Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So news is starting to come out just of just how capable the baby Jeep is going to be. Given costs involved in making a vehicle durable enough to withstand not only challenging terrain but also the torsional stress involved with uneven terrain theres is a fair degree of high dollar manufacturing involved.

If you look at the baby Jeeps driveline compoenents (9 speed ZF, disconnecting AWD, 5 mode traction selector) there may be a premium price takced on, especially in Europe.

It seems the strategy will be to move the baby Jeep into the higher echelons and leave shoppers looking for a cheaper alternative (read no AWD) to choose the FIAT 500X...

Land Rover has charged a high premium for its vehicles in the United States, despite many years of having quality ratings far below Jeep; with production in high-quality, high-cost facilities (Melfi, for Renegade), Jeep may be positioning itself as the Lexus of off-roaders, at least in Europe and India.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I doubt it

The Renegade should be a LOW PRICE Jeep

I don't think it will be priced high. It should be cheaper than the Cherokee - in any market.

Or else people would just get the Cherokee

Which is already a great bargain.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I agree with 4x4.
To me it looks like they want this to be their ultra cheap and super affordable jeep that still lives up to what a Jeep should be without breaking the bank, there will be a limit to all this.

·
Registered
465 Posts
They have the Cherokee to be the more upscale 4x4 and the GC for those who have the need for a larger SUV that is capable (but will cost $$)

The Wrangler for the off road enthusiasts.

The baby Jeep will be the most affordable model for them.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Sounds just about right.
I still want it to be a true jeep though, something we can still hit the trails with, even if it requires a higher package to get the capability

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the BU Jeep is going to be offroad capable, the low cost option will be the 500X. Thats the strategy I've read about so far.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I am sure that it will come with a 4x4

The question is what kind of 4x4

The easiest is to fit a haldex FWD system

But that wouldn't be very jeep now would it.

If they could somehow shrink the Cherokee system that would be nice.

If it had the Active Drive system I would be very happy.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I guess maybe a 4x4 off road system similar to subaru WRX sedans, foresters, etc can be used in the Renegade.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts