Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am hoping that people will post in this thread the tools required for servicing, maintaining and repairing the Renegade. While every DIYer has a basic tool kit, most modern vehicles require at least some special tool, whether it is a hard-to-find tamperproof 16 mm, 12 point transmission drain plug bit or a camshaft holding tool.

I am starting this thread for the benefit of all DIYers and selfishly or my own gain. I would like to put together a tailored tool kit before tackling Renegade ownership. Just for transparency, I have been using a basic Metrinch kit (each tool works on SAE and Metric), which I have been supplementing with pieces as needed. Among my basic toolkit are all Rahsol and Craftsman torque wrenches.

My first question would be, are there 22, 19, or 17 mm bits required for the Renegade, and if so, do any of them have to be deep sockets?

Please, if you know a required tool, list:

the description (for example, "camshaft holding bar")
the part number (manufacturer and/or car manufacturer's part number)

For example (not a tool for any Jeep!):

17 mm hex/Allen bit with 1/2" drive: HAZET 985-17

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
There's a few similar threads... See links at bottom of page.
Ah yes, thanks. Still, wouldn't it be nice to have one tool thread for at least the most commonly required tools, instead of having the info spread out all over the place? Same thing with the "which oil to use" threads. They should be merged or maybe eventually get their own sub-forum.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
A tool of destruction wasn't really what I was looking for, but if that's what will put your vehicle out of its misery, fine by me! Fire in the hole![/QUOTE

Posted in wrong place. Should have been posted in the Land Rover repair kit section :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
Over 5,000 members and not one tool?
I'm sure there are a few. Just because the like the same vehicle you do doesn't mean that they're a good person.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
You are of course right. Why have everyone benefit by chipping in information? It's everyone, every tool, for himself from now on.
Ah there it is.

Lamont. Step 1 in public address: know your audience. Everyone's Jeep is still under warranty. Factory accessories are limited to stickers. Tools for this thing are made by Playschool.

As we get to wrenching on this thing, we'll have favorite tools. Just takes time.

Till then, we're having a little fun. Personally, my tool would be a BFH but its made of yellow and orange hollow plastic. ;)

·
Super Moderator
3,685 Posts
I think the issue is that other than having all the right sized torx bits, there's nothing special needed yet. We either need people taking it apart more, or we just have a vehicle that isn't a pain in the butt tool wise.

My last car, the service manual was full of "you can order this tool for $780, or you can grind your own out of a piece of bar stock". Which is what they wanted you to do because it was a $780 piece of stamped steel.

·
Registered
85 Posts
So was I with my hand grenade post. Although there was a hint of seriousness as it would repair a Land Rover...............
Heh. I'd considered buying an older Land Rover, they're cheap around here.

Then I remembered the addage that if you're going to buy one, you should probably buy two...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Well, I guess for me it is a new specialty tool: Oil filter cap removal socket. I have the 1.4L turbo and it has a cartridge type filter (never had a vehicle with a filter like this) that requires a 27mm socket to remove the cap.

You can usually get one at the auto parts store, but for some reason the ones near me didn't have any. Went to Lowes and got a 1 1/16" 6 point impact socket. 27mm and 1 1/16" socket are the same size. Just make sure to get a 6 point socket to prevent rounding the nut.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.