Jeep Renegade Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In light of the Renegades big North American reveal tomorrow (April 16th) here are the top 5 things of interest about the 2015 Jeep Renegade...

1. Easter Eggs

Because the Renegade is the first Jeep tailored to the global market the design team packed the interior and exterior with little Jeep easter eggs. They range from Willys Silhouettes, to 7 bar slat grills too topographical maps.

2. Renegade was birthed by a FIAT 500L, Therefore it will launch in Europe First

In an interesting twist of fate, the newest Jeep has its roots in the FIAT 500L, the platform was substantially reworked to make it offroad and 4x4 viable. Because of this relationship the Renegade will actually launch in Europe before it makes its way to North America. A First for the Jeep Brand

3. MY Sky Roof System

The idea behind the MY Sky System was the Wranglers removable top. My Sky will be available in manual and powered options, Tiles can be stored in the cargo hold.

4. Built at FIAT's SATA plant in Melfi, Italy

Making use of FIAT's excess capacity the Renegade and FIAT 500X will both be manufactured in Melfi, Italy alongside the FIAT and Abarth Punto's.

5. 16 Different Powertrain Combinations

The Renegade will offer the widest scope of powertrain configurations of all the current Jeep models. There are 4 MultiAir Petrol engines, Two MultiJet Diesel offers and an ETorq Stop/Start engine intended for developing markets. This goes along with an optional 9 speed automatic, a 6 speed DCT, a 6 speed manual or a 5 speed manual.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Garbage!

This is a SAD day! Wow!, lets build a car that resembles a jeep but has no jeep lineage whatsoever. We will use a platform that does not sell at all in the U.S. and is a big piece of garbage to begin with. why just why? I am not the smartest person in the world but If you needed someone to come up with this piece of garbage I could have done it way cheaper than who ever you paid a ton of money to create this monstrosity!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I registered to counter the above post...

This is actually a very exciting vehicle for jeep, It extends their market share, it extends their global reach, it extends their portfolio.

as far as a platform that doesn't sell, The patriot/compass, Grand cherokee, and cherokee are all on full independent suspensions. all of which sell well, all of which make jeep a lot of money.

your ignorance is mind boggling. This vehicle is jeep in every sense of the name, and I hope it does exceedingly well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Embarassment

The earlier commenter was correct. I don't thing "aroundincircles" has ever even seen any of the earlier vehicles that made up the Jeep Lineage. The 2014 Cherokee was an embarrassment to the name, and this latest Renegade is another disgrace.

They may sell well in global markets, and probably will have marginally successful sales in the US. However, they will not have the enduring popularity and customer loyalty that has driven the Jeep name for now 70 years.

To even suggest that this is a "Jeep in every sense of the name" shows a level of ignorance that is almost impossible to fathom.

I registered to counter the above post...

This is actually a very exciting vehicle for jeep, It extends their market share, it extends their global reach, it extends their portfolio.

as far as a platform that doesn't sell, The patriot/compass, Grand cherokee, and cherokee are all on full independent suspensions. all of which sell well, all of which make jeep a lot of money.

your ignorance is mind boggling. This vehicle is jeep in every sense of the name, and I hope it does exceedingly well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Of the five points in the article linked above. The even numbered items are a detriment to the vehicle.

#1 and #3 are pretty cool. But the 16 different power train options are of questionable value.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I like the whole 16 configurations idea they put into it, great way to really make it reach out to the masses as it will help to get the renegade tailored to a lot of peoples liking

·
Registered
465 Posts
the Cherokee seems to sell very well

And i believe the Renegade will likely sell better than all the other jeeps and you will be seeing them everywhere

I don't see how this is a disgrace to Jeep
It seems like a capable car to me

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Of the five points in the article linked above. The even numbered items are a detriment to the vehicle.

#1 and #3 are pretty cool. But the 16 different power train options are of questionable value.
How is offering 16 powertrains a questionable value? Would you rather a narrow scale alienating more than half of the Renegades proposed markets? Trucks like Renegade prop up the entire brand on volume alone.

My only issue is that Jeep is not offering all 16 combinations across all its markets. I'd be so game for a MultiJet Diesel, 6MT, TH trim...

the 16 combos are a page ripped right out of the Original Mustangs playbook..

The Mustang also pioneered individual customization, with buyers having a choice of a coupe, fastback (the "Fastback 2+2" Mustang was not available at launch, but was first manufactured on August 17, 1964) or convertible, with six-cylinder or V8 engines, and manual or automatic transmissions. There was a wide range of colors and trim details available too. As a matter of fact, an early advertising tagline was “Mustang is the car designed to be designed by you.”
Those options are what pull people in, it allows them to feel like they are expressing an image. That is the only way to sell anything to anyone now a days, and yes that includes the traditionalists as well ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
girlie man Jeep

Offering different power train options is not the problem. Its the crap that they are offering. This in no way compares to the classic engine offerings in a legend like the mustang. Similar marketing strategy... yes. If marketing strategies are what get you excited about cars... please tear up your drivers license and take the bus.

The motors they are offering are nothing to get excited about. Multi-fuel gas engines and a diesel engine okay, but green-friendly add-ons not so much. Again... if that gets you excited take the bus.

Nine speed auto? Are you kidding me? Don't even get me started on the logic of that. A five and six speed manual... okay I'm interested if they put them in a different vehicle. This isn't even a 4WD drive vehicle. Its a front-wheel-drive mini-van with upgraded suspension and rear wheel assist. The 4WD "systems" are pretty well dumb downed for the "I don't what 4WD is and it scares me" crowd. I'm sure its a good fit for effeminate Barbie Jeep mall crawlers that want to pretend that they are real men on the weekends. Again... man up or take the bus!

How is offering 16 powertrains a questionable value? Would you rather a narrow scale alienating more than half of the Renegades proposed markets? Trucks like Renegade prop up the entire brand on volume alone.

My only issue is that Jeep is not offering all 16 combinations across all its markets. I'd be so game for a MultiJet Diesel, 6MT, TH trim...

the 16 combos are a page ripped right out of the Original Mustangs playbook..

Those options are what pull people in, it allows them to feel like they are expressing an image. That is the only way to sell anything to anyone now a days, and yes that includes the traditionalists as well ;)

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Offering different power train options is not the problem. Its the crap that they are offering. This in no way compares to the classic engine offerings in a legend like the mustang. Similar marketing strategy... yes. If marketing strategies are what get you excited about cars... please tear up your drivers license and take the bus.

The motors they are offering are nothing to get excited about. Multi-fuel gas engines and a diesel engine okay, but green-friendly add-ons not so much. Again... if that gets you excited take the bus.

Nine speed auto? Are you kidding me? Don't even get me started on the logic of that. A five and six speed manual... okay I'm interested if they put them in a different vehicle. This isn't even a 4WD drive vehicle. Its a front-wheel-drive mini-van with upgraded suspension and rear wheel assist. The 4WD "systems" are pretty well dumb downed for the "I don't what 4WD is and it scares me" crowd. I'm sure its a good fit for effeminate Barbie Jeep mall crawlers that want to pretend that they are real men on the weekends. Again... man up or take the bus!

Ah now it all makes sense, if you need a Jeep to make you feel manly well then we're into a whole host of new psychological image issues that really cannot be dealt with over an internet forum. We get it you're about the Jeep image, enough said.

I'm in advertising so naturally the strategy is intriguing. The age old saying is if you're seeing it, its for you. You're seeing it, it must be for you... Put your E-penis away and go back to hanging iron balls off the back of your pickup...

·
Registered
49 Posts
This thread makes me laugh.
At least we know we have some hardcore Jeep folks lurking around.

I think we have covered this in other threads, but I will repeat for clarity....
Is this a Jeep engineered vehicle...yes
Will anyone interested in anything more than light trail riding buy...NO
Does it dilute the Jeep history of hardcore offroad capability....maybe..but..

For as long as Jeep has been releasing new vehicles they have been diluting it if you ask owners of the previous generation. Sway control!?? No V-8 option?! Why bother? Independent rear...station wagon! This is no different. The market voted with it's pocketbooks and Jeep reacted. This maybe a "mall cruiser" but 95% of all Jeeps, including Wrangler, do little more that that.

The fact is that Jeep had no offering in the B-segment and that is where the money is. Small, efficient, inexpensive. So Jeep took that formula and added a little Jeep-ness to it. Not too much, because this B-segment market is not at all off road hungry, but just enough. Then they release the thing worldwide, where the market for B-segment is an order of magnitude greater than North America.

I personally think this will be a turning point for Jeep, and secure them financially for many year to come.

So I'm supporting the Jeep fanatics right to be able to buy a Wrangler and talk about how well it could do on the trails when, if ever, they take it there, by buying a Renegade, cruising the mall, and securing Jeeps future.

·
Registered
9 Posts
(Edit by Rivmage)

Jeep is smart. They are not diluting their brand. They are simply adding another dimension to their brand to cater to those who want and need this type of vehicle. I for one. I live in a climate where we don't usually have harsh winters and believe it or not there is pavement all the way up to my house. I don't go off road and doubt I ever will. I see plenty of 4 wheel drive vehicles like Tahoes, Grand Cherokees, etc at Costco as well as the mall. I just choose to do it more efficiently and more responsibly.
You choose a vehicle for your wants and needs as well as I and more than likely they are different. That is why there is more than one choice. Sorry you don't see or understand that......fortunately and thanks to FIAT for seeing the need and re-acting to build such a vehicle

·
Registered
465 Posts
I thought the Renegade had a locking 4x4?

didnt know minivans had locking 4x4s

and 99% of the folks who are buying the Renegade are probably going to be young couples and small families

I am pretty sure if they offered a 6MT or 5MT the takeaway rate would be so puny that dealers wouldn't even bother stocking them.

If they slap a nice bigass engine in with lots of power - noone would buy it because its terrible on gas.

You old school Jeep guys need to start looking at what sells and what doesnt.

Jeep is selling this as a universal Jeep for the regular folks. Not for your Wrangler folks. Though If I had a Wrangler I wouldn't mind getting this as a daily driver.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
At least there still is the option to get a "real jeep". the renegade is probably one of the better vehicles in it's segment, being universal you can only expect so much

·
Registered
953 Posts
It just seems like people are angry because Jeep is doing something new and different from what they usually do. These complaints that the Renegade does not line up with Jeep "heritage" are just silly. I think that you can dislike the Renegade but at least judge it on what it is, instead of complaining that it isn't what you think it should be in the brand.

Sure its not the most off-road capable Jeep ever, but its more capable than a lot of the competitors in the segment. I just don't understand the whole, "this isn't manly enough. this isn't Jeep enough" line of attack.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I don't understand that strange preaching always complaining about Jeep loosing this or that...

No logic is involved in that impulsive reaction from purists who think narrowly in terms of hardcore offroading vehicles only...

If Jeep would listen to these purists it would have gone bankrupt a long time ago...

Wranglers are here for the purpose and as a member stated above, if you ask any of the previous generation of owners it will complain about the product line of its time...

Jeep is doing fantastic job with the Cherokee and the Renegade. Design wise, Fiat is making the right choices to win the global market.

I think the purists should be happy because by selling models like the Renegade, the company will have a healthy life to maintain the lineage of the Wrangler

All in all, if you think a car maker like Jeep can deliver today uniquely Wrangler like Off road trucks with monster V8s and stays alive in the market, you are unfortunately being naive and unrealistic...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nope... never said that I needed it to feel manly. As a man, I prefer traditionally masculine things. I don't wear dresses... does that make me insecure in my manhood? I don't think so.

As to the psychological issues; I'm good. However, you probably should seek some help for your own gender identity issues.

Ah now it all makes sense, if you need a Jeep to make you feel manly well then we're into a whole host of new psychological image issues that really cannot be dealt with over an internet forum. We get it you're about the Jeep image, enough said.

I'm in advertising so naturally the strategy is intriguing. The age old saying is if you're seeing it, its for you. You're seeing it, it must be for you... Put your E-penis away and go back to hanging iron balls off the back of your pickup...

·
Registered
465 Posts
I don't understand that strange preaching always complaining about Jeep loosing this or that...

No logic is involved in that impulsive reaction from purists who think narrowly in terms of hardcore offroading vehicles only...

If Jeep would listen to these purists it would have gone bankrupt a long time ago...

Wranglers are here for the purpose and as a member stated above, if you ask any of the previous generation of owners it will complain about the product line of its time...

Jeep is doing fantastic job with the Cherokee and the Renegade. Design wise, Fiat is making the right choices to win the global market.

I think the purists should be happy because by selling models like the Renegade, the company will have a healthy life to maintain the lineage of the Wrangler

All in all, if you think a car maker like Jeep can deliver today uniquely Wrangler like Off road trucks with monster V8s and stays alive in the market, you are unfortunately being naive and unrealistic...
truth

same reason harley davidson is coming out with these wimpy street models. same reason porsche has to sell SUVs and ugly sedans to fund their sports cars. any successful company has their bread and butter.

and trust me.. the wrangler is not going to be their bread and butter..

what is it about the renegade that makes it such a terrible jeep? because its not a wrangler? :|

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.