Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm no longer a Renegade virgin. After a full year of waiting, I finally test drove two this week--Latitude and a Limited. What both test drives confirmed for me...I will wait for a Trailhawk, I want leather seats, the upgraded 6.5 screen, the upgraded sound...and living in Utah...the Cold Weather package. Oh...and holding out for the ever allusive Omaha Orange.

So my question is this...I know some of you went ahead and paid to have a glass sunroof added. How's that worked out for you? Satisfied? Leaks? What's the overall consensus of those of y'all who have experience with non factory sunroofs?

I really would rather have a glass sunroof than MySky. After the test drives, I feel like I really want more light in the cabin on a consistent basis, and NOT have to actually retract MySky. Someone else on here mentioned that, as well. But, I forgot who. But..I agree with that assessment.

Being that Orange is already hard to get, I'm predicting actually getting one in a Trailhawk AND a MySky even harder. So..wise to just put a sunroof in? The salesman had me speak to their "sunroof expert." The expert had full faith in theirs. In fact, he even just put one in his wife's car. Lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm no longer a Renegade virgin. After a full year of waiting, I finally test drove two this week--Latitude and a Limited. What both test drives confirmed for me...I will wait for a Trailhawk, I want leather seats, the upgraded 6.5 screen, the upgraded sound...and living in Utah...the Cold Weather package. Oh...and holding out for the ever allusive Omaha Orange.

So my question is this...I know some of you went ahead and paid to have a glass sunroof added. How's that worked out for you? Satisfied? Leaks? What's the overall consensus of those of y'all who have experience with non factory sunroofs?

I really would rather have a glass sunroof than MySky. After the test drives, I feel like I really want more light in the cabin on a consistent basis, and NOT have to actually retract MySky. Someone else on here mentioned that, as well. But, I forgot who. But..I agree with that assessment.

Being that Orange is already hard to get, I'm predicting actually getting one in a Trailhawk AND a MySky even harder. So..wise to just put a sunroof in? The salesman had me speak to their "sunroof expert." The expert had full faith in theirs. In fact, he even just put one in his wife's car. Lifetime warranty.
You should see Renegade with Bark Brown interior. It is much lighter inside without sunroof.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I never liked a sun roof in any car. My Trailhawk has the black cloth seats (I don't like leather) but the ceiling and A-pillars are white. That makes it bright and roomy feeling inside.

My suggestion would be to get a sun roof if you really want one, not just get one to brighten the interior.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually...that's just it...I REALLY do want a sunroof. I should have explained that better in my OP. I'll go edit that.

I have even contemplated waiting till the 2016's to see if MAYBE they bring the sunroof's to the States.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ooopss...it's past my 10 minute window to edit. So...

The MAIN purpose of my original post was to ask the members, who went ahead and got sunroofs installed on their Rennies, how it went and if they're happy.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Once the Fiat 500X comes out, wait a few weeks and speak to your local Fiat dealer's parts dept
about installing the glass panels on your Renegade. They are more or less the same car there for all you're really doing to swapping out the black inserts for the glass ones.
I don't think it will be that simple. The cars are closely related but the body styles are going to be different. Plus a panoramic sunroof is different than the My Sky set up

·
Registered
70 Posts
Lower ceiling

Having test driven two Renegades with the panoramic sunroof in the UK, my only advice would be to think carefully. It lowers the ceiling height by at least an inch, perhaps two and actually made the car feel much more claustrophobic that Renegades without it.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Once the Fiat 500X comes out, wait a few weeks and speak to your local Fiat dealer's parts dept
about installing the glass panels on your Renegade. They are more or less the same car there for all you're really doing to swapping out the black inserts for the glass ones.
It is highly unlikely that exterior parts will be interchangeable between the 500X and the Renegade. The two cars are based on the same platform, but the rest of the cars are distinct enough from each other to share parts.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
The Renegade European glass sunroof and the 500X glass sunroof are completely different.

Different Size
Different Shape
Different Slope Angle

And they are also completely different from the MySky panels.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Having test driven two Renegades with the panoramic sunroof in the UK, my only advice would be to think carefully. It lowers the ceiling height by at least an inch, perhaps two and actually made the car feel much more claustrophobic that Renegades without it.
What if I just went with a typical sunroof over just the driver and front passenger seats, and not go with panoramic? I have that in my current Rav 4, which isn't as roomy as the Renegade is headroom wise, and it works great.

At FIRST I thought panoramic would be great, but I'll take your advice on that. So, THANK you :laugh: Also...on Saturday, I talked about the sunroof option with the salesman I've been working with, and he DID mention the "panoramic option," but said it would cost a lot more money. So...yay.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Installing a sunroof that isn't factory is not something I'd do, personally; to each his own however.

A sunroof that isn't simply a non-adjustable piece of glass on the roof is going to cut into headroom a bit because of the motors etc; and, depending on who does it, it can leak or rust, and potentially look like absolute crap if you go to the wrong installer. There's a bit of risk involved in cutting a hole in your roof that wasn't meant to be there from the factory.

That said, having never done it, I won't risk it, I'd go with mySky & then maybe have the glass added under it or something, if possible.

·
Registered
194 Posts
What if I just went with a typical sunroof over just the driver and front passenger seats, and not go with panoramic? I have that in my current Rav 4, which isn't as roomy as the Renegade is headroom wise, and it works great.

At FIRST I thought panoramic would be great, but I'll take your advice on that. So, THANK you :laugh: Also...on Saturday, I talked about the sunroof option with the salesman I've been working with, and he DID mention the "panoramic option," but said it would cost a lot more money. So...yay.
Panoramic roof as well worth it if you want to have more of an open feel going with the ability to let more natural day light in.

Plus if you live in the city, driving around at night and looking up, and getting that sort of experience is kind of cool.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.