get a larger vehicle. Obviously there is no way around that.

·
Super Moderator
4,680 Posts
We have just over 3,000 miles on it and my wife and I both enjoy driving it. We have had blazers, tahoe and S10 crew cab trucks the 4x4 system is great plus it has more shoulder room than my JKU. We think the fit and finish is great.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I love my Renegade TH as well. Only 500 on it so far, but everything seems great.
Depends what you want to do with your vehicle as well, If your looking for a real 4WD for the snow or getting back on some dirt trails, they do not compare, but if your talking just a simple FWD, then they become comparable.

Hopefully the redesigned 2016s Tucson's are better then the older.
I have a family member who has a 2014 Tucson, that can not wait to get out of their lease..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the feedback everyone.

My wife, son and I just went and test drove a fully loaded Limited. It was very nice and we even tested out the storage capacity. Not sure if the first Renegade I drove was a one off or not, but the second test drive swayed me. We shall see, but very possible I will be driving a new Renegade by next weekend :)

Thanks again!

·
Registered
113 Posts
My wife, son and I just went and test drove a fully loaded Limited. It was very nice and we even tested out the storage capacity. Not sure if the first Renegade I drove was a one off or not, but the second test drive swayed me. We shall see, but very possible I will be driving a new Renegade by next weekend :)
Go on ... go on ... you know you want one ;)

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
over 4k on mine, and none of the painted/coated interior surfaces are showing any signs of wear. Fit and finish on everything is good, I wouldn't describe anything as flimsy except the detent on the movable center arm rest.

The only thing that is an issues with the interior is that the black plastic scuffs easily. This is true on pretty much every vehicle I have run into with black plastic interiors. Hitting them up with a protectectant early on seems to help reduce them as it covers them up a bit, but more important, whatever they use to be a "dust repellent" reduces friction making it harder to scuff.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The silver paint or coating on my shift knob seems to be flaking off in a tiny spot. Only thing I have noticed and I didn't even see it until riding in the passenger side with my wife driving. 2k miles. Month of ownership. If the dealer won't replace I'll just paint/plasti dip it or something. Not a huge deal. Could even be from my wife's ring to be quite honest.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Interior

I love the interior of my Trailhawk. I was tentative because of the 'reddish' highlights, but they actually really grew on me. As of today, I have roughly 6,400 miles on mine and still smirk every time I get in it. As for the Tuson....eh. My aunt has a 2015 and I'm not too impressed. Seems bland in comparison. But, to each their own! Personally, I would ask the kids which one they would like to drive when they turn 16.

·
Registered
120 Posts
over 4k on mine, and none of the painted/coated interior surfaces are showing any signs of wear. Fit and finish on everything is good, I wouldn't describe anything as flimsy except the detent on the movable center arm rest.

The only thing that is an issues with the interior is that the black plastic scuffs easily. This is true on pretty much every vehicle I have run into with black plastic interiors. Hitting them up with a protectectant early on seems to help reduce them as it covers them up a bit, but more important, whatever they use to be a "dust repellent" reduces friction making it harder to scuff.
Any particular brand you can recommend for the dash and interior door sides?

·
Registered
2015 Trailhawk
404 Posts
Recently surpassed the 10,000 mile mark on my Trailhawk, and the interior (and everything else about the vehicle) is in great shape.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I recommend 303 Aerospace Protectant for dashboards. Not only does it repel dust and grime, it also blocks UV light and prevents plastic from drying out an cracking prematurely. And since it makes surfaces a little slippery, scuff marks do not happen as easily.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I understand your apprehensions. There are few areas where i think trim and fittings could be improved or tighter and when you read some of the posts on this forum highlighting issues, minor and major, it is natural to be cautious. But have a look on rival manuacturers forums, if you can find them. They might contain similar percentages of positive v's negative feedback as this forum but nowhere near the overall volume of each and for me that is a key point. The "survey" is more comprehensive and more importantly it shows the jeep family owner pool are passionate enough to care and to share their experiences. I took the plunge with my Renegade and have not been dissapointed. Mechanically and bodily it feels a solid, robust little jeep and i dont let a few trivial opinions about trim spoil that view.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.