Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you wish you could speech-enable in your Jeep?
What do you wish it could SAY instead of DO?

The Uconnect already lets you do a bunch of stuff by voice, especially once you link up a sufficiently swanky phone.

I'm talking about the other stuff.

I'll start:
1) I wish I could have a conversation with it. On long trips, it should read me trivia questions, and I can answer verbally, and it recognizes the answer and tells me right or wrong. Like Geordi LaForge in the shuttle in The Mind's Eye. (nerd alert)

2) I wish that when it threw a code, in addition to a cryptic dash light, it would play "service four by four." "Change engine oil soon." or whatever the light happens to be. Out loud. So I don't have to dig out the manual and hunt for the weird little picture of the dash light.

·
Registered
122 Posts
What do you wish you could speech-enable in your Jeep?
What do you wish it could SAY instead of DO?

The Uconnect already lets you do a bunch of stuff by voice, especially once you link up a sufficiently swanky phone.

I'm talking about the other stuff.

I'll start:
1) I wish I could have a conversation with it. On long trips, it should read me trivia questions, and I can answer verbally, and it recognizes the answer and tells me right or wrong. Like Geordi LaForge in the shuttle in The Mind's Eye. (nerd alert)

2) I wish that when it threw a code, in addition to a cryptic dash light, it would play "service four by four." "Change engine oil soon." or whatever the light happens to be. Out loud. So I don't have to dig out the manual and hunt for the weird little picture of the dash light.
Honestly, nothing.

I personally don't like voice enabled anything. :)

·
Registered
604 Posts
I'd be surprised if a smartphone app that does something like this doesn't exist already. If not, it's a pretty good idea for one.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd be surprised if a smartphone app that does something like this doesn't exist already. If not, it's a pretty good idea for one.
Personally, I think there should be nothing built into the car. There should be a kickass interface to integrate your kickass phone, then use all the technology that you already have. It would save car makers millions in R&D, and the experience would be way better than it currently is.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Personally, I think there should be nothing built into the car. There should be a kickass interface to integrate your kickass phone, then use all the technology that you already have. It would save car makers millions in R&D, and the experience would be way better than it currently is.
What you're talking about is Android Auto, or the Apple version, Carplay.

These interfaces are still in the early stages of integration into the market, and there are still questions as to what carmakers will be supporting either or both of them. Hyundai has jumped on the Andoid Auto train already, I believe. Aftermarket head units are also available right now, but are thus far really only attracting hardcore early-adopter types. Wait a couple years and this will be way more mainstream.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What you're talking about is Android Auto, or the Apple version, Carplay.

These interfaces are still in the early stages of integration into the market, and there are still questions as to what carmakers will be supporting either or both of them. Wait a couple years and your wish will probably be granted in one way or another.
I'm an android girl. The problem with the integration is that the interface doesn't really let you use your regular apps. You have to use the google ones. For example, I like Waze for navigation, because you get crowd-sourced speed traps and traffic. Android auto makes you use the google maps gps, which lacks those features. I look forward to the day that my car perfectly mimics my phone in every detail, only bigger.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I'm an android girl. The problem with the integration is that the interface doesn't really let you use your regular apps. You have to use the google ones. For example, I like Waze for navigation, because you get crowd-sourced speed traps and traffic. Android auto makes you use the google maps gps, which lacks those features. I look forward to the day that my car perfectly mimics my phone in every detail, only bigger.
I didn't know that about Android Auto. I'm a Wazer as well, I use it practically every day to avoid traffic and traps on my commute.

On more than one occasion I've had the opportunity to explore backroad places in my area I'd never seen before, when Waze routed me around a traffic jam.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
I would love to see Android Auto (and Apple Carplay for those that use that OS) on the Renegade. Hopefully by the time I get one in late 2016/17 Fiat/Jeep would make it so.

Other than that, just for kicks I wouldn't mind having the vehicle make Star Trek door opening noise when I open or close the doors. :)

TS

Reactions: Gecko7

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone figured out how to use Apple iPhone CarPlay yet? I just discovered the app on my iPhone settings the other day, and don't know how to get it to work or recognize my Renegade.

Otherwise, I'd like for the Renegade to let me know of upcoming inclement weather as I approach a destination, maybe remind me of certain things (like Groceries, or to stop by the store and pick up milk; instead of posting Post-It notes on my dash). Remind me to turn on my lights? I got a warning from a cop the other night; because the street lights were pretty bright, so it didn't register I had my headlights off. Grrrrr. No ticket though. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone figured out how to use Apple iPhone CarPlay yet? I just discovered the app on my iPhone settings the other day, and don't know how to get it to work or recognize my Renegade.

Otherwise, I'd like for the Renegade to let me know of upcoming inclement weather as I approach a destination, maybe remind me of certain things (like Groceries, or to stop by the store and pick up milk; instead of posting Post-It notes on my dash). Remind me to turn on my lights? I got a warning from a cop the other night; because the street lights were pretty bright, so it didn't register I had my headlights off. Grrrrr. No ticket though. :)
The current Uconnect head units in our Renegades do not support Carplay/Android Auto/Mirrorlink, much to my disappointment. They may add support via a software update in the future, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.