Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I decided to buy a UK Renegade after a test drive and to be fair I am happy with the ride and generally the vehicle, but it is the little things that make the difference:

1. On the Limited 6.5 UConnect there does not appear to be a way to update the TomTom maps, I have contacted TomTom, UConnect and MOPAR, each pointing the finger at each other. My dealer has terrible after sales service and freely admitted that they had missed the training course on the Renegade, oh and their Service Techs apparently hate servicing the Renegade.

2. The Forward Collision Warning system has a habit of turning itself off and you need to pull over, to reset it. The dealer couldn't figure that one out.

3. The Speed Limiter sometimes limits your speed, then lets you go 3 or more miles over the limit and sometimes even beeps to warm you about going over the limit. The dealer couldn't figure this one either

I have tried getting answers to these questions from 3 dealers, MOPAR and Jeep US, all with no joy at all, which does cause me concern.

All told a decent car, very small fuel tank, with poor after sales service/ support so far.

Here's hoping it improves.

·
Registered
122 Posts
1) We don't have Nav on the Renegade, but on the Cherokee, the maps are updated / purchased from Uconnect. In the US, we don't have Tomtom maps, they're just Uconnect branded maps. I think the updates (if/when they happen) are close to $150, and in the 3 model years, the Cherokee has seen two map updates. Not exactly great support.

2) No idea.

3) The Speed Limiter is determined by whatever the car thinks is the speed limit in the area, based on nav maps, right? If this is the case, perhaps the Nav Maps have incorrect or inaccurate speeds which allow you to go over the limits without warnings? Is there a Uconnect setting to change the threshold on when it beeps?

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
The fuel tank is a bit small. I've gone from a 60 litre fuel tank down to a 48 litre fuel tank. I can live with that.

I have turned my beep off for the speed limiter. With the speed limiter on and you put your foot to the floor, you will override the limiter. Same with cruise control. The trick is not to put the accelerator pedal right to the metal. Also if you are descending a long hill on a 60 or 70 mph carriageway, you may need to dab the brakes a little as you invariably exceed the set speed on the limiter. I use the limiter around here where there ar 30 and 40 mph limits and in the 200 miles I have done in my Renegade, haven't gone over the set speed in 30 and 40 mph zones.

I don't have forward collision warning so I can't comment on that.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
1) We don't have Nav on the Renegade, but on the Cherokee, the maps are updated / purchased from Uconnect. In the US, we don't have Tomtom maps, they're just Uconnect branded maps. I think the updates (if/when they happen) are close to $150, and in the 3 model years, the Cherokee has seen two map updates. Not exactly great support.

2) No idea.

3) The Speed Limiter is determined by whatever the car thinks is the speed limit in the area, based on nav maps, right? If this is the case, perhaps the Nav Maps have incorrect or inaccurate speeds which allow you to go over the limits without warnings? Is there a Uconnect setting to change the threshold on when it beeps?
You set a value for the speed limiter.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Pick my renegade up Saturday - cant wait.

does this help??

Shopping cart

How do I install my map onto my UConnect Radio Nav?

Total Votes:

Important: Please make sure that you have the correct software version that allows you to update your map (version 11.815.xxxxx or higher). To check the version on your device go to the Navigation Main MenuSettingsMe and My NavigationAbout My Navigation.

In the case of your navigation software displaying a lower version number than 11.815, contact the Fiat Chrysler Automotive service point to see if a software update for your radio is necessary. The radio software update will be offered according to the warranty standards.

Map update available for Fiat 500L, Fiat 500L Trekking, Fiat 500L Living, Alfa Romeo MiTo. The New Fiat Ducato, New Fiat Doblò, Fiat 500X, Jeep Renegade, already have the latest map version. If you need support with your Uconnect™ 5" Radio Nav device, please click here.
Note: Before installing a map, you need to prepare a USB device. [ show me how... ]

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi

Thanks for the responses.

In relation to the Speed Limiter, this works intermittently irrespective of the force I use on the accelerator. Sometimes it will limit my speed, other times it will allow me to go 4 miles over without warning (which in a 50 zone with variable cameras is a nice fine) and other times it will bleep to warn me I am exceeding the speed limit. There is no common reasoning to it and as such I can't see this feature as working correctly.

On the FCW again it is intermittent and will disable itself. The only way to reenable it is to come to a complete stop and mess around on the menus. Again more often than not I have turned this off and left it that way. The only time FCW engaged was at 20mph when a car pulled out 50ft ahead of me and I was just about to slow, but the thing kicked in locked and unlocked the brakes causing a nice burning smell.

The most annoying item is the satnav, the system has S/W Version 15.21.37 and NaviServer 9.10.32.533402. My dealer knows nothing about this since they "missed the training course on the 6.5 UConnect system", and as a dealer are pretty rubbish. The Article referred to by Renegadered mentions a setting in Me and My Navigation >> About My Navigation, however that option doesn't even exist. I have fired off to Jeep in the US to see if anyone can start to point me in the right direction, since the UK Dealer network are clueless. Even better than this, the system registers no traffic alerts at all, so all told the SatNav would appear not fit for purpose, if you can't update it or get traffic alerts.

Any assist on this last one would be fantastic

·
Registered
52 Posts
My other car has a speed warning and not a limiter so I've gotten into the habit of using the cruise control for 30/40 limits (and those 50 average ones on the m'way). I'd presumed the renegade was the same, however I knocked the button the other day so decided to have a play. It sees to work the same way Kevin says, set to say 40mph, it lets you go 1-2mph over then limits you, if you're going downhill it can go higher (ours is an auto so i'm kind of surprised it doesn't drop a gear to slow you down), but then it beeps at you until you slow down below the set speed. If you press the throttle ALL the way down you can override it, and then once past the set speed it seems to let you drive above the set speed with normal throttle inputs until you drop below the set speed, at which time the limiter works again. I'm not sure if i'll carry on using CC for 30-40 limits, or try to use the speed limiter some more.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I think it only cuts the throttle. It probably does not apply the brakes so wont slow you going downhill.
It is probably the same system on the manuals and autos, so wont change gear.

·
Registered
74 Posts
1. The 6.5 doesn't have TomTom maps, only the 5" does. We should be getting TomTom Live services "soon" though. I have been told by Jeep that they expect a release before the end of the year with new maps.

2. Yes, I've had this, this is an issue with UConnect 15.21.37. My dealer got a special update from Fiat to downgrade to 15.04.31. I've not had any issues with FCW+, my speed camera alerts don't turn off. And it remembers where "Home" is most of the time.

3. I've not used the speed limiter that much - I prefer to use the Speed Limit warnings.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
1. The 6.5 doesn't have TomTom maps, only the 5" does. We should be getting TomTom Live services "soon" though. I have been told by Jeep that they expect a release before the end of the year with new maps.

2. Yes, I've had this, this is an issue with UConnect 15.21.37. My dealer got a special update from Fiat to downgrade to 15.04.31. I've not had any issues with FCW+, my speed camera alerts don't turn off. And it remembers where "Home" is most of the time.

3. I've not used the speed limiter that much - I prefer to use the Speed Limit warnings.
Which maps does the 6.5 have?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi

In relation to the Live Service for TomTom, where did you get this information? I have spoken to 4 dealers, 3 who had no idea what you did or even what the system had and one who was convinced that it is definitely TomTom maps. I have emailed FCA in the US and Europe with out any response.

In relation to the FCW and the "special downgrade", 15.02.31 was was the standard at July of this year, so I would suspect that the dealer may have simply done the quickest and easiest thing of rolling back to the original delivery file, rather than fixing the issue.

On the Speed Limiter, to be honest, it is not worth it, other cars limit the speed rather that wavering +4 miles, so I wouldn't bother with it.

Please let me know if you find out anything else, since the UK Dealer network is less use than a wet paper bag.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The best seat covers

When we are talking about having our car clean and neat we need to protect our car seats. Today car seats covers are necessary and available for virtually any car type and size jeep renegade included. Moreover the car seat covers I recently found online at yupbizauto.com are the most reliable and water resistant than any other on market. You can always check for them online on google. And your car will never be dirty again!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi NoNav,

TomTom Live : https://www.driveuconnect.eu/en/system/jeep#
TomTom maps are on the 5"

Downgrade : No, you can't downgrade the software. The official process is to replace, or return the head unit. Fiat did a special, another club raised the profile of my lemon/Renegade.

I agree with you on the dealers, but they Jeep are awful at communication. So if they're not giving the dealer the information they need, then yes, they are going to be useless!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi All

Well so far I am not overly impressed with the SatNav, if it can't be updated and doesn't receive alerts, it is not fit for purpose. I have contacted 3 dealers, emailed MOPAR and Jeep UK, USA, FCA all with complete and utter silence.

The uConnect completely rebooted itself whilst I was driving and reset all settings on the device.

The FCW continues to turn itself off when it feels like it

I have turned the parking brake option off since it sometimes needs you to press the brake pedal and sometimes doesn't dependent on which way the wind is blowing.

And now I have to turn the heating up to 27 degrees before it offers anything but cold air.

Oh and my dealer, lets name and shame SG Petch of York, have no idea about the vehicle "We missed the training course on that" and their technicians don't like servicing Renegades.

All told my feelings towards the Renegade are less than impressive. Would I recommend one to anyone, no, would I recommend my dealer to anyone, **** no (They don't know about the vehicle, knew nothing about the 3yr servicing option, take weeks to respond to emails and calls and generally fill me with no confidence at all).

·
Registered
74 Posts
You're experience is pretty much the same as mine then NoNav.
We need to stay in touch!

I'm waiting for the next release, then I'll be asking Jeep if I can upgrade.
Completely confused how some people seem to have other apps installed on their UK models too...

Hi All

Well so far I am not overly impressed with the SatNav, if it can't be updated and doesn't receive alerts, it is not fit for purpose. I have contacted 3 dealers, emailed MOPAR and Jeep UK, USA, FCA all with complete and utter silence.

The uConnect completely rebooted itself whilst I was driving and reset all settings on the device.

The FCW continues to turn itself off when it feels like it

I have turned the parking brake option off since it sometimes needs you to press the brake pedal and sometimes doesn't dependent on which way the wind is blowing.

And now I have to turn the heating up to 27 degrees before it offers anything but cold air.

Oh and my dealer, lets name and shame SG Petch of York, have no idea about the vehicle "We missed the training course on that" and their technicians don't like servicing Renegades.

All told my feelings towards the Renegade are less than impressive. Would I recommend one to anyone, no, would I recommend my dealer to anyone, **** no (They don't know about the vehicle, knew nothing about the 3yr servicing option, take weeks to respond to emails and calls and generally fill me with no confidence at all).

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Hi All

"...........And now I have to turn the heating up to 27 degrees before it offers anything but cold air"

I have to admit, I've also been starting to think this - running it with AC off. It's only been used on two occasions so will have to wait and see
I only have the poor man's version of standard air con, not the posh climate control. I have turned the heating on full with the air con on and still had hot air. Turned the heating the coldest setting with air con on and got cold air. Wherever I set the heating with or without air con, I get what I want. If only everything in life was like that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi All

So totally fed up with the lack of ownership from the dealer, I have now escalated all of my issues direct to Jeep on 0800 169 2966, choosing the option for customer services (don't try the UConnect option since you are left on hold for 10 minutes and then the phone disconnects).

I will update once I get any feedback from them, but at least I have a log reference and somewhere to go.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.