Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the design of the original Jeep Cherokee and comparing it to the design of the Renegade.

It seems that the Jeep Renegade is more of a modern Cherokee than the new Cherokee is. Have a look at my comparison in the image.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Same reason I fell in love with the Renegade the first time I saw it. Once I drove it I was completely hooked. It really reminded me of the '98 XJ I used to have.

I went back to the dealer 3 or maybe 4 more times. Test drove the new Cherokee one of those times - didn't like it. Test drove the Renegade each time I went though.

Eventually they had the Colorado Red on the lot. The rest is history, :)

·
Registered
604 Posts
Wow that does look like it could be a re-skinned Cherokee. I guess it's a good example of the "sameness" of many current CUV designs. Not the Renegade, obviously, but I swear it's getting harder and harder to tell a CR-V from a RAV-4 from a Sportage.

·
Registered
607 Posts
That's why I traded my 95 Cherokee for the Renegade, precisely because the Renny is closer to the old Cherokee than the new Cherokee is. That and I can't stand the styling of the new Cherokee. I just wish they did the Renny in a 2-door version, then it would be even more like my old Jeep.
Yeah, I agree the new cherokee is strange... Doesn't look like it belongs in Jeeps lineup, as the styling is too different from the jeep brand. It looks like a squinty alien...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I agree the new cherokee is strange... Doesn't look like it belongs in Jeeps lineup, as the styling is too different from the jeep brand. It looks like a squinty alien...

LOL. This is awesome! And so true.

·
Registered
95 Posts

In my opinion, driving the Renegade reminds me of the old Ford Bronco II from the late 1970's early 1980's that I had in high school, college. Mine was white and we'd take em' to the beach road where we needed 4 wheel drive to get to. I am showing my age, but WOW those were the days!!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It does make me wonder.... Why did Jeep's designers go the direction of Kia/Honda/etc when they designed the new Cherokee instead of making it look like a bigger Renegade? I realize that different people have different tastes, and the Cherokee sells well, but I wonder if it would have sold just as well with a more Jeep-like design?

·
Registered
604 Posts
It does make me wonder.... Why did Jeep's designers go the direction of Kia/Honda/etc when they designed the new Cherokee instead of making it look like a bigger Renegade?
Well, the Cherokee was designed quite awhile before the Renegade. Jeep seems to have two design themes at present, the boxy Wrangler theme and the Grand-Cherokee theme.

At least the Cherokee's front end, polarizing as it may be, sets it apart from the bland sea of lookalikes out there.

It is unusual, but I have to admit it's grown on me. When I was test-driving a Renegade I saw a dark green Cherokee Trailhawk with the black rims, it was so stunning I just stared at it for several minutes.

In my opinion, driving the Renegade reminds me of the old Ford Bronco II from the late 1970's early 1980's that I had in high school, colleg
Thankfully, our Renegades are more stable in a turn than those old Bronco II's. I knew of more than one getting rolled off a highway exit ramp back in the day, including my next door neighbor's.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Not only in looks but also in dimensions; far closer than the current Cherokee. Although the Renegade is much heaviver than the XJ (but much more fuel efficient while producing more power, how about that?!)

·
Registered
610 Posts
It does make me wonder.... Why did Jeep's designers go the direction of Kia/Honda/etc when they designed the new Cherokee instead of making it look like a bigger Renegade? I realize that different people have different tastes, and the Cherokee sells well, but I wonder if it would have sold just as well with a more Jeep-like design?
Sales volume and profit. The boxy shape is meant to capture sales from those who like the traditional Jeep heritage while the sleeker, contemporary, direction is meant to capture sales from the rest (who'd otherwise shop other brands). Next time you are at a mall parking lot, take a look around and see who is driving those.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not only in looks but also in dimensions; far closer than the current Cherokee. Although the Renegade is much heaviver than the XJ (but much more fuel efficient while producing more power, how about that?!)
The Renegade is heavier than an XJ? I'd have never guessed that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.