Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we've hashed this a couple of times in the past but I have to express my exasperation at the quixotic choices by Jeep. I mean the full gamut of powertrain combinations are available just about EVERYWHERE except for the home market :rolleyes::confused:

Now sure the research probably indicated that North AM shoppers would not take the full range, but what I have to say is that research NEVER dictates anything NEW. Its a rehash of everything available, of course thats always the danger of big data, it shows where people have been not where they're going, want to go or could go.

JEEP'S baby Renegade might have the traditionalists up in arms, but that's not going to stand in the way of some big sales. Jeep has initially earmarked six different engines for the European market; three petrols and three diesels.

These comprise 168bhp turbo and 138bhp non-turbo versions of Fiat's 1.4-litre 16-valve MultiAir four-cylinder unit, plus a normally aspirated 2.4-litre four with 184bhp that's really more targeted at Continental Europe.

Jeep lists four different transmissions on offer, depending on engine choice. There are four-speed and five-speed manuals, a six-speed dual-clutch automatic and a nine-speed conventional automatic.
I'm sorry but I find this MADDENING!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I agree, it's very frustrating. I just hope that the choices we do get don't disappoint.

If we're really a global economy, one should be able to buy what one wants even if it has to be ordered abroad and shipped here.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I agree, it's very frustrating. I just hope that the choices we do get don't disappoint.

If we're really a global economy, one should be able to buy what one wants even if it has to be ordered abroad and shipped here.
Ideally thats what should be done and those that want special orders should have no problem waiting longer to get them, but as long as people get them i don't think their will be any complaints.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I guess that Jeep did the research and determined it wouldn't be as profitable to offer all the power train options in the US. It's a little frustrating, but only if you are one of the people who would like a power train that isn't being offered here. I for one, would not want to have my Renegade shipped in just so I could get the other power train. It must cost a pretty penny to pay for all the delivery charges.

·
Registered
104 Posts
You got to remember all our (US) government EPA regulations, especialy on diesels. It takes a lot of money to meet those regulations. So we get a couple lame choices and have to deal with it. If you got the money to have a vehicle shipped here I hope you saved a few pennys to get it tested to see if it meets epa standards or you won't legally get it licensed. We have a Mercedes vehicle at work that can't be licensed for highway use because its dosn't meet US regulations.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
You got to remember all our (US) government EPA regulations, especialy on diesels. It takes a lot of money to meet those regulations. So we get a couple lame choices and have to deal with it. If you got the money to have a vehicle shipped here I hope you saved a few pennys to get it tested to see if it meets epa standards or you won't legally get it licensed. We have a Mercedes vehicle at work that can't be licensed for highway use because its dosn't meet US regulations.
That is very true, it seems like there are just too many barriers when it comes to making a diesel available in the american market

·
Registered
234 Posts
Sure thats a fair observation, but consider that the 4 cyl diesels especially could and should have a place in the US lineups anyways. Its not as if we're taking about a one time deal for a single model, there could be quite the cadence of models using the newly registered power trains. Dart diesel, cherokee diesel, 200 diesel, PM city, next new jeep, 500d...

looking at the success RAM is having with the 1500 diesel I would assume they want to expand!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sure thats a fair observation, but consider that the 4 cyl diesels especially could and should have a place in the US lineups anyways. Its not as if we're taking about a one time deal for a single model, there could be quite the cadence of models using the newly registered power trains. Dart diesel, cherokee diesel, 200 diesel, PM city, next new jeep, 500d...

looking at the success RAM is having with the 1500 diesel I would assume they want to expand!
The cost of diesel fuel will stop that unless they get the MPG way up there. The US made/designed vehicles that are running diesel are generally trucks focused at lite industry/farming etc. .

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This isn't just about engines, we've also lost out on gearboxes. Whats maddening and I've expressed this elsewhere on the site, is that if you want to tow anything more than plywood you NEED the diesel. The power train combo most capable of towing is not offered to the nations most likely to tow...

·
Registered
194 Posts
This isn't just about engines, we've also lost out on gearboxes. Whats maddening and I've expressed this elsewhere on the site, is that if you want to tow anything more than plywood you NEED the diesel. The power train combo most capable of towing is not offered to the nations most likely to tow...
Yes! Sergio must not understand that...but why didn't the Jeep people push that point?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
It sucks that we're always the last to get diesels if any, they seriously need to do something. Ram bringing the diesel to a 1500 does signal that they might be working to make it more widely available.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.