Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever notice that most of the mainstream brands offer THE most monotonous paint options. Seas of Silver, Basins of Black and Benign Beige rule the pallets of just about all major makers.

However, Maybe Jeep is giving us new hope? The paint options for the Renegade are anything but benign, with high impact hues like Sierra Blue, Omaha Orange, Solar Yellow and the intriguing Commando Green all promise to keep things interesting!

· Registered
2 Posts
Solar Yellow for me please

That is exactly why I'm strongly considering a Jeep for my next vehicle. It's hard to find a vehicle that I like (and can afford) thats available in any remotely interesting colors. I've had a bright yellow car for nearly 11 years now. I originally bought it to combat the long grey Minnesota winters, now in Atlanta the lack of sunshine is less of an issue, but I've gotten used to knowing where I'm parked at a quick glance. Plus being in the design field it helps me stand out from the crowd.

· Registered
99 Posts
In no particular order, I like the following colors. Omaha Orange (Because it’s not common Silver), Solar Yellow (Because it’s not common Silver), Carbon Black (It is Black Metallic!), Colorado Red (Because it’s not common Silver), Alpine White (Because it’s a clean piece of canvas and I can paint it any color I want). I used to own a body shop and I was a Master Aircraft Painter for a major aerospace company for 15 + years. Don't do it any more, but I still have my equipment in case I ever want to do one or two more cars.

· Registered
953 Posts
I agree that there should be more color choices available. I think the reason why there are a lot of silvers, blacks, etc... is because those are the most popular colors. Most cars on the road are silver. If people want silver, that is what car companies are going to make and sell to people.

· Super Moderator
3,685 Posts
I agree that there should be more color choices available. I think the reason why there are a lot of silvers, blacks, etc... is because those are the most popular colors. Most cars on the road are silver. If people want silver, that is what car companies are going to make and sell to people.
Nah, it's just the evolution of auto fashion vs. environmental regulations. In the 90s all sorts of metal flakes and pearlescent stuff became the trend. Then it ran into environmental regulations, and colors got expensive unless it was a soilid color. That meant you could visit up the Aston Martin both at the big car show, and it would be a master class of mind bogglingly awesome paint (if anyone bought that is a different matter, but I'd visit their booth at the NY auto show jsut to see the paint). So super cars had colors and expensive paint effects, and luxury cars went into the world of deep dark charcoal gray, the business suit of the auto world. All the normal cars wanted to be aspirational, so they could afford to do shades of gray. Only cheap cars were allowed to have cheerful colors. We are just getting back to where a wide variety of colors are possible without insane cost as the technology catches up to the regulations. They are still apparently intent on keeping the paint effects going rather than just solid colors.

· Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Nah, it's just the evolution of auto fashion vs. environmental regulations. In the 90s all sorts of metal flakes and pearlescent stuff became the trend. Then it ran into environmental regulations, and colors got expensive unless it was a soilid color. That meant you could visit up the Aston Martin both at the big car show, and it would be a master class of mind bogglingly awesome paint (if anyone bought that is a different matter, but I'd visit their booth at the NY auto show jsut to see the paint). So super cars had colors and expensive paint effects, and luxury cars went into the world of deep dark charcoal gray, the business suit of the auto world. All the normal cars wanted to be aspirational, so they could afford to do shades of gray. Only cheap cars were allowed to have cheerful colors. We are just getting back to where a wide variety of colors are possible without insane cost as the technology catches up to the regulations. They are still apparently intent on keeping the paint effects going rather than just solid colors.
Exactly. Low and high end of the spectrum have no interest or benefit in playing it "safe", its the mushy middle where character goes to die.

· Registered
99 Posts
Exactly. Low and high end of the spectrum have no interest or benefit in playing it "safe", its the mushy middle where character goes to die.
Willy, ya hit the nail on the head with "The mushy middle where character goes to die." I love it.

…and REG, you got it right too. Solid colors are “Much easier to repair too”. Whether it be parking lot dings or scrapes and scratches with a few minor dents from obstacles off-road. Solid colors repair and blend-in much better than any other. The only exception can (can being the operative word here) be some shades of RED and some shades of BLACK. Silver, Gold, Pearlescent, and any color with Metallic or Metalflake in it are the hardest to match.

Most solid colors today are 2 stage. Base color and a clear coat (top coat). Any body shop that’s worth their weight will sand to the color and blend it in, then top coat with the clear. As long as it’s done right, you’ll never know it’s been done.

· Registered
234 Posts
what you have to consider is that paint options are essentially a form of mercantilism. The automakers offer us paint and we decide which one we want. I'm not sure if people ever really wanted everything silver or thats the best option they were offered? I mean now most companies offer you three white, black and silver options, with maybe a token blue or red tossed in...

· Super Moderator
3,685 Posts
what you have to consider is that paint options are essentially a form of mercantilism. The automakers offer us paint and we decide which one we want. I'm not sure if people ever really wanted everything silver or thats the best option they were offered? I mean now most companies offer you three white, black and silver options, with maybe a token blue or red tossed in...
Part of it was due to environmental regulations on paint vs. the fast-cheap-good triangle of painting cars at the time. The issue has been engineered more form both sides of the vs. at this point, and the whole charcoal gray to light silver thing is getting played out form a fashion perspective.

But did people want grays? Yeah, kind of like they wanted everything some minor variation on racing green metal flake and then champaign (aka metal flake beige). Not really everything, but you do get waves of overwhelmingly popularity for a specific color. Dog wagging the tail, or tail wagging the dog, it's still waht they hit the showroom looking for.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.